GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

540i faster than GS??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-02, 07:23 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 540i faster than GS??

My good friend just bought a 99540i.Its an automatic with tiptronic.It can shift down to first gear which is nice.So anyways i got to take the car for a nice drive.From a stop I tried it in M-1 and I wasnt expecting as much low end torque.It was a very smooth yet powerful takeoff that put me back in the seat a touch.I shifted at close to red into second then third and was going strong.I then tried from a stop in regular drive with similar results.Now was time for the highway drive and I'll tell ya from like 60 to 125 or so was like nothing(just like the gs

Now it may have been the fact that the handling stock vs a stock gs is superior but it felt IMO to be slightly faster than a stock GS4xx in on the x-way as well as from a stop.

Another thing I think it may have been is the way the car is geared.In 3rd for example I felt more throttle response.

What are some of the expected numbers on a 540 say in 0to60 and 1/4 mile.

Also what are some of your opinions on this topic.

By the way I completely love and am bias toward the Gs model and wouldnt trade for a 540i for a minute(is that how its said,in a minute,for a minute or do I need a yo at the end
Old 07-20-02, 07:54 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Seat of the pants is never too helpful in picking the quicker of two fairly well matched cars; the published numbers suggest that a GS4 should certainly handle a 540iA, but the driver is important, and the subjective stuff (BMW mechanical sounds more apparent in cabin) is a very effective placebo.

No one disputes that they build fine cars from the driving experience standpoint.

But I've made my choice and it's been the same choice 3 (5, if you count wifey's) times in the last 22 years. Now, if only I could get a stick and 3 pedals in the GS4, God would be known to be in his heaven and the world would be spinning in well greased grooves!
Old 07-20-02, 08:03 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Hmmm, I say we close this tread NOW. Some preventative maintenance :eek: You know what I'm talking about!
Old 07-20-02, 08:08 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW has better transmission response. I know this because I felt my 330i 's throttle is better than GS...
Old 07-20-02, 08:36 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexRX
Hmmm, I say we close this tread NOW. Some preventative maintenance :eek: You know what I'm talking about!
LexRx I dont see why we shoudnt be able to have a healthy discussion or debate if you like with some different opinions.Its not like the thread reads 540 is a better car than a Gs.I have a feeling you posted this with a hint of sarcasm am I right

Mooretorque, correct me if I am wrong because I don't have all the facts but doesnt a stock 540 have better handling than a stock GS.I know that is one of the first things alot od us adress first is handling.I mean taking a off ramp at 60 in a Gs IMO is not comprable to the handling of a 540. ~oops sorry edit: I just reread your post and you meant handle as in handle in a race rather than outhandle.

Even with handle being used in that context I am not so sure a gs400 can handle that car so easily.IMO its close.

Last edited by BadBtsz4u; 07-20-02 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-20-02, 08:59 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by BadBtsz4u
[B]

LexRx I dont see why we shoudnt be able to have a healthy discussion or debate if you like with some different opinions.Its not like the thread reads 540 is a better car than a Gs.I have a feeling you posted this with a hint of sarcasm am I right
Yes, I am full of sarcasm...seriously.

I agree with the healthy discussion, I actually enjoy it, wish we could do it more on subjects like this, but I just have the feeling that someone will screw things up with biased opinions. Maybe we should have a "mature members" discussion thread
Old 07-20-02, 09:07 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexRX

Yes, I am full of sarcasm...seriously.

I agree with the healthy discussion, I actually enjoy it, wish we could do it more on subjects like this, but I just have the feeling that someone will screw things up with biased opinions. Maybe we should have a "mature members" discussion thread
Yeah right that would be somethin.Talk about a controversial topic,"mature members".So do we have a list of who is excluded or somethin:eek: Can you think of anyone who will make or depending on how you look at it not make the cut?
Old 07-20-02, 09:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Real world

Well..There are some real world experiences posted in the Racing Forum.
If going by published numbers, stock auto vs stock auto, the GS is quicker and faster. This is also backed up with several real world experiences . I have over 35+ kills against 540's. ZERO LOSSES. A few ties. Most of the kills -20+- have come against my buddies 540 auto.
The GS easily outbrakes the 540, and published numbers even show the GS with better skidpad and slalom numbers.
But...stock....the 540 has a very nice "connected to the road feel", and less body roll which goes a long way for the amateur to build confidence.
A 540 6 speed is a "tad" quicker than the GS from the hole-so im told, but my experience against them on the highway is a dead even run. Others may have different experiences.
My suggestion to answer your question:
Go race him with your GS4. You will have your answer at that time.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 07-20-02 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-20-02, 09:18 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by BadBtsz4u

Yeah right that would be somethin.Talk about a controversial topic,"mature members".So do we have a list of who is excluded or somethin:eek: Can you think of anyone who will make or depending on how you look at it not make the cut?
It would be difficult - nearly impossible to create such a forum. I certainly couldn't judge someone on such a subject...who am I to say? Purely hypothetical.

I'm a little sarcastic, crazy maybe, but arguably mature in most respects. Just try not to think too hard about my sig. pic

As for the 540i vs. GS in speed. They are so close, it depends on the driver.

Last edited by LexRX; 07-20-02 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-20-02, 09:28 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

your friend just got a 99 bmw 540...if i remember correctly that's about the time when lexus was able to claim the GS4 as the world's fastest 4 door sedan.
Old 07-20-02, 09:42 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah the gs4 and the 540 are so closely matched that it all comes down to the driver and how well you know your car, Ive beaten the 540 before and Ive tied with a few Ive only lost to1 but I had 3 people in the car and he barely beat me
Old 07-21-02, 12:22 AM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Default Re: Real world

Originally posted by Pearlpower
Well..There are some real world experiences posted in the Racing Forum.
If going by published numbers, stock auto vs stock auto, the GS is quicker and faster. This is also backed up with several real world experiences . I have over 35+ kills against 540's. ZERO LOSSES. A few ties. Most of the kills -20+- have come against my buddies 540 auto.
The GS easily outbrakes the 540, and published numbers even show the GS with better skidpad and slalom numbers.
But...stock....the 540 has a very nice "connected to the road feel", and less body roll which goes a long way for the amateur to build confidence.
A 540 6 speed is a "tad" quicker than the GS from the hole-so im told, but my experience against them on the highway is a dead even run. Others may have different experiences.
My suggestion to answer your question:
Go race him with your GS4. You will have your answer at that time.
Real world experiences.Pearlpower, I agree its the best way to find out.

As far as me racing him I have an unfair advantage but it willbe fun to do when we get a chance

You know how it goes I think 540 drivers will say its close but they have the edge and we say its close and really have the edge See well there ya have it , there I go again I cant help it Im just too dang bias towards the GS LOL

Last edited by BadBtsz4u; 07-21-02 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-21-02, 03:04 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

BadB, you're right, I meant "handle" as in 0-60, 0-100, quarter mile numbers that have been published. The numbers, on paper, favor the GS but as biggie pointed out, those numbers ARE close and the GS driver can certainly lose if not good, quick and careful. Half a second on paper doesn't amount to much in the real world, where reaction times can vary by that much and even the cars will differ, due to production tolerances, by a few tenths.

And stock 540 handling is, indeed, superior to GS. BMWs have long been known for excellent handling right out of the box. Our GSes have to be massaged a bit (altho the brakes, even stock, feel strong enough to stop the earth's rotation).

Old 07-21-02, 09:43 AM
RacingAristo

BMW 4.4liter V8 spec:

Horsepower: 282 @ 5400
Torque: 324 @ 3600
0-60 mph in 6.9 sec.
1/4-mile in 15.2 sec.
Top Speed: 128 mph
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lexus 4.3liter V8 spec:

Horsepower: 300 @ 5600
Torque: 325 @ 3400
0-60 mph in 6.3 sec.
1/4-mile in 14.5 sec.
Top Speed: 149 mph
I've never lost any race with 540 manual, not even tie. If you look at the spec, there is nowhere that BMW can compete with Lexus at "straight line" in stock.

I agree, while I was driving BMW, I felt that my car was faster but in fact it wasn't. That is when our butt-o-meter gives false feeling/information.

Old 07-21-02, 10:00 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RacingAristo
BMW 4.4liter V8 spec:

Horsepower: 282 @ 5400
Torque: 324 @ 3600
0-60 mph in 6.9 sec.
1/4-mile in 15.2 sec.
Top Speed: 128 mph
Lexus 4.3liter V8 spec:

Horsepower: 300 @ 5600
Torque: 325 @ 3400
0-60 mph in 6.3 sec.
1/4-mile in 14.5 sec.
Top Speed: 149 mph
I've never lost any race with 540 manual, not even tie. If you look at the spec, there is nowhere that BMW can compete with Lexus at "straight line" in stock.

I agree, while I was driving BMW, I felt that my car was faster but in fact it wasn't. That is when our butt-o-meter gives false feeling/information.
I'm sorry to say but the BMW is alot quicker then those numbers you posted!!! I say do a little more research. Just being honest don't want no BWM guys over here bashing because of that number posting

Quick Reply: 540i faster than GS??