GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how much did for 60 k service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 11:36 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
For $1200, I hope it includes a "Lexus like" B.J. from a "Lexus like"model.
But what will the women get?
Old 07-18-02, 11:37 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Drimweaver88
Longo Lexus charge $298.00 for 60K service...i think you are getting way overcharge!!
What city is longo in?
Old 07-18-02, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by meanboy

What city is longo in?
logo is in el monte. if you know about the roads in LA, it's on 10, between 710 and 650. if you go from santa monica, you will take 10E, and get off at perk road north (sp?) hope my memory serves me right

longo lexus and longo toyota are right next door. i believe longo toyota is the biggest toyota dealer in CA? how about nationwide? i can tell you the dealers are HUGE, plain HUGE.

i got my first car, a camry, from longo toyota, and got serviced there all the time. now i am in san jose, but since couple of guys (at lesat gs4will) work there and so many members recommend, i might just drive down from time to time to have my car serviced there.

i have to go down to visit my gf anyway
Old 07-19-02, 12:49 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 60K price will vary depending on whether or not you need a valve job...I have noticed that not all 60K jobs include the same thing...all do the basics (plugs, all fluids, filters, etc.) but some might or might not do stuff like valve jobs, rotate the tires, etc., etc...

You guys that have prices might want to call and find out EVERYTHING that they do for their 60K tune-up...

And when you get it back, check to make sure they did everything they said they would do...check the filters to see if they're new...etc,. etc...some things will be hard to check (like spark plugs or a valve job but you should be able to hear the difference on a valve job)...
Old 07-19-02, 04:59 AM
LexFather

In everyone's owners manual (well one of those books), in the back it explains every service and what is done. That should let you know what you need and how much you should pay
Old 07-19-02, 05:52 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

<<GSPOWER: If you in NY I can help you with better price on this.>>

a1exus,
What dealership in NY do you recommend. I just turned 50k on mine, and my dealer wants $1200 for the 60k service.
Thanks.
Old 07-19-02, 06:35 AM
dt21823
Driver

I would be willing to bet that some of the difference people are seeing in quotes for the 60K is because different dealerships have a different list of items for the 60K. I know my dealership always included the items listed as optional in the owner's manual as part of the standard service, so I always had to tell them what I didn't want done. I finally got fed up and switched to a shop that specializes in Lexus service, uses Lexus parts to keep your warranty intact, and charges about 60% of what the dealer does.

Ray
Old 07-19-02, 07:30 AM
BkInBlk
Rookie

Default 60K Service

I had the same problem when I brought my LS in for service - $1,100. I thought that this was absurb. After a number of discussions with the service rep as to what they did for all of this money, I took a different approach. At the back of the manual there is a section that explains all of the items that they do at the 60K service. Notice that many of them say "inspect." I would bet that most of these procedures don't get performed! I decided which service items that I wanted them to perform, such as tranny fluid change, new plugs, etc. and asked them to just quote me for these services. Items such as oil, coolant, air filter I could get done elsewhere for a lot less money. I ended up spending about $350.00.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-02, 07:35 AM
Yoda
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by dt21823
I would be willing to bet that some of the difference people are seeing in quotes for the 60K is because different dealerships have a different list of items for the 60K. I know my dealership always included the items listed as optional in the owner's manual as part of the standard service, so I always had to tell them what I didn't want done. I finally got fed up and switched to a shop that specializes in Lexus service, uses Lexus parts to keep your warranty intact, and charges about 60% of what the dealer does.

Ray
Hey Ray,

What shop do you use to service your car?
Old 07-19-02, 08:09 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

What's crazy is that we have to get our timing belts replaced at 60K miles. Why is that when every other car out there (it seems like) gets their timing belt replaced at 90K miles?
Old 07-19-02, 08:46 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

The GS400 does not change the timing belt until 90K miles. Look in your service manual. If you change it out on 60K you are just wasting money.

My local dealer in NJ wanted around $1200 for the 60K service. No way I was going to pay that money for mostly 'inspections'. I called a toyota dealer that was going to do it for $500 plus parts. I ended up buying all of the needed parts from Steve at Carson for around $120, then having my local mechanic do the service for $200. $320 total, a printed report on all the inspections, and my warranty to 100K is perfectly intact.

I would never pay the dealer to do this simple service. The big question now is how much are they going to rape me to do the 90K service (timing belt)...
Old 07-19-02, 09:01 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

Default Re: How much for 60k service?

Originally posted by GSPOWER
Hey how much did you guys pay for your 60k service on a GS400.... this dealer is charging me $1250!!! That seems ridiculous to me.
GSPOWER... what dealer is that? I just called LEXUS of CONCORD and they are charging $699 for the service... hope that helps since you're from the bay
Old 07-19-02, 09:03 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

Originally posted by theanimala
The GS400 does not change the timing belt until 90K miles. Look in your service manual. If you change it out on 60K you are just wasting money.

My local dealer in NJ wanted around $1200 for the 60K service. No way I was going to pay that money for mostly 'inspections'. I called a toyota dealer that was going to do it for $500 plus parts. I ended up buying all of the needed parts from Steve at Carson for around $120, then having my local mechanic do the service for $200. $320 total, a printed report on all the inspections, and my warranty to 100K is perfectly intact.

I would never pay the dealer to do this simple service. The big question now is how much are they going to rape me to do the 90K service (timing belt)...

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY ESTIMATE PRICES ON THE 90K service???
Old 07-19-02, 09:26 AM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

In my repair manual, I thought that it said the timing belt was replaced at 60K. Can anyone else confirm this in their manual?
Old 07-19-02, 10:07 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Lexus Coporate

When you bought your Lexus you got a set of owner's manuals, If you're just simply too dumb to bother to read them then you well deserve to be ripped off by any dealer willing to do the deed.

But, for those of unwilling to read for whatever reason, simply tell the dealer's service writer that you ONLY want the factory recommeded "non-rough" service scheduled maintenance done, and be sure it's written up on the service order in that way before you sign it.

If, in the end, you still end up with what seems an exorbitant price, then it might be worthwhile to hire a consultant who has the time and patience to read your owners manual for you and check the factory recommedations against what the dealer has done.

Even following the above procedure I had dealer's do a ridiculous amount of unnessary work and in one case they "refunded", struck from the bill, over $500 from a $700 invoice.

Quick Reply: how much did for 60 k service?