GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Window tinting information...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-02, 01:09 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl

well i got it through here:

http://www.autowindowtintings.com/main.cfm?action=laws

i got 4 friends with 35% and 50% front tint and nailed. and one time i had too much time in my hand, and i walked up to a cop in a shopping mall parking and asked him about the front licence plate and the tint. he told me the exact same info? this is about what he said,

"well you can have tint in your front, but it can only be 70%, which is close to nothing. so when we see your car passing by and there is any sort of color in the front, we can stop you. it's a fix ticket for sure."

i'd like to hear more comments too. for the record that's one reason why i don't have tint on all my cars. coz' i wanna do 35% all around if i ever do it

Well, look at the year on the web site, it hasn't been updated in ages. Instated 1999? That information is almost 5 years old! One thing is correct tho, with 70% front windows you might as well not waste money putting on any tints at all. With 35% front, it is still very very light except for raining days.

I don't know for sure, I mean who know besides a lawyer, on what's legal tint but I've never got ticketed for my 35% front tints, I was pulled over by a cop for speeding and he was VERY pissed at me too. The guy was walking around my car trying to find any 'problems' he could throw at me and I am sure he noticed my tints. If 35% was too dark he would've happily slap me with a fine right there.

If you like to 'play it safe' then just go with 70% all around and be happy!

btw, I do meant front driver and passenger side windows. Tinting the front windows are ok, but front WINDSHIELD is not a good idea.
Old 07-19-02, 02:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm... well they update the site whenever there is a new law. the site itself was last updated last yr. i believe the tint law in CA hasn't change since 1999? this is getting interesting. i might just as well go to a police station or CHP to ask them? i mean if i can really put 35% all around (except front) i might really do it.
Old 08-05-02, 03:04 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In California, according to the vehicle code and the CHP officer who stopped me, NO tinting of the front driver and passenger windows is legal, other than what is provided by the factory. An M.D. can write a note if there is a medical reason for these front windows to be tinted. I was on my way to a tennis tournament in Gilroy on 101. Apparently, a CHP car just came on to the freeway behind me and by the time I did my usual check of the mirrors, it was about three car lengths back in the next lane and it was too late to lower the front windows. I was on cruise control, slow lane, at 70 MPH. The cruiser pulled in behind me and two yellow lights started flashing. The officer asked if I knew front window tinting was illegal. Had to tell the truth. I called the owner of California Tinting in Campbell, who did a wonderful job on my five windows, and asked what options I had. He said to forfeit the bail when the notice comes from the Superior Court, meaning, pay the fine. He said in Gilroy, it will be $76 and that would be it, because California could care less if my front windows were tinted. The paperwork came from the Superior Court and he was absolutely right. The coded instructions said that bail could be forefeited for $76 and no further action would be required on my part. The only good part of this is that the CHP officer never went to the front of my car. No front license plate.
Old 05-19-04, 03:23 PM
DVSG3
Driver

Default Ding ding...we have a winner

gs400jon is correct.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

California's own sight says "no aftermarket tint" on front sides and windshield. I see no limit for the rest of the windows as long as you have rearview mirrors.
Does this stop anyone? No! I am going to get tint today and will probably tint the front sides. Oh well. I can live with the consequences. I'm not going limo on them, just a little.
I personally like the darker tint. (I like a little mystery of whose inside) Plus darker = practical for me. I live in the desert and the darker = the cooler temp inside, and more protection for my interior. Just my two cents.

I know this is old but I was interested.

Last edited by DVSG3; 05-19-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 08:19 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Every time there is input to a thread I have participated in, an email comes to notify me. I sold my 1999 GS400 in February (19,300 miles) and picked up a black onyx GX470 with KDSS the same day. Anyway, I have had the back windows tinted "dark" and the front driver and passenger windows tinted "medium". Since the rear windows already have the factory tint, there is some contrast between the rear and front windows. This should help minimize my chances of getting another ticket. With the only unobstructed light coming through the front windshield, depending where the sun is, it can look VERY dark from the outside. It looks great and helps keep the inside cooler with the addition of the windshield heat reflector. I am just getting used to driving from an elevated position and it's great not to be looking up at everything around me for a change. The factory backup camera and side view mirrors that tilt down in reverse gear, have helped a lot in the transition.
Old 05-19-04, 09:33 PM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I live in FL... and its HOT AS *****....

I have 15% on full windshield and 5% + 20% all around.... and i couldnt be happier..

Oh, and i have been pulled over prob 3 or 4 times w/ it like that and cops never say anything about it.

Last edited by LsportGS4; 05-19-04 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 09:38 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

I have 5% tint on all 5 windows. I think its worth it since i had my tint like this for nearly 3 years and had 1 ticket. the ticket was only 10 dollars, so i just removed it and got it retint for 30 dollars. so total cost is 40 dollars per time i get pulled over. i think its totally worth it considering i only got pulled once so far.
Old 05-19-04, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Ding ding...we have a winner

Originally posted by DVSG3
gs400jon is correct.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

California's own sight says "no aftermarket tint" on front sides and windshield. I see no limit for the rest of the windows as long as you have rearview mirrors.
Does this stop anyone? No! I am going to get tint today and will probably tint the front sides. Oh well. I can live with the consequences. I'm not going limo on them, just a little.
I personally like the darker tint. (I like a little mystery of whose inside) Plus darker = practical for me. I live in the desert and the darker = the cooler temp inside, and more protection for my interior. Just my two cents.

I know this is old but I was interested.
man you dig up a post that's like 2 yrs old?!
Old 05-19-04, 11:19 PM
DVSG3
Driver

Default Re: Re: Ding ding...we have a winner

Originally posted by rominl
man you dig up a post that's like 2 yrs old?!
Good times right there huh! LOL. I was bored (and interested in tint), okay! BTW, this was for my NEW IS300 from Eliz at LL. Love it!!! Good stable mate to my GS3.
Old 05-19-04, 11:51 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Full tinting of all side/rear windows is legal in Florida, my favorite place to fish. With all that heat and humidity, you need tinting!
Old 05-20-04, 06:28 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Jmai22
I have 5% tint on all 5 windows. I think its worth it since i had my tint like this for nearly 3 years and had 1 ticket. the ticket was only 10 dollars, so i just removed it and got it retint for 30 dollars. so total cost is 40 dollars per time i get pulled over. i think its totally worth it considering i only got pulled once so far.
in new york it'd cost you a whole lot more then just that..

ticket = $115
remove tint = $50
new film = $50
install new tint = $50
showing middle finger to cop (while your car all tint) = priceless

Old 05-20-04, 06:31 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

i live in FLA and im 18% all the way around...ive had it on all my cars for the last 10 years and ive NEVER gotten a ticket...its all according to your local jurisdiction and if the cop feels like being a jerk he can write u a ticket for just about anything...including not enough tread on your tires (got that once)...if a cop tells me i cant have tint in this south florida heat he's nuts...even the cop cars down here are tinted dark...plus they're too busy bustin crack dealers to write tint tickets...
Old 05-20-04, 07:26 AM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

For the back windows, any shade tint is allowable; however, technically, any shade tint in the front window is illegal.

I had very dark tint at the front on another car. One night, I got pulled over, while visiting Santa Barbara. (I'm from the LA area). He aked what I was doing in Santa Barbara, all the way from LA. With the combination of the dark tint and busted license plate light, he wanted to "check me out" for any suspicious activity. I was honest and told him that I was just visiting. He let me slide and told me to get the license plate light fixed. He said that the tint is too dark in the front windows; but he also has the same on his personal car.

(On the other hand there are just some officers with a lot of time on their hands and just feel like gving out a ticket. Nothing you could do about that. If you have illegal tint, you've broken the law)

The lesson of the story is, dark tint is not always the main reason why someone would get cited...just another reason so that the police officer could "check you out." So if you're not speeding, running red lights, look suspicious, driving with a busted light, etc..then there should be no problem.
Old 05-20-04, 08:17 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Is there any way for me to check what tints I have? I got the car used and it came with tints already. First off, I'm glad the previous owner didn't get that crappy stuff that bubbles and turns purple.

From the looks of it, it looks like the rear doors are tinted SLIGHTLY darker than the front doors (or maybe it appears that way because the front windshield is not tinted).

Anyway, if I had to guess, I would say my rear windshield + my rear doors are at 20%, while my front doors are at 25%.

Is there anyway to confirm this?
Old 05-20-04, 12:16 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

You don't get a ticket for tinting in Florida because it's LEGAL. In California, we have to be extra careful with tinted front windows because of the budget problems in the state.