GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Foglight/ Turning signal problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 08:52 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foglight/ Turning signal problem!

Hey guys. So my 3000k HID's came in for my foglights earlier today so i installed them and decided to take it for a test drive and see how everything was. First of all these definately help the overall light output, AND they look really good! Anyways everything was going good until i used the turning signal. It seems that whenever i tap or fully engage the turn signal to the left or right my foglights shut off then turn back on again. This is very annoying and i know its bad for the ballasts as well. But if i put the foglight turn **** halfway between on and off then it doesnt do it? The only problem with that is after the turn signal clicks back the **** normally goes back to the ON position and the problem resurfaces.

Does anybody know what the problem could be? This is getting very annoying and almost disapointing because the car looks soo good with it's new HID setup. Any help would be appreciated! Already searched, came up with nothing...
Old 09-15-10, 09:38 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Any wiring gurus out there?
Old 09-16-10, 07:26 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy a plug and play kit? How did you do the install? Walk us through a step be step.
Old 09-16-10, 07:52 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 384 Likes on 226 Posts

Too much power for it to handle the fogs and turn signals?

I dunno... lol
Old 09-16-10, 09:01 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

did you try removing the hid's and see if it does it still?

could be the rocker switch going? :\
Old 09-16-10, 09:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Did you buy a plug and play kit? How did you do the install? Walk us through a step be step.
this is the important info....info info info TL

other than that nothing really that major. even if the stem was bad it shouldnt do this and it should easily have enough power to handle both, it handles my HID fogs and turn signals.
Old 09-16-10, 09:46 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for the lack of info. Yes it is a 35w plug and play kit. Basically the install was VERY easy took me about ten minutes. Lights turned on fine, then if i even gently touch the turn signal the fogs shut off/ flicker then turn right back on.

Step by step:
Removed two screws for foglight (need to get hex screws)
Unplugged the harness from fog assembly
Untwisted the stock bulb.
Installed the HID bulb and harness.
Hooked the HID bulb harness to the ballast.
Hooked the harness into the stock light harness.
Used double sided tape and mounted the ballast on the engine cover so it wouldnt fall off.
Reinstalled the foglight.
Repeated for both sides.

Here is a link to the actual kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3475wt_1141

Bulb size 9006.

I can undo the kit and reinstall the stock bulbs to see if it still does the same thing? And i can take pics of the wiring to see if everything is in the right place. But wouldnt it not turn on if the wiring was incorrect?

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it!!

Last edited by TLcoats; 09-16-10 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 09:57 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

You should get a relay kit for your hid kit to assure that you will get constant 12V.
Old 09-16-10, 09:16 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Would a relay kit solve this problem? Im really just wanting working foglights... I mean i can drive around and just not use turning signals, but then the cops would notice. Any more suggestions?
Old 09-16-10, 10:11 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm? Im running a 35w Plug and Play HID kit in my Fogs with no issues. I would look into that switch or wiring in the stalk.....idk. Try plugging it up in another buddies GS and see if its your HID kit. If you lived by me, Id test your kit out for you since its a matter of plug and play.
Old 09-17-10, 08:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

sorry TL i cant get on ebay on the work server so i cant see the specs of the HID kit, check with some of the lighting vendors and they should be able to help you out with this issue. BTW im selling a relay kit in one of my classifieds IF you end up needing one for cheap, i was hoping to get it to stop mine from only powering up one on start up and it didnt so i never used it
Old 09-17-10, 09:11 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

I got DDM slim HID in my headlight and foglights Plug and play works no problem...
if it works you didnt cross the wiring, I would say the wiring is fine I think its the Kit itself Ebay.... If I were you Id just get another different kit theres a thread on here which brand but personally I liked my DDM kits for the price and quality looks good too me
Question do you have upgraded turn signals? Rear LED? or anything else that would draw more power than stock
mine worked with the car off so thats why im assuming its the kit
Old 09-17-10, 11:31 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
sorry TL i cant get on ebay on the work server so i cant see the specs of the HID kit, check with some of the lighting vendors and they should be able to help you out with this issue. BTW im selling a relay kit in one of my classifieds IF you end up needing one for cheap, i was hoping to get it to stop mine from only powering up one on start up and it didnt so i never used it
No worries man! I appreciate the help! I might get that relay kit from you if i can figure out if it solves the problem or not. Worst comes to worst i will have an HID kit for sale in the classifieds too...

Originally Posted by toy4life86
I got DDM slim HID in my headlight and foglights Plug and play works no problem...
if it works you didnt cross the wiring, I would say the wiring is fine I think its the Kit itself Ebay.... If I were you Id just get another different kit theres a thread on here which brand but personally I liked my DDM kits for the price and quality looks good too me
Question do you have upgraded turn signals? Rear LED? or anything else that would draw more power than stock
mine worked with the car off so thats why im assuming its the kit
I'll contact the seller on ebay and talk to them about the problem i'm having with the kit. Worst case scenario i will return/ sell this kit and pick up a DDM slim HID kit like you have.

I have no upgraded turn signals or LED's just stock HID low beams and now HID foglights...
Old 09-17-10, 08:37 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, get a Fog Lamp Relay wiring kit.

Pretty much it consist of a relay, connections to the battery, connection to you existing foglamp wire, and outputting wires to both your ballast.

This ensures that power is not drawn from your existing foglamp wire. It'll utilize the power from battery and trigger from your existing foglamp wire.
Old 09-18-10, 10:34 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

I agree like you know the relay will provide more power but alot of us are using these on the stock harness I think that specific kit probably takes more power im using the 35w also but im sure people even use 55w

Quick Reply: Foglight/ Turning signal problem!