GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is there a DIY for Replacing Engine Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 01:41 AM
Blk04GS430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there a DIY for Replacing Engine Coolant?

Hi, Is there a DIY for Replacing Engine Coolant? I searched the forum and checked the page where all the DIYs are located and I couldnt find a DIY for it.

I am very interested in learning the proper way of replacing engine coolant. A DIY with pictures and instructions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-17-10, 08:41 PM
Grantville
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk04GS430
Hi, Is there a DIY for Replacing Engine Coolant? I searched the forum and checked the page where all the DIYs are located and I couldnt find a DIY for it.

I am very interested in learning the proper way of replacing engine coolant. A DIY with pictures and instructions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Open pepcock, drain coolant, flush system with water, drain water, replace coolant with the good stuff, Toyo Red
Old 09-22-10, 04:53 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pepcock is slow and get stuck sometimes i would just remove the bottom hose and drain into a bucket. it much quicker too
Old 09-22-10, 07:05 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grantville
Open pepcock, drain coolant, flush system with water, drain water, replace coolant with the good stuff, Toyo Red
Definately do not flush it with regular tap water since it contains alot of mineral which can cause deposit. What I would do is the following:

1.) Open the pepcock on the lower left hand(Driver) side of the radiator and drain it completely and replace the pepcock.
2.) Go to parts store and get yourself a bottle of Prestone Radiator flush and pour it into the radiator.
3.) Get a few gallons (6 or 7) of DISTILLED WATER and pour it into your radiator while the car is running with the heater turned high and fully blasted.
4.) Drive around for a day or two
5.) Drain the radiator again and flush it out with a gallon of distilled water.
6.) Now, get a gallon of Toyota Red antifreeze and first pour a gallon of distilled water into your radiator, then pour half a gallon of the toyota antifreeze in the car while the engine is running and heater is on full blast.
7.) Fill the rest of the radiator with distilled water until it overflows.
8.) Leave the radiator cap off the radiator and engine running for another 10-15 mins. with heater on so that any potential air pockets can evacuate.
9.) Tighten the radiator cap and you're good to go.
Old 09-22-10, 08:53 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Definately do not flush it with regular tap water since it contains alot of mineral which can cause deposit. What I would do is the following:

1.) Open the pepcock on the lower left hand(Driver) side of the radiator and drain it completely and replace the pepcock.
2.) Go to parts store and get yourself a bottle of Prestone Radiator flush and pour it into the radiator.
3.) Get a few gallons (6 or 7) of DISTILLED WATER and pour it into your radiator while the car is running with the heater turned high and fully blasted.
4.) Drive around for a day or two
5.) Drain the radiator again and flush it out with a gallon of distilled water.
6.) Now, get a gallon of Toyota Red antifreeze and first pour a gallon of distilled water into your radiator, then pour half a gallon of the toyota antifreeze in the car while the engine is running and heater is on full blast.
7.) Fill the rest of the radiator with distilled water until it overflows.
8.) Leave the radiator cap off the radiator and engine running for another 10-15 mins. with heater on so that any potential air pockets can evacuate.
9.) Tighten the radiator cap and you're good to go.
One should generally not drain the radiator and THEN go to the parts store. Things may explode.
Old 09-22-10, 08:58 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

if you guys dont want to spend the money on distilled water just boil some water or use hot hot hot water from your hot water heater, boiled water is safe
Old 09-22-10, 09:05 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
if you guys dont want to spend the money on distilled water just boil some water or use hot hot hot water from your hot water heater, boiled water is safe
The theory behind using distilled water is not the bacteria, it's the elements in it other than hydrogen and oxygen. Boiled water does not remove sodium, fluoride, Lead, etc... Boiling it won't remove any element that has a boiling point higher than water (about 212 degrees F)
Old 09-22-10, 09:46 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

if its good enough for my body it sure as hell is good enough for my machine
Old 09-22-10, 11:03 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by D-Boi
if its good enough for my body it sure as hell is good enough for my machine
your body needs minerals. Your car doesn't. Keep believing this way and you'll find yourself with a big bill when mineral deposits build up in the water jackets of your engine.