GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Removing Rear Door Panel with door closed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 12:48 PM
caddy1971
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Rear Door Panel with door closed

Hello, I'm in a jam here. I replaced the passenger side rear lock motor about a year ago and it started acting up again. Then when it finally went I tried to manually move the door lock button and something either broke or a clip came off. Now the door won't open using the inside or the outside handles. I called the dealer they said we "might" be able to get the door panel off without destroying it. I would like to know how they plan on doing that since there are 3 screws in the door jam that you CANNOT get at even with the rear seats out.

I just want to get the door open! I can fix the lock mechanism. Has this happened to anybody, and how did you get the door open?
Thanks
Old 09-30-10, 01:28 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm... dont think this can be done while door is shut...
get a repalcemnt panel at a junkyard and rip off the old one
Old 09-30-10, 02:59 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I was installing my new handles on the outside and forgot to hook up all the cables SOMEhow through anger and frustration I pulled up just right with the door handle, and it came right off! But then again all the screws were off... hmmm... best off breaking the casing around the inside door handle and sticking your hand in there to pull the cable and open the door. Better than ripping the whole door off at least you can glue the handle casing back on or just leave it open.

good luck
Old 09-30-10, 04:11 PM
dealer374
Driver

You can try this might not work though you'll need a buddy. I had an 85 Caprice with a similar problem couldnt either handle to work. Open up the front door and remove the hindge bolts you might be able to "suicide" or wedge the out of th striker or whatever or maybe have the buddy get a finger or screw driver in there while you hold the door. I worked for me different car but same concept.
Old 09-30-10, 04:28 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is going to be pretty difficult without destroying your current door panel. i've taken off many of these doors to know lol.

If you take the screw out fron inside the inner door handle (covered with the plastic square) you might be able to finesse the cover out to which you can pull the two metal lead wires one which is the door and the other is the lock.
Old 03-05-11, 07:24 PM
darrylg33
Rookie

Have to bump this
I have the same issue as the original poster. The cable and ball have come out of the lock switch in the LOCKED position. I've already replaced an actuator and I know exactly how everything is situated and the only way to unlock these doors is to get a hold of that cable and pull--problem is after spending a lot of time examining the situation and even deconstructing the other door, I can't figure out a way to get at that cable without destroying the trim panel which I don't want to do because it's sportdesign burlwood-almost impossible to find as a replacement. Any one else ever have and solve this issue??
Old 03-06-11, 08:56 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by darrylg33
Have to bump this
I have the same issue as the original poster. The cable and ball have come out of the lock switch in the LOCKED position. I've already replaced an actuator and I know exactly how everything is situated and the only way to unlock these doors is to get a hold of that cable and pull--problem is after spending a lot of time examining the situation and even deconstructing the other door, I can't figure out a way to get at that cable without destroying the trim panel which I don't want to do because it's sportdesign burlwood-almost impossible to find as a replacement. Any one else ever have and solve this issue??
Whether the ball is on or off, you should still be able to use the master lock switch to unlock it.
Old 03-07-11, 08:21 PM
darrylg33
Rookie

Possibly, but in my case it isn't-i hear the actuator motor moving but since the car is in the locked position it's not opening....guess I'm going to have to take the other door apart completely to assess what actually is going on. You may be correct in your assessment and there's another issue-ie cable or arm problem within the car-either way I'll still need an alternative to get in there, still looking for suggestions that don't involve breaking or cutting panels....
Old 06-02-11, 01:39 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

any updates on this? For some reason my lock completely went out, and my door is closed. (rear passenger door)
Old 06-02-11, 07:41 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to me... Luckily I had the wood insert off of the door panels so I used a hole saw and made an inch or so hole where the wood goes and then pulled the cables through that hole. Since I am assuming your wood is still on the door panel, you would destroy the wood but save the panel. I cant see any other way...
Old 06-02-11, 09:23 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't remember how much space is behind the door trim panel once it's assembled, but it may help pulling the window switch panel out and trying to unlock from behind to minimise damage to the panel (assuming your cable isn't in correct position).
Old 06-03-11, 01:34 AM
Lee2jz
Driver School Candidate

I have had this happen to both my passenger front and rear doors. Luckily, for me, the rear somehow started to function again. But as for the front, with the window rolled down, i took off the chrome trim on the very edge of the panel on the window sill. I then had enough room to fit a long pair of needle nose pliers to grab the lock rod and there u go. Should be similar process for the rear.
Old 06-03-11, 11:16 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

been there done that , however on my situation my window was broken, but either way we ended up pulling on it til we slid our hand in there and pulled the wire
since you opened it before you shud know where the wires that need to be pulled are located
its a tug and war process just dont tug and pull too much
( get someone with skiny hands )
Old 06-03-11, 05:02 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lee2jz
I have had this happen to both my passenger front and rear doors. Luckily, for me, the rear somehow started to function again. But as for the front, with the window rolled down, i took off the chrome trim on the very edge of the panel on the window sill. I then had enough room to fit a long pair of needle nose pliers to grab the lock rod and there u go. Should be similar process for the rear.
Great advice, I actually ended up using this method. Worked like a charm and no damage. Thanks again to everyone who responded!!!!
Old 06-03-11, 07:26 PM
gsthree
Rookie

Haven't looked @ mine yet, but I wonder if you remove the rear seat. After removing the seat you might be able to access the screws. Idk

Quick Reply: Removing Rear Door Panel with door closed