GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how much did for 60 k service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-02, 10:32 AM
GSPOWER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: How much for 60k service?

Originally posted by soakgame

GSPOWER... what dealer is that? I just called LEXUS of CONCORD and they are charging $699 for the service... hope that helps since you're from the bay

Okay... now i'm getting even more pissed off now. Magnussen is changing the alternator belt and adjusting the throttle body for the 60k service. For their 90k they are changing the timing belt. They said they are doing this because it will "spread the cost" over the two service instead of a big one at the 90k.... That is such BS because Magnussens two services cost more than $1200 than Concord... and both dealers end up doing the same thing!!!!

Magnussen's Lexus Of Fremont
60k - 1200 (alternator belt + adjusting throttle body)
90k - 1927 (timing belt)
---------
total 3127

Lexus of Concord
60k - 699
90k - 1195 (timing belt, alternator belt, adjusting throttle body)
---------
total 1894
Old 07-19-02, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by kevs
In my repair manual, I thought that it said the timing belt was replaced at 60K. Can anyone else confirm this in their manual?
nop, mine says 90k
Old 07-19-02, 01:06 PM
BkInBlk
Rookie

Default Timing Belt

You are wasting your money doing the timing belt at 90K. The original Lexus recommendation (1990 cars, etc) was for it to be replaced at 60K. However, they were noticing that there was no wear at 60K and moved the recommendation to 90K. Even so, this is for visual inspection only. If it is cracked, it should be replaced. But it is highly unlikely that it will be cracked at 90K. On both of my previous cars, (92 SC & 93 LS), I replaced them at about 125K.

Last edited by BkInBlk; 07-19-02 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-19-02, 02:48 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Lexus Coporate

When you bought your Lexus you got a set of owner's manuals, If you're just simply too dumb to bother to read them then you well deserve to be ripped off by any dealer willing to do the deed.

But, for those of unwilling to read for whatever reason, simply tell the dealer's service writer that you ONLY want the factory recommeded "non-rough" service scheduled maintenance done, and be sure it's written up on the service order in that way before you sign it.

If, in the end, you still end up with what seems an exorbitant price, then it might be worthwhile to hire a consultant who has the time and patience to read your owners manual for you and check the factory recommedations against what the dealer has done.

Even following the above procedure I had dealer's do a ridiculous amount of unnessary work and in one case they "refunded", struck from the bill, over $500 from a $700 invoice.
Old 07-19-02, 02:54 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

I think that Lexus has a real issue on their hands with this. Can you imagine how many idiots go to Fremont's Magnussen for service and have no clue they are getting screwed? What a joke. I never would have assumed that dealers had full control of service components and cost.

I figured Lexus had a buttoned up operation. Obviously not!

--
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, depending on the year and model of your car. The 1st gen LS,ES,GS and SC you can wait until 120K for the water pump and timing belt because the engine is interference free. The 1995 LS and up is dome type piston is rec. at 90k, if the timing break it will bend the valves. All the engines with VVT-i will do the same damage if it break. It part of the prevention maintenance and a peace of mind. It the same thing when you have your brakes and tires checked before it too late and you end up spend more money than you choose.
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for those in north cali, from what i have checked prices around here are all very high, and totally unreasonable imho. luckily i have family in LA, i have decided that i will go back to LA and have my car serviced at longo lexus. veronne is da man, and will (gs4will) works there too so they know about clublexus and members here. i have 30k miles, and i need to flush the tranny. dealers around here they all quoted me over 200 (around 250) for the service, but veronne quoted me only 150. i am doing it next weekend.
Old 07-20-02, 03:38 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Strange..

How is it possible that an interference type engine causes the timing belt to wear out sooner? Or be more prone to failure after 90k vs 120k?
Old 07-20-02, 05:09 PM
PeteF
Driver School Candidate

For what it's worth: An interference engine may not wear out the belt sooner. However, when it does break you will bend valves and possibly do all kinds of nasty damage to your engine. Suffice to say, you will be stuck somewhere with an undrivable car and a hefty repair bill. By changing it at 60 K you know that you're safe (even though it may last much longer). With a non-interference engine the belt can break and the worst thing that can happen is that you'll need to replace the belt. Whenever I buy a car with an interference engine I change the belt. I can't trust the previous owner and prefer to know exactly how many miles are on the belt.
Old 07-20-02, 06:19 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Timing belt

The only reasons for a timing belt to fail are wear and/or a manufacturing defect. I could argue that it should be replaced every 10K since I don't want to die if it fails at in the middle of a desert.

Just seems wrong to me.
Old 07-20-02, 06:23 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Timing belt

Originally posted by wwest
The only reasons for a timing belt to fail are wear and/or a manufacturing defect. I could argue that it should be replaced every 10K since I don't want to die if it fails at in the middle of a desert.

Just seems wrong to me.

Every 10K ?????:eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 07-20-02, 07:28 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Timing belt

Originally posted by wwest

Just seems wrong to me.
Or you should buy a car with a metal timing chain.
Old 07-21-02, 08:58 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Metal

They used to ALL come that way. Over time and use they would st--r---e----t-----c-----h and if you didn't replace them in a timely manner they would jump cogs and....
Old 07-21-02, 10:39 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

It seems that more of the complaints I have heard are from rubber belts failing.

I could be wrong but if a metal chain stretched enough a jump a cog would there be enough play to hear the chain hitting the cover?
Old 07-21-02, 01:02 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Verge of trouble

The next time you're setting beside a vehicle with the valves clacking due to the need for oil have a look at who's driving.

Yes, driving along I often hear the sound of a water pump bearing failing and it used to be I would hear that awful sound of a timing chain that was on it's last legs/links.

Quick Reply: how much did for 60 k service?