GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned exhaust on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-02, 05:59 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any investigation?

Has anyone ever tried to determine just exactly what causes the “drone”?

Could it have to do with the hanger/mounting components? I know that LT supposedly has the closest thing to stock hanger among aftermarket exhausts – but – maybe the rubber “doughnuts” are made of a different material than oem? I had mine installed by the dealer so I didn’t even get a look at the oem hangers – do they look alike? Why couldn’t someone who still has the old ones try replacing the LT doughnuts with the originals? If something as simple as that could eliminate the noise, I think most of us would do it in a heartbeat. Seems like it's got to be something that transmits the resonance to the car.

Sorry guys, all I’ve got are questions – no answers.
Old 07-27-02, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I don't think my L-Tuned exhaust came with replacement rubber doughnuts.
Old 07-27-02, 07:49 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Any investigation?

Originally posted by garnet92
Has anyone ever tried to determine just exactly what causes the “drone”?

Could it have to do with the hanger/mounting components? I know that LT supposedly has the closest thing to stock hanger among aftermarket exhausts – but – maybe the rubber “doughnuts” are made of a different material than oem? I had mine installed by the dealer so I didn’t even get a look at the oem hangers – do they look alike? Why couldn’t someone who still has the old ones try replacing the LT doughnuts with the originals? If something as simple as that could eliminate the noise, I think most of us would do it in a heartbeat. Seems like it's got to be something that transmits the resonance to the car.

Sorry guys, all I’ve got are questions – no answers.
i think it drones because at a low RPM situation there are bubles in the exhaust, and low pressure so the sound cant cancell very well, which causes a loud resonance... more pressure gets rid of this noise (ie downshifting) just what i always though anyways
Old 07-27-02, 08:38 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Huh

Well, that shoots that theory to hell - I assumed that they came with their own doughnuts. If not, you just used the oem ones then? I still think that there's got to be a solution to the drone - I think a lot of owners would be pleased if it could be eliminated or reduced. I like the sound otherwise.
Old 07-27-02, 10:43 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold mine and put my stock exhaust back on with Ltuned tips...can't say I miss the drone.
Old 07-28-02, 07:50 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GunnerMac
I just sold mine and put my stock exhaust back on with Ltuned tips...can't say I miss the drone.
*If* I decide that I can't live with the drone, then that's exactly what I plan to do because the look of the L-Tuned mufflers at the rear end of the car is fabulous!

I've driven around quite a bit over the last two days and *think* I can live with it. Another week or two will make or break it, though.

I've already told my wife that I may not keep them, and she was pretty much, "hey, it's your birthday present...whatever makes you happy."
Old 07-28-02, 10:00 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SCWells72

*If* I decide that I can't live with the drone, then that's exactly what I plan to do because the look of the L-Tuned mufflers at the rear end of the car is fabulous!

I've driven around quite a bit over the last two days and *think* I can live with it. Another week or two will make or break it, though.

I've already told my wife that I may not keep them, and she was pretty much, "hey, it's your birthday present...whatever makes you happy."
I was lucky enough to get a set of Ltuned tips from a fellow CL member who replaced his tip with the larger Ltuned tips sold during the GB. So I didn't have to cut the tips off a $600 exhaust.

You will get used to the drone...I probably would have kept mine except they were not long enough for my new bumper. The only time the actually bothered me is when I was driving up a long incline. If you have not done so, find yourself a long steep hill...this will probably be the ultimate test.

My wife had a similar attitude...she never complained or said anything about them being annoying, but when I told her I had taken them off, she admitted that she liked the "pre-ltuned" sound better.
Old 08-11-02, 09:14 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Well, two weeks have passed and (unfortunately), here's my answer:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=54626

This is a really tough decision to make, but ultimately I plan to keep my GS for a loooonnnnng time and I just can't imagine trying to dismiss the droning for the next few years. I drove '60s vintage 'Mustangs for 10+ years so it could just be that I was more ready for a more subtle sound than I'd thought...

Last edited by SCWells72; 08-11-02 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-11-02, 11:11 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default You're not alone

SCWells72 – completely understand – my L-Tuned is living on “borrowed time” right now. I won’t go back to stock, but will switch to something else. For me, it’s not a high priority right now, but the LT won’t be on the car 6 months from now.

I wonder if Steve, with this links to L-Tuned parts could inquire about or make them aware (if they don’t know already) of the dissatisfaction with the droning aspect of the mufflers. Unless someone else already has, I’ll e-mail him and inquire (just for grins) - not likely that they’ve come up with some mod that would reduce the objectionable noise though.

I know it’s frustrating – they look and sound great, except for the 2K drone.
Old 08-11-02, 02:53 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

I was watching the history channel the other day and they had a piece on muscle cars. I, as well as my '69 Camaro driving friend, laughed histerically when the experts start talking about the Mustangs. One said "I dont know where people got the idea that 1960's Mustangs where Muscle cars. They were the first car released and then hopped along on the band wagon. The engines were weak and they were not very good."

This is a really tough decision to make, but ultimately I plan to keep my GS for a loooonnnnng time and I just can't imagine trying to dismiss the droning for the next few years. I drove '60s vintage 'Mustangs for 10+ years so it could just be that I was more ready for a more subtle sound than I'd thought...
Old 08-12-02, 08:25 AM
Murph
Pole Position

The 2K RPM drone does not bother me at all. I actually like it. My wife doesn't like anything about my GS so her vote doesn't count. I think she's jealous.

The drone is caused by a natural resonance of the muffler chambers vs the volume of exhaust going thru it. My Corvette's after market exhaust was extremely annoying at 2500 RPM until I installed a crossover pipe before the mufflers. This is a huge issue for 'Vettes so it's readily available as a catalog item from many sources. Possibly this could be a business opportunity for someone good with pipes and fittings. Not sure of the results on a GS though unless someone were to try it. But , if it works, I'm sure they would sell.

Just my opinion...Murph
Old 08-12-02, 04:11 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

When purchasing aftermarket parts, such as an exhaust, doesn't one expect a difference? How can one expect an "OEM" level of sound from an aftermarket part? Maybe I'm missing something here. I happen to love the sound of the L-Tuned exhaust @ all levels of the RPM range as well as the performance. It is exactly what I expected. Just my thoughts.

MAC
Old 08-12-02, 04:57 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 0260n5.7
When purchasing aftermarket parts, such as an exhaust, doesn't one expect a difference? How can one expect an "OEM" level of sound from an aftermarket part? Maybe I'm missing something here. I happen to love the sound of the L-Tuned exhaust @ all levels of the RPM range as well as the performance. It is exactly what I expected. Just my thoughts.

MAC
Absolutely. I expected a difference and even knew about the 2K droning. As a result this is the first mod to my car about which I was apprehensive. Nonetheless I thought I'd try it for a while knowing I might decide to swap back.

Like I said, I'm actually a little disappointed that the single droning aspect is outweighing all of the positives to me, but ultimately I have to be honest with myself and say that I liked it better with the stock exhaust.
Old 08-12-02, 05:07 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Right

Yeah Mac, like SC I knew what the LT sounded like - not oem and didn't want oem, otherwise why change? - we like the general sound, deeper tone, etc. - I even drove a friends GT4 and noticed the drone before I bought mine - I just assumed it was due to some installation problem. Not so. I guess that the "drone" bothers some of us more than others.

Last edited by garnet92; 08-12-02 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-12-02, 05:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

If mine's droning and is a bit loud for me I just speed up, ease off the gas, or downshift - no problem.

Quick Reply: L-Tuned exhaust on the way...