GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DRL defeat solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-02, 07:53 AM
Flexor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL defeat solution

Here is a way to turn off your DRL's without having the high-beam idiot light on all the time. Since your DRL's do not turn on when you have the parking brake on, this procedure will make your DRL relay think that the parking brake is still on and still give you full use of your high-beams.

1. Remove the glove box.
- two bolts on bottom, 3 screws on top and pull down.
2. Disconnect the wire harness from the DRL relay (light green box located just to the right of the glove box labeled Running Light Relay).
- push down on the retaining tab and pull harness out of socket. You may want to unbolt the relay to give you more room to work with.
3. Remove the yellow/black stripe wire and remember what slot you pull it from (This is the lead from the Parking brake switch).
- there are 2 retainers that hold this wire in place. The first is a white rectangle box on the bottom of the connector that holds all of the wires in place. Use a knife or small screw driver and pull up to release. The second retainer is a very small one that holds each individual wire. Look at the empty slot next to it to see what I am talking about. Use a very small screw driver or a pin to lift while you pull the wire from the back. Tape this wire off with electrical tape.
4. Run a wire from this slot to the white/black stripe wire (ground wire).
- I was able to get a wire with the same female connector from my local dealer for free (Thanks Woodfield Lexus). If you can't get one from your dealer, you can cut about 2" off the yellow/black stripe wire that you just pulled out (I left my wire intact to make it easier to put back in case they enforce a DRL law). Put the new wire in the same slot that you pulled the yellow/black stripe wire from. Strip about 1/8" off the other end of the wire. Pull the white/black stripe wire partially out of the slot and insert the new wire into this same slot and push the white/black stripe wire back in. Push the white retainer back down to hold everything in place.
5. Put everything back together.
Old 07-23-02, 09:33 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default DRL defeat

Didn't I publish a method a while back for an 00 GS3 that only involved some minor work in the fuse panel just forward of the battery?
Old 07-23-02, 10:48 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

What years does this apply for? I have a 99 GS3 and I have a switch to enable DRL. It doesn't come on when I put it on AUTO everything, only when i put it on AUTO for my DRL. Did that make sense?

Can you explain in detail what you're talking about? I'm muy confused.
Old 07-23-02, 10:50 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by brendanlim
What years does this apply for? I have a 99 GS3 and I have a switch to enable DRL. It doesn't come on when I put it on AUTO everything, only when i put it on AUTO for my DRL. Did that make sense?

my 99 GS400 doesn't have that feature. The DRLS are always on.
Old 07-23-02, 02:13 PM
Flexor
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by brendanlim

brendanlim,

If you have a switch to control your Daytime running lights than you do not need to do this. I don't have that switch so my DRL's were on all of the time except when the headlights are on, or when I have the parking brake on. Putting my headlight switch to AUTO didn't make a difference.

I only have the 02 GS3/4 manual so I'm not sure if this is the same on all years. If you start your car with the parking brake on and your DRL's do not come on, it should work for your car too.

Maybe I should have gotten the manual for the 99 GS4 so I could have hooked up the same switch that you have.
Old 07-23-02, 04:16 PM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Smile

brendanlim,

You dont have DRLs on your car. When you turn the light switch one click your parking lights comes on. Turn it another click and your headlights come on along w/ ur parking lights.

DRLs are really your high beams running @ 1/2 the wattage.

DRLs are brighter than the parking lights.

I think in order for you to have DRLs your car must have HID. (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 07-23-02, 04:44 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: DRL defeat

Originally posted by wwest
Didn't I publish a method a while back for an 00 GS3 that only involved some minor work in the fuse panel just forward of the battery?
You sure did! It was alot easier and took all of 5 minutes. wwest was the only response I got when asking for a solution for this. Just pulling the relay and having that stupid high-beam light on all the time was not an option.

Flexor- wwest's method is very easy and does not involve cutting any wires.
Old 07-23-02, 07:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm..... i thought DRL didn't come with 98 at all, but after that i donn't know
Old 07-28-02, 05:21 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

wwest's solution is definately much simpler, so simple in fact that I was just able to do it in about 10 minutes. Thanks GS430lvr and wwest, you guys just saved my some money