GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

540i faster than GS??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 08:36 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion: BMW 540 gets the nod for its transmission; accelleration about the same if you don't have a stopwatch; and the Lexus is superior in reliability and service. As far as the world's fastest production sedan, haven't we forgotten the M5?
Old 07-22-02, 09:17 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by dipstick
My opinion: BMW 540 gets the nod for its transmission; accelleration about the same if you don't have a stopwatch; and the Lexus is superior in reliability and service. As far as the world's fastest production sedan, haven't we forgotten the M5?
No one has forgotten the M5, or CLK55 or XJR. As was stated earlier is was a specific claim of the fastest auto sedan at the time. It was a very specific and short-lived title.

Last edited by LexRX; 07-22-02 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 09:17 PM
LexFather

AC, that you!!! Welcome aboard dude!!!

The best race (and only really) with a 540, took it from 70mph to 120mph, the cars are EQUAL. I never broke from him, he never broke from me. The only times one of us got ahead of the other was when we had to go around traffic. I missed my exit racing that dude, he was cool too we both gave the thumbs up (with huge smiles on our faces).

GS, cm'on it was a SUPERCHARGED Jag and it was not like it was a second quicker to 60. M5 is faster ( a stick), E55 is also a limited model, as is the new Type-R XJ.

Old 07-23-02, 01:15 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Actually, I think the MB CLK55 is the fastest 4-door automatic vehicle. Anyway, I raced my friend's 540i to about 100, and I was half a car in front. Switched with him with me driving, and almost the same result. I think it is close in performance, but the GS edges the 540. Whatever car gets the jump, you will be locked there until you reach 100, and then the GS will slowly pull away. If there are curves in the road, advantage is to BMW, if it is a straight shot, advantage to the GS.
Are you thinking of the E55?? The CLK is a 2-door my friend.
Old 07-23-02, 05:22 AM
Lexusfanatic
Rookie

Originally posted by Toog4me

Are you thinking of the E55?? The CLK is a 2-door my friend.
What he said
Old 07-23-02, 07:07 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

My mistake, I was thinking of the E55. Those CLK have been on my mind lately! lol

I actually test drove one, and that thing is a beast! It felt faster than the M5 (which I test drove also), and the thing is, all you had to do is hit the gas! No worries on shifting!
Old 07-23-02, 07:17 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I don't know Lexciting I test drove both too! I know if the sales guy could have gotten my payments 1000.00 a month I would have bought that M5. The E55 didnt feel that much faster than the GS4 IMO but the M5 was a whole different story!
Old 07-23-02, 07:52 AM
ACDinan5
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
AC, that you!!! Welcome aboard dude!!!

The best race (and only really) with a 540, took it from 70mph to 120mph, the cars are EQUAL. I never broke from him, he never broke from me. The only times one of us got ahead of the other was when we had to go around traffic. I missed my exit racing that dude, he was cool too we both gave the thumbs up (with huge smiles on our faces).

GS, cm'on it was a SUPERCHARGED Jag and it was not like it was a second quicker to 60. M5 is faster ( a stick), E55 is also a limited model, as is the new Type-R XJ.
Sup BUBBA!

I agree, the E55 didn't feel much faster than my modded 540, if any faster. Handling was dissapointing. The CLK55, although Im sure is the same, felt faster and peppier than the E55. The M5 was too smooth for me to judge which is faster. I guess when they're all that close, it's virtually impossible to say one is faster than the other hands down.

Just curious, what dyno numbers are you GS4xx owners getting from your cars? Stock vs. modified.

Thanx guys.
Old 07-23-02, 08:12 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Like I said, the E55 felt faster because the M5 was a lot smoother on the takeoff. In the E55, the tires lit up, and the car shook hard while trying to get traction. That is why it felt more powerful, and faster. Shifting in the M5, was smooth, and I didn't get the power rush like the E55. But to the M5's credit, I didn't realize how fast I was going until the salesperson asked my to slow it down! lol If I had a choice, I would go with the M5.

As far as sticking to the subject, with the 540/GS4 comparison, whatever car gets the jump can make the difference. If the 540 is in front, the GS will walk it down, if the GS is in front, the 540 will not get in front.
Old 07-23-02, 09:04 AM
ACDinan5
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LexCiting
Like I said, the E55 felt faster because the M5 was a lot smoother on the takeoff. In the E55, the tires lit up, and the car shook hard while trying to get traction. That is why it felt more powerful, and faster. Shifting in the M5, was smooth, and I didn't get the power rush like the E55. But to the M5's credit, I didn't realize how fast I was going until the salesperson asked my to slow it down! lol If I had a choice, I would go with the M5.

As far as sticking to the subject, with the 540/GS4 comparison, whatever car gets the jump can make the difference. If the 540 is in front, the GS will walk it down, if the GS is in front, the 540 will not get in front.
I agree with you, I had the same exact experience. Also, I think the x55 felt faster due to the louder exhaust thus giving me the illusiont that the car was actually faster.

As far as who's faster and who's walking down who, I hope the guy that started this thread will go out and have some fun with his buddy and post results.

I was looking at your mods...very impressive! What type of dyno numbers are you achieving and have you taken your car out to the track yet?
Old 07-23-02, 09:30 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey ACDinan5 post some pics of your car. I assume you have an AC Schnitzer 5 series tuned by Dinan????? What dinan stuf you got done and wut 5 series is it????

Sorry to go off topic.

Honestly I believe the 2 are neck and neck, straight line I think the GS 4 will take it by maybe half a car length if that. On the twisties tho....the gs4 will get a smack in the face.
Old 07-23-02, 09:37 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

When I say "walking down", I am talking at the top end (125mph+ stock vs stock). Outside of that factor, the cars would be locked in their respective positions.

My car dynoed at 359rwhp/307.5lbs, but I had a compression leak (2 pistons), and that was keeping my numbers lower than expected. Didn't get it to the track, but recorded some major kills on the street (SS Camaro, S4, CLK430).

Here's the link: Lexciting Dyno

Since I already needed some work on my engine to stop the leaks, I decided to let SRT do some R&D on my car. I will post results shortly, and hoperfully, I will be passed those numbers.

Lee

Last edited by LexCiting; 07-23-02 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-23-02, 10:09 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

As far as 0-60mph times go...
I subscribe to Car and Driver. They did a comparison of luxury sport sedans (540iA, GS430, Audi A6 V8, MB E430, etc.) some time ago.

Their official acceleration numbers were:
540 (auto) ==> 5.7 sec
GS430 ==> 5.9 sec

Also, there has not been an official timing of 5.8 second or lower for the GS430 (in Car and Driver or Automobile), which suggests that Lexus may be a bit optimistic with their performance figures.

A lot depends on the particular car tested as well. I figure it would be safe to say that the two cars are about the same 0-60.
Old 07-23-02, 11:15 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
As far as 0-60mph times go...
I subscribe to Car and Driver. They did a comparison of luxury sport sedans (540iA, GS430, Audi A6 V8, MB E430, etc.) some time ago.

Their official acceleration numbers were:
540 (auto) ==> 5.7 sec
GS430 ==> 5.9 sec

Also, there has not been an official timing of 5.8 second or lower for the GS430 (in Car and Driver or Automobile), which suggests that Lexus may be a bit optimistic with their performance figures.

A lot depends on the particular car tested as well. I figure it would be safe to say that the two cars are about the same 0-60.
I take the car magazine numbers as an approximate guide like most people here. Since I've found C&D to be biased towards BMW and Acuras for years, the numbers above are consistent with our experience that the two cars are the same 0-60.
Old 07-23-02, 11:31 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Specifications

Base Price, USD 69,100
Engine Type sohc V8
Powertrain Layout front engine/rwd
Displacement, cc 3996
Horsepower@rpm 349@5500
Torque ft-lb@rpm 391@3000
Curb Weight, lb 3680
0-60 mph, sec 4.8
1/4 mile, sec@mph 13.3@107.1 600 ft slalom, mph 65.9
60-0 mph, ft 114 Top Speed, mph 155

I cant remember if the CLK or the E is Mercedes fastest car. It seems that the E55 is their fastest AMG tuned one. Those numbers are pretty impressive. Im guessing with the supercharger for the GS3 it should be able to do just about the same tricks as the E.

Along time ago, Car and Driver put a test out between the E55, the porsche 911 carrera 4, nsx zanardi, and a few other cars. The E killed almost all of them in the qm, 0-60, and a few other tests, but got downscored because of handling.

Sorry to go off topic!

Quick Reply: 540i faster than GS??