GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 2001 GS430 is "hesitating" when I first hit the gas hard...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 12:04 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh okay... so I will replace BOTH then! Okay... gotcha. Thanks

Hey, what's the best way to clean the MAF? Do I have to take it off to do that?

I'm ready to just take it the dealer and say "Find out what the Check Engine light keeps coming back on." I don't know where anything is on my GS... How tricky is it to replace the PCV or see if there's a leak around it somewhere?

I'm just not sure where to start... ahh.
Old 10-25-10, 12:50 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
Hey, what's the best way to clean the MAF? Do I have to take it off to do that?

I'm ready to just take it the dealer and say "Find out what the Check Engine light keeps coming back on." I don't know where anything is on my GS... How tricky is it to replace the PCV or see if there's a leak around it somewhere?

I'm just not sure where to start... ahh.
take the MAF out or just take the section of the inlet pipe out but its better if you remove the MAF...

if you take it to the dealer, they gonna do exactly what were advising you to do first and will charge you a fortune....

you'll never know where anything is on your GS if you dont get hands on with it, although normally if its engine wise i tend to leave it in someone else's hands also lol.

PCV is simple man....

start SLOWLY
Old 10-27-10, 12:09 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Okay.. you're right! I'm going to DEF do the PCV valve.. (and check the hose to make sure it's not a leak causing the check engine light)

Last question- Is it okay to replace the Fuel Filter with an aftermarket one, vs. buying one through the dealer.. or even buying a more expensive Aftermarket one, say on ebay? What do you think.

I am going to change the fuel filters tomorrow and the PCV valve, and hope that solves my problem. I am thinking it's the PCV though.. b/c P0171 is "bank 1"- and I'm pretty sure that's the side with the PCV...

I hope!!

It makes me feel better than even you said this, haha:
although normally if its engine wise i tend to leave it in someone else's hands also lol.

Thanks bro!
Old 10-27-10, 12:18 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
Last question- Is it okay to replace the Fuel Filter with an aftermarket one, vs. buying one through the dealer.. or even buying a more expensive Aftermarket one, say on ebay? What do you think.
IMHO,go OEM on fuel filters....they worked fine for this long and no gains to be made changing to a different kind so stay oem.

again just my opinion...
Old 11-01-10, 09:44 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

PROBLEM FOUND and SOLVED! One of the prongs on the MAF was bent, and it needed to be cleaned. That was it ! Now it's back to 300hp! It breaks the tires loose if I jump on it now.. big time!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

I'm going to do the Fuel Filters, still.. but I'm waiting until spring time to do those.
(too effin cold now!)

As far as the PCV valve- I bought a new OEM one.. It was $5.72 w/ tax.. is it even worth replacing the stock one ? I haven't been able to even LOCATE it! Can anybody put a close-up pic of where it's located at, on our engines?

Thanks again for the help fellas...