GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs300 engine blew up, glad i didnt own a lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 05:03 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CSHFLW
but Lexus does not hold there value, that is true....but nissan doesn't at all either. Honda, Acura, BMW and Mercedes if you want you money out of it.

And I think the the 2JZ-GE motor is a fine motor, it has been tested for years and years in supras, older GS's, IS300's and GS300's and is considered great. But at the same time I have taken my GS into the shop many many many more times then my BMW......
Not my GS. It's been in the shop about quite a bit less then my old bmw.
Old 07-22-02, 05:35 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Im compairing two new cars.
Old 07-22-02, 05:47 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

but Lexus does not hold there value, that is true....but nissan doesn't at all either. Honda, Acura, BMW and Mercedes if you want you money out of it.

And I think the the 2JZ-GE motor is a fine motor, it has been tested for years and years in supras, older GS's, IS300's and GS300's and is considered great. But at the same time I have taken my GS into the shop many many many more times then my BMW......
CSH - I'm curious as to exactly how many time you have had to take you GS to the shop and for what reasons?
Old 07-22-02, 06:05 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Let's everybody keep in mind that the term "reliable car" does not really apply to the car itself, but rather, an entire line of cars. Reliability ratings are derived from pooling data for all cars and then dividing the number of incidents by the number of cars manufactured.

So when people say that Lexus is more reliable than other cars, it just means that statistically, it blows up less than others - doesn't guarantee that your car is not going to break down.
Old 07-22-02, 06:19 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what clutch?
Attached Thumbnails gs300 engine blew up, glad i didnt own a lexus-bs.jpg  
Old 07-22-02, 06:37 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by gs4will
not all cars are perfect..have you ever heard of brand new german cars' engine caught on fire during the first year of ownership?....transmission went dead at 45kmiles?....i have owned several cars so far, and in general, japanese hold their true reputation in terms of quality and reliablity...though one/two models of the new infinitis already have recalls..but i still do not write them off in my book for possible future ownership...here are my experience with japanese cars:

94 GS300(as the one you had), bought it at 15k miles, sold it at 95k miles...the buyer still chat with me from time to time as the car is still running smoothly...

79 honda accord, my first car, bought it at 47 k miles, did not know what is "maintenance", oil was not changed for 12 k miles...sold it at 150 k miles, everything was fine and AC wascold as hxll...

1991 honda accord, 5 speed, bought it brand new...traded it in at 125k miles, everything original, including the clutch...

two other lexuses presently gracing our garage...no worries...like energizer bunnies...just keep on going...and going...

btw, i get lists of current lexus vehicles that come into our dealership for service, do you know how many i have seen per day have over 150 k miles and still only require nothing but routine maintenance...we call them and try to get them into new ones, and they always politely declined....or they simply come in and buy another lexus or toyota...

:eek:
Thats right gs4will preach it !
Old 07-22-02, 06:43 PM
LexFather

Back in the day, I would have told this dude to shove a large inanimate object sideways up a place directly related to Infiniti sales for the past decade.......

First off you bought a high mileage car, maybe on the 30th owner or something. You probably replaced at that stuff cause you wore the car out and only replaced things when they BROKE (Instead of preventive maintenance).

Last edited by LexFather; 07-22-02 at 06:59 PM.

Old 07-22-02, 06:57 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

Well, I think I am going to echo everyone else's sentiments. Lexus, as shown by several organizations, and by personal experiences of everyone on this board, is known to be a reliable car brand, as is the mother company of Toyota. But, having said that, it doesn't mean that EVERY car is reliable, or not prone to problems. I can tell you that most German and American brands are much less reliable than a Japanese brand. Ever hear about fires in the X5? Go on over to roadfly.com or mbworld.org and scan some of their posts.

Conversely, if you treat a car like ******, don't maintain it, etc, you get what you deserve. Without knowing any history of this car that your purchased used, or knowing exactly what an engine blowing up means or how it occurred, we can't give you any realistic advice. Quite frankly, for an engine to blow up in the way that I am thinking of, it is amazing that any car would still be salvageable after that, and for only $5000 to fix.

People tend to take what the sales rep at the dealer says as set in stone. I have many times had to show the sales rep how to do something in a car or tell him/her about a new feature/model. They typically know nothing, except that they need to go to the finance person to find out a price.

A look at some of his previous posts points out that he indeed was selling a car in late December, early January, was interested in the G35, and besides the clutch, did in fact have those problems back then.
Old 07-22-02, 07:00 PM
LexFather

Well said!!!

Old 07-22-02, 07:19 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this thread right after he posted it, but didn't have time to post...good to see you guys got him for me I was kind of curious on the clutch as well, (though I'm a new and first time owner), not to mention that he *****es about replacing common known wearing parts that need replaced on any car, on a car with close to 100k on it? Another point to notice is that he says the "entire engine blew", I'm guessing this is some kid that doesn't even drive yet, and daddy just got ripped on a Infinity...any takers?? Anyone with any clue would not refer to a blown engine like that, knowing that there are many components that might cause the engine to stop running.

Oh, and btw- a new shortblock from toyota is around $1700, and a head about 500, so either the techs are making $500,000 a year or thats also a big BS flag to raise.
Old 07-22-02, 09:57 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Im compairing two new cars.
Ah, I would never buy a new BMW based on my experiences with a used one.

I bought a used one years ago and it had 66k miles...all service records, and there were a lot of service records, from the original owner. I added to those records and by the time I sold it 10k miles, the bearing in second gear was worn(a known defect of bmws) the clearcoat was cracked very badly, the fuel pump went out, the clutch master/slave was replaced, the clutch went out(probably from the previous owners driving). There was more but I can't remember them all. AutoSportHaus and another independent shop did all of the work..except for a few things at German Motors(defunct).

I bought a honda accord and except for a bad fuel pump it never was in the shop. I drove it 45k without a problem. I had a Mustang GT and I kept it for 10 years. It had less problems then that old bmw. Not the best fitting body parts in the world but it ran and stopped and nothing really broke.

I know it sounds like an old story but it's one that costed BMW a sale forever(used or new) and I don't hesitate to tell my friends the horrors if they ever ask me about my experiences.
Old 07-22-02, 10:32 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

And I had a mustang GT and the tranny went out at 5k miles.
Old 07-22-02, 10:58 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Well, if you don't know how to shift it...J/K Actually, at least the older ones, had Borg Warner T-5's. With a stock motor or even a medium modded they are very strong except for a slight problem with hard 2-3 shifts. Very easy to solve with $150 Hurst short shift kit. Works real well. I know quite a few mustang owners, modded and stock, and the only time I have heard of a busted tranny is my friends auto GT. He blew 7 trannys. Stock or even modded AOD trannys do not match up well with engines with superchargers. Higher stall doesn't help either.

Unfortunately, my experience with a BMW is not that uncommon. You're lucky if you get a good one.
Old 07-22-02, 11:49 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Not

Original post is a bit on the flaky side. Probably trying to chap our hide.

GS4WILL, what other Lexus do you own? If you don't mind answering. I thought the GS was the only one.
Old 07-23-02, 12:17 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Yup...clutch replaced on a gs3...since when did any gs come with a stick(u.s.a. only)?

Quick Reply: gs300 engine blew up, glad i didnt own a lexus