GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned exhaust on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-02, 07:47 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
If mine's droning and is a bit loud for me I just speed up, ease off the gas, or downshift - no problem.
I think SCW's statement pretty much sums up the my decision to go back to stock exhaust also. I found myself adjusting my driving to get rid of the drone and then asking myself, "is this what you wanted". I probably would have held on to them longer if they were long enough for my new rear bumper, but honestly...I think that was just the excuse I needed.

"...ultimately I have to be honest with myself and say that I liked it better with the stock exhaust." - SCWells72
Old 08-13-02, 08:39 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys, did any one call steve and ask him if there are VENTURIES available for the L-Tuned mufflers, they are available for the borlas free of cost.
clive
Old 08-13-02, 04:20 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default An update

clivej – I just got a response from Steve saying that he sent an e-mail to someone at L-Tuned advising them of this problem – the guy wasn’t in today, but will expect some response soon. In the meantime, he said that HI98GS from Hawaii had put some thin sound deadening material in his trunk that “works wonders”. I haven’t yet tried to contact him to find out more. I’ve got some sound deadening insulation left over from my CAB insulation and may try that. So, stand by – maybe some help is on the way.

Didn't ask about any venturi - if there is such a thing for LT, I'd guess that the LT guy will offer that as a solution.
Old 08-13-02, 04:42 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Re: An update

Originally posted by garnet92
clivej – I just got a response from Steve saying that he sent an e-mail to someone at L-Tuned advising them of this problem – the guy wasn’t in today, but will expect some response soon. In the meantime, he said that HI98GS from Hawaii had put some thin sound deadening material in his trunk that “works wonders”. I haven’t yet tried to contact him to find out more. I’ve got some sound deadening insulation left over from my CAB insulation and may try that. So, stand by – maybe some help is on the way.

Didn't ask about any venturi - if there is such a thing for LT, I'd guess that the LT guy will offer that as a solution.
If there's a way to realize the benefit of these puppies without having to "get used to" the droning, let's make it public! Thanks for tracking this down, garnet...
Old 08-13-02, 04:47 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default You got it!

Fully agree SC, the LT's look great, fit great, and sound great - I'd love 'em if it wasn't for that #$%$## drone. If we can find a way to eliminate/reduce that, a lot of CL'ers will be happy campers.
Old 08-13-02, 06:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Thanks for investigating guys. I contemplated putting some dynamat in the trunk but I've never done it before. Plus that stuff is DANG expen$ive.
Old 08-13-02, 06:55 PM
JYOO

Someone needs to hear my carbon fiber drone.
Old 08-23-02, 10:02 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default (Potentially) Good news!!!

I took my GS430 into John Roberts Lexus of Austin today to have a vibration addressed (see my new posting for more info, because it's interesting). While I was there I spoke to the incredibly sharp tech about my opinion on the L-Tuned exhaust. We took a drive in the car and I pointed out the droning. He told me to bring it back in and he feels 100% confident they can eliminate the 2-2.5K droning while preserving the positive qualities of the exhaust (with a set of hose clamps, no less!). I think I'll schedule an appointment with them when I get back from vacation week-after-next, and I'll let you guys know what they come up with.

Hopefully this is the solution for which many of us have been waiting!

Last edited by SCWells72; 08-23-02 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-23-02, 10:19 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default "the drone"

Right Bit, it's not only expensive, it's heavy too.

It's pretty apparent now that the LT isn't the only exhaust with the drone problem. So far, I've talked to 3 Borla owners who say they have the same problem. That must mean that the problem isn't with the LT but with mounting or something like that. If this guy in Austin can solve this, maybe we can get Ethan to create a "Wall of Honor" on CL and we can enshrine his name there. Either that or send him some Godiva choclates.

And SC - how can you go on vacation with something this important on the horizon - please cancel

Last edited by garnet92; 08-23-02 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-23-02, 10:26 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Re: "the drone"

Originally posted by garnet92
And SC - how can you go on vacation with something this important on the horizon - please cancel
Hah! Maybe I'll see if they can take me Tuesday or Wednesday. I leave town on Thursday and won't be back until the following Tuesday. Trust me...right now the beach is SO MUCH MORE important than the droning! Work has been killing me!

I'll keep you posted...