GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs300 engine blew up, glad i didnt own a lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 01:37 PM
glaze2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gs300 engine blew up, glad i didnt own a lexus

When i bought my 1993 gs300 i had the intention to keep it forever after hearing numerous storys of lexus's being able to runn 300,000 without any major problems. When i bought the car it had 123,000 kms on it, and after a year the kms were getting to me, wondering if i was going to have any problems. A year after i bought it, i traded it on a infiniti g35, but i regreted it after the fact because i was certain my gs would have gone forever, plus i lost alot on the trade it, because these things dont hold there value. I heard from the infiniti dealership that i traded it into, that 4 months after i traded it, the entire engine blew up, at a cost of $5000 to the dealer. I was so happy that i didnt own this car anymore. Even thought it was a 1993 i would have expected that it would have gone alot longer before something like that happend to the engine. Apparently lexus cars are not what i thought they were, after having to replace the starter motor, cd player, brakes, tranny, and so much more in the short time i owned this vehicle. That was my first and last lexus i will own. I just thought i would share this story with you because i am disapointed that this vehicle did not live up to lexus's reputation. And to anyone considering a first gen GS used, i would strongly advise against it. These cars do not hold there value at all, and talking to other gs owners in my city, they have had all the problems i have had, and also say they would never buy another one.

Last edited by glaze2001; 07-23-02 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-22-02, 01:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Re: gs300 engine blew up, glad i didnt own a lexus

Originally posted by glaze2001
I heard from the infiniti dealership that i traded it into, that 4 months after i traded it, the entire engine blew up, at a cost of $5000 to the dealer.
Not that the blow-up is beyond the realm of possibilty... but I'd suggest that the Infinity dealership might have just a bit of vested interest in the story they told you. I always take everything a dealership tells you with a grain of salt (including the Lexus salespeople). Their job is to promote their brand and brand loyalty.

I also hope they stuck a turbo in there for that kind of cost for an engine rebuild.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-22-02 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 01:59 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not all cars are perfect..have you ever heard of brand new german cars' engine caught on fire during the first year of ownership?....transmission went dead at 45kmiles?....i have owned several cars so far, and in general, japanese hold their true reputation in terms of quality and reliablity...though one/two models of the new infinitis already have recalls..but i still do not write them off in my book for possible future ownership...here are my experience with japanese cars:

94 GS300(as the one you had), bought it at 15k miles, sold it at 95k miles...the buyer still chat with me from time to time as the car is still running smoothly...

79 honda accord, my first car, bought it at 47 k miles, did not know what is "maintenance", oil was not changed for 12 k miles...sold it at 150 k miles, everything was fine and AC wascold as hxll...

1991 honda accord, 5 speed, bought it brand new...traded it in at 125k miles, everything original, including the clutch...

two other lexuses presently gracing our garage...no worries...like energizer bunnies...just keep on going...and going...

btw, i get lists of current lexus vehicles that come into our dealership for service, do you know how many i have seen per day have over 150 k miles and still only require nothing but routine maintenance...we call them and try to get them into new ones, and they always politely declined....or they simply come in and buy another lexus or toyota...

:eek:
Old 07-22-02, 02:15 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i haven't posted for a while but i just HAVE TO post now.

if you read what this guy says he said he replaced teh clutch... is it just me or was there no manual trans for the 1993 GS300? esspecially not in canada... sorry buddy but im putting up my b/s flag.

Old 07-22-02, 03:03 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i caught that mistage too.

as for the first GEN GS. i think they are a very reliable car. i'm 18 and i have one and i love this freakin car. very dependable. first 3 months i had the car i put around 4,000 miles on the car i loved it soo much. this car is awsome. i think you just got a bad car. or a salvaged car that was fixed but not fixed properly when you bought it.
Old 07-22-02, 03:12 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: gs300 engine blew up, glad i didnt own a lexus

Originally posted by glaze2001
...When i bought the car it had 123,000 kms on it...
Also consider the maintenance history. Did you have all the records of the GS for the miles before you owned it?

You can buy ANY car preowned, and if it wasn't maintained, you will have failures.

Just something to consider before blabbing how the engine/car was such a failure.
Old 07-22-02, 03:27 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of the conditions of your GS when you trade it in? The trade in value is base on how old of the car, engine+mileages+interior+exterior conditions of the car and etc,,,
You just trade in your GS about what 4-6 months ago and you drove it for a year, so you've brought a 7 years old car right ? And now the engine blow up on the car that it's not even your any more. So, why are you up set about it. Or you just p!!s off because the Ifinity dealer ripped you a new one on the trade in.
Old 07-22-02, 03:28 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

I saw the clutch thing too...
Old 07-22-02, 03:35 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I hear Audis are a fine vehicle.
Old 07-22-02, 04:08 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Yeah I think dude just got RIPPED off at the Infinity dealer and went back to get his car back and they told him that story. $h!t my cousin has a 94 with a 134,000 on his and I bet he does'nt change his oil on time:eek: but it still running! I have 88,000 on my 98 GS400 and I drive the ***** out of it
Old 07-22-02, 04:09 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Glaze,
Before you "glaze" over the combined number of GS300 owners here and the experience they've had with their cars, why not ask what mileage they have or had in their cars and what major repairs, if any, had been done.

I'm sure that on average the Lexus GS300, and the entire Lexus line has infinitely far fewer repairs than the Infinity G35 or the entire Infinity line of cars.

If you think these owners are biased, check the Consumer Reports survey of car ownership experience.
Old 07-22-02, 04:41 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default BS

Ditto on the BS flag. Note for anyone coming in to the club... Know what the heck you are talking about, 'cause we sure as hell do. Even if this was true abvout this GS engine blowing up which based on the printed info sounds very fishy.... it's pretty shallow IMO to think that just because 1 car has a problem, all cars of the same make/line are a bad investment. That my friend is BS..... Please get your facts straight before attempting to trash a car.

I am Out......
Rock
Old 07-22-02, 04:44 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

but Lexus does not hold there value, that is true....but nissan doesn't at all either. Honda, Acura, BMW and Mercedes if you want you money out of it.

And I think the the 2JZ-GE motor is a fine motor, it has been tested for years and years in supras, older GS's, IS300's and GS300's and is considered great. But at the same time I have taken my GS into the shop many many many more times then my BMW......
Old 07-22-02, 04:55 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I think my clutch is starting to wear too. Where's a good place to get it replaced? Maybe I'll get a short-shifter, too?
Old 07-22-02, 05:02 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BLEW ENGINE

GLAZE...

I BELIEVE U JUST HD A BAD LUCK WITH THAT GS OF YOURS. WHO USED TO OWN IT MOST LIKELY DIDN'T TAKE CARE OF THAT CAR AS MUCH AS ANYBODY HERE. WELL, IT HAPPENS...........BUT U CAN'T SAY LEXUS CARS ARE NOT NO DEPENDABLE OR RELIABLE AT ALL WITH REGARDS TO HIGH MILEAGE. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE OWNER HOW GOOD AND DEDICATED THY ARE IN TAKING CARE OF THEIR MOTORS.

Quick Reply: gs300 engine blew up, glad i didnt own a lexus