GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned exhaust on the way...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 08:59 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking L-Tuned exhaust on the way...

Carson Toyota gave me a ring yesterday to let me know that my L-Tuned exhaust is on its way to me! I've scheduled an installation appointment for next Friday morning. I went back and listened to the before-and-after MP3 that someone posted a little back, and that just made me more excited about the impending package!

While they're working on it I plan to ask how they'd feel about a TC or LSD in the car.

I'll give impressions once it's installed to add to the ongoing set of post-install reactions.
Old 07-18-02, 10:04 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Hold on to you stock exhausts (unless some thing is wrong with them).

Dont get me wrong the Ltuned exhaust sound great. The drone inside the cab is annoying after a while. With GS4, in "M" the drone can be significantly reduced.

Has any one figured out a simple solution. Spraying the underside with some ???coat. How safe is it next to exhaust?

Salim
Old 07-18-02, 10:18 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

[i]
Has any one figured out a simple solution. Spraying the underside with some ???coat. How safe is it next to exhaust?

Salim [/B]
It is safe to do but I don't think it will help out that much! If anything its gonna make your car a little heavier.
Old 07-18-02, 01:06 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Default ????????????????

or you could have your whole cabin lined w/ Dynamat...seems like a hassle though.

I love my L-tuned cans, the "drone" for me (GS3) comes at around 2500RPM. I actually like it for now. We'll see how long that lasts, though. DO keep your stock exhaust, at least for when you want to get a new vehicle.

You'll love 'em.

Eric
Old 07-18-02, 10:50 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SCwells,

You'll love 'em. Trust me on this 1. Why have a shop install it? 4 bolts and about 30 minutes later, this DIY install is worth it! 1 on a 1-10 scale (1 being easiest). Save the $$ and spend it on something else. It really isn't that hard.

MAC
Old 07-18-02, 11:07 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

0260n5.7: yeah, but don't forget you need to lift car up in order to change exhaust, i mean it's not like you can do it on the ground.
Old 07-18-02, 11:40 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

a1,

You got an exhaust? You install it? I know what it takes. I just did it 2 weeks ago. Believe me it is VERY easy!

MAC
Old 07-18-02, 11:58 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

no i dont have exhaust..

i'm still thinking everything over about my mods that i want to put in my car, instake, exhaust, and others..

it might be easy but once again you need to lift up car, so you need to rent one of those lifts and they wouldnt let you do that .. unless you have some friends..real good one in fact who trust you..

i know installation cost $50-$150 of exhaust so it doesn't sound that bad..

although i'm sure if i add up all installs cost it will come out for another very good mod

thats one of the reasons i kinda slow on this.. $$$ i'm sure everyone had this problem once back in the days..

if someone live somewhere around NY and could help me with some of installations of mods i would consider them a lot more then i do right now .. even though that some of installs are supposedly very easy to do.

i'm kinda of afraid to do anything by myself in my car due to i'm not technician (i'm sure lots of people not techinican too) but still ..

so if anyone lives around, PM me or email me

heh

alexus
Old 07-19-02, 12:03 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another happy L-Tuned exhaust lover...
Old 07-19-02, 07:08 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 0260n5.7
SCwells,

You'll love 'em. Trust me on this 1. Why have a shop install it? 4 bolts and about 30 minutes later, this DIY install is worth it! 1 on a 1-10 scale (1 being easiest). Save the $$ and spend it on something else. It really isn't that hard.

MAC
Well, really for two reasons: 1) I want the exhaust under my warranty and L-Tuned stuff is *technically* under warranty only if installed by the dealer; 2) The dealer is charging me almost nothing for the installation as part of my 25K mile servicing visit.
Old 07-26-02, 02:18 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Smile L-Tuned exhaust installed

Okay...I just picked up the car from the dealer and drove it home in early rush hour traffic. My immediate response to the exhaust is mixed.

It looks GREAT! No question about that!

When you crank the engine, you get that WOOF that Bit talks about when you get him on the L-Tuned exhaust topic. Under acceleration it makes that Lexus V8 sound amazing!

So the real problem is that I now understand the 2.5K RPM "drone" that people have talked about, and I'm not sure if it's going to bug the crap out of me or not.

I plan to drive on the exhaust for a good two weeks or so to see if I get used to it. That's what I did with the TRD sways and LCB and I'm REALLY glad that I kept them (after initially thinking they'd firmed the ride up too much), so I figure I'll give this a chance as well.

I'll get back on my medium-term response to the new pipes in a few weeks.

Regardless of the droning, GOOD LORD that engine sounds good under WOT!!!
Old 07-26-02, 03:00 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

FYI for those checking this thread...I have the RMM exhaust.

No drone whatsoever. It does look good. Weighs a ton and build quality is half-***.

Hope you like it.

Now if you can just get UN-used to the sways! I'd buy them in a heartbeat!

RYan
Old 07-26-02, 03:09 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

at first i loved the drone of my exhaust, then it started getting annoying, and now im really used to it and i honestly dont like driving cars unless i can hear the exhaust at all times. Sitting in the back seat of my car does give me a head ache because the droning is amplified back there, but i wouldn't never trade the sound for anythign else.. i love knowing the engine is right there humming along with me...

in the end its all whether u would rather always here the car or if sometimes u just want silence. There are moments when I, or my mom would rather the car be compleatly silent but i find myself likeing the noise more than silence. also when u take ur foot of the gas it is silent.. no matter what exhaust u have! (unless ur engine braking)
Old 07-26-02, 03:18 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I got RMM exhaust also, they are great, no droning
i would recommend RMM exhaust
Old 07-26-02, 05:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Since I e-shift all the time now if it starts droning I just downshift (usually to M3). Moves the rpms up and the car sounds a lot QUIETER overall.

Quick Reply: L-Tuned exhaust on the way...