GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 2001 GS430 is "hesitating" when I first hit the gas hard...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 09:25 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
That's what I was planning to do since it's much cheaper. Wow I love the CL discount on Sewell...
I have to do mine as well (same symptoms) and just called up crappy Lexus of Queens, their price

$47 + Tax

vs

Description Qty Your Price Core Price Total Cost
Collision Catalog - 2001 - Lexus - GS 430
Fuel system, Fuel system components, Filter, Fuel pump, Fuel pump $9.20 $0.00 $9.20
Total: $9.20
www.lexuspartsonline.com
Old 10-21-10, 09:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Hey Brian, did you change the fuel tank's filter, or the fuel pump's filter?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/...00/220394A.jpg
Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Go fuel pump....
That's what I was planning to do since it's much cheaper. Wow I love the CL discount on Sewell...
i changed BOTH filters thomas....no reason to change the pump unless its bad.

if you do decide to replace the pump you should change the filter/sock while your in there. if you look at post # 55 from the first link below you will see you have to undo the sock to GET to the pump so why not change the filter while your in there?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-filter-2.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-at-100k.html
Old 10-21-10, 09:29 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i changed the filter....no reason to change the pump unless its bad.

if you do decide to replace the pump you should change the filter/sock while your in there. if you look at post # 55 from the first link below you will see you have to undo the sock to GET to the pump so why not change the filter while your in there?

LOL Brian I said I want to change the fuel filter. There's one for the tank, and one for the pump. I was wondering which one you changed.
Old 10-21-10, 09:30 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

i changed the filter....no reason to change the pump unless its bad.

I wasn't suggesting to change the pump. I was just advising on his option of tank filter or pump filter. I agree, if the pump was bad, you'd know.
Old 10-21-10, 09:44 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

LOL Brian I said I want to change the fuel filter. There's one for the tank, and one for the pump. I was wondering which one you changed.
i know there is but i didnt realize you asked which one...i did after i posted it and quickly went back and changed it. i changed BOTH filters....

if u look at those links, you will see that

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I wasn't suggesting to change the pump. I was just advising on his option of tank filter or pump filter. I agree, if the pump was bad, you'd know.
oh, sorry i need to put my glasses on, i thought you meant to change the fuel pump not just the fuel pump FILTER..

IMHO change them both its like $10 bucks and worth it....again look at post # 55 and you will see the difference in my used filter and my new one. ITS A SIGNIFICANT difference
Old 10-21-10, 09:51 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

oh, sorry i need to put my glasses on, i thought you meant to change the fuel pump not just the fuel pump FILTER..

IMHO change them both its like $10 bucks and worth it....again look at post # 55 and you will see the difference in my used filter and my new one. ITS A SIGNIFICANT difference

Agreed and after that $47 quote from my local dealer just for the pump filter, I ordered both online and it was still cheaper.
Old 10-21-10, 10:04 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

It's all good, Brian.

BTW, what do you mean by your sig? Lol...
Old 10-21-10, 10:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, what do you mean by your sig? Lol...
lol, its actually kind of amusing to me....i'll send you a email bout it right now sir
Old 10-21-10, 12:24 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't experienced any change in my fuel consuption after fuel filters change (I replaced both of them) at 95k miles.
Old 10-21-10, 03:31 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

nah, mine was CHEAP....like $35 bucks but i cant say that is typical, thats why i said i MAY have a fix for you

well since the gs400 DOESN'T have a drive by wire system you really cant relate here.... all in good fun

your probably right though....i probably did jump to a conclusion but i still maintain part of the problem he was noticing is the drive by wire issue. Until you own a gs430 (especially coming from a gs400) you will never know the annoying pain we go to with the drive by wire systems

im with you though, OP def needs to search

im with you on this, when i first joined the boards for like 2 years i swore the filters were lifetime when people asked about them, then that post came up and i was like DAMN.....needless to say, i changed mine shortly afterwards and it made a huge improvement to my MPG
Im with you , driven both and own a 400, the drive by wire lag is nothing compared to a bad fuel filter/pump. To the OP its a 20 min job to check if the fuel filter is bad or not, and 15 of those 20 min is just pulling the back seat out.
Old 10-22-10, 12:41 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay- Just scanned it again, Brian. It did not pull any of the codes you mentioned-
P0040 , P0441b, or P0446b

It pulled up code P0171 - System too lean Bank 1
and it said PENDING on P0174 - System too lean Bank 2

Maybe it is a fuel filter.... or could be the MAF needs to be cleaned (hopefully not REPLACED!)

You have to remove the back seats to replace the fuel filter ? I need to search how to do that. Sounds like a pain.

What was the $47 for? I'm confused on replacing the pump's filter.. that shouldn't need to be done, unless I was replacing the pump (b/c it went bad) or something, right?

We turned the Check Engine light off. Now, when I take it into the dealer for my stae inspection, should I ask them to replace the filter- or is it easy and simple enough to do myself ?

Last edited by AirRideFan; 10-22-10 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-22-10, 12:53 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

I found this info, too...
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0174

I need to replace the fuel filter and also probably clean the MAF.
Old 10-22-10, 01:27 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
Okay- Just scanned it again, Brian. It did not pull any of the codes you mentioned-
P0040 , P0441b, or P0446b

It pulled up code P0171 - System too lean Bank 1
and it said PENDING on P0174 - System too lean Bank 2

Maybe it is a fuel filter.... or could be the MAF needs to be cleaned (hopefully not REPLACED!)

You have to remove the back seats to replace the fuel filter ? I need to search how to do that. Sounds like a pain.

What was the $47 for? I'm confused on replacing the pump's filter.. that shouldn't need to be done, unless I was replacing the pump (b/c it went bad) or something, right?

We turned the Check Engine light off. Now, when I take it into the dealer for my stae inspection, should I ask them to replace the filter- or is it easy and simple enough to do myself ?
P0171 it could be a handful of things: a vacuum leak someplace (specifically check the hose connecting the PCV valve),a clogged/dirty PCV valve, a bad (dirty) MAF, or you got some bad O2 sensors, or a few other things...

here are a few good threads on the P0171

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lly-fixed.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...1-threads.html

JUST SEARCH for the codes and you should find some info on both, i got you started with one now you can do the rest of the leg work...

the rear seat LITERALLY just pulls up man...fuel filter is VERY simple to change i did a mini DIY in the post we gave you a few posts back

I need to replace the fuel filter and also probably clean the MAF.
there are DIY on here for BOTH of them

get associated with this post i still use it to this day ALL the time

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html
Old 10-22-10, 01:40 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

awesome thanks... Can't wait to find out which part is causing these codes (and hopefully the 'bogging' when I get on it, initially)

Thanks so much!

Forget the Pump's filter though, right? The actually fuel filter... is under the back seat, right?
I will follow that DIY thread and replace that.. okay.
Old 10-22-10, 01:46 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Forget the Pump's filter though, right? The actually fuel filter... is under the back seat, right?
I will follow that DIY thread and replace that.. okay.
im kinda confused by this statement.........but i think i know what you mean.

BOTH the fuel filter and the fuel pumps filter are located together (you have probably heard us referring to the fuel pumps filter as a "sock")

replace BOTH of them while your in there...

Quick Reply: My 2001 GS430 is "hesitating" when I first hit the gas hard...