GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 2001 GS430 is "hesitating" when I first hit the gas hard...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 11:06 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2001 GS430 is "hesitating" when I first hit the gas hard...

Does anybody know what could be causing my engine to 'BOG' slightly for a sec, when I initially 'punch it' from a stop? It does it in neutral if the pedal is gently POKED, also.

I just bought the car less than one month ago- from Dallas. Drove it back to Pgh, PA. About 1/3rd of the way home, I jumped on it, on a wide open straight-away and shortly after the check engine came on. I put an OBDII scanner on the car and it said something about 'detonation' or something? I'm not sure... my buddy who scanned it, shut the light off. It's fine to drive, but I'd like to take it to the dealer soon to see what would cause that..

Anybody have any ideas about that?
Old 10-14-10, 11:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

its due to the drive by wire controls......

check this thread, OP swears by it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ome-stock.html

please learn to search next time also, the "lag" has been talked bout alot...
Old 10-14-10, 11:16 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sakataj

Yeah, my buddy knows his Japanese cars pretty well (he helped me out and put his scanner on it for me) I was wrong too! The OBDII scanner said that TWO cylinders (I think #3 and #5) were too lean... it said Right side cylinder bank lean... Cylinder # whatever... and Left side cylinder bank lean on the other Cylinder. So he said, as long as the light doesn't come back on, it should be okay.

Are you serious though! That drive-by-wire is the culprit...!? AKA ALL GS430's do that!?

Man, I almost wish I bought a '99 or '00 GS4! I love the Mark Levinson though.. and also the taillights... AND the greenish-tinted headlights! But I really wish I had the E-Shift on the steering wheels like all the GS400 models had. Hmm....
Old 10-14-10, 11:25 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

He did mention he got a denonation Brian. He got a misfire somewhere. Now check the basics first. Then report back
Old 10-14-10, 11:51 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

You can update the tails...like I did.
Old 10-14-10, 11:54 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

LMFAO at that thread! What a cluster! LOL

I like the concept of that part though... may have to do that! I guess it's all how you "work the pedal" with the 430 models.. the drive-by-wire isn't quite at "COOL" as I orig thought it was though! ha, now that I have it.
Old 10-14-10, 11:58 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
He did mention he got a denonation Brian. He got a misfire somewhere. Now check the basics first. Then report back
I'm sorry I was totally confused and talking out of my A$$. That was incorrect.

Turns out the OBDII scanner said:
Cylinder Bank Lean, or something like that. Could've just been a combo of altitute/temperature changes coming home, and some 'bad' fuel?

Not sure... It just doesn't seem like the drive-by-wire would cause it to go..."BRRRR-ER-ER-ER RRVVRRRROMM!" You know?

Also- I have only ran 93 octance in the car, and so did the previous owner (obviously)- Just throwing that out.. it's not something dumb, like, "Oh I didn't know you can't run 87 octane in the GS430 with no problems?" lol
Old 10-14-10, 11:59 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
You can update the tails...like I did.
There is a CLEAN '99 GS400 with only 77k miles on it or something for $8200-black on black. I ALMOST wish I bought the GS4 instead! I like the old! haha
Old 10-14-10, 12:28 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

Get the codes and report bak
Old 10-14-10, 01:23 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
Yeah, my buddy knows his Japanese cars pretty well (he helped me out and put his scanner on it for me) I was wrong too! The OBDII scanner said that TWO cylinders (I think #3 and #5) were too lean... it said Right side cylinder bank lean... Cylinder # whatever... and Left side cylinder bank lean on the other Cylinder. So he said, as long as the light doesn't come back on, it should be okay.

Are you serious though! That drive-by-wire is the culprit...!? AKA ALL GS430's do that!?
should be and yes unfortunately all gs430's do, do this

i saw that john but im 99% sure he is misdiagnosing this....just going with my gut here

LMFAO at that thread! What a cluster! LOL

I like the concept of that part though... may have to do that! I guess it's all how you "work the pedal" with the 430 models.. the drive-by-wire isn't quite at "COOL" as I orig thought it was though! ha, now that I have it.
yeah, i dont care for the drive by wire lexus put in here but i no longer drive fast unless im on the interstate so i dont really care if there is some lag....

im a nay sayer with that box but as i said the OP of that thread likes it so to each his own, IMHO it does nothing but burn more gas making you feel like there is no lag and im sure there isnt but its cause your throttle is almost wide open when the pedal is a quarter of the way down

I'm sorry I was totally confused and talking out of my A$$. That was incorrect.
see john.....

Get the codes and report bak
as he says drive it for a week and see if you get a code if so come back here and (in the same post) tell us what it is and someone will try and help you
Old 10-14-10, 06:52 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

There is a CLEAN '99 GS400 with only 77k miles on it or something for $8200-black on black. I ALMOST wish I bought the GS4 instead! I like the old! haha
You should! We could be twins.
Old 10-15-10, 07:10 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

im a nay sayer with that box but as i said the OP of that thread likes it so to each his own, IMHO it does nothing but burn more gas making you feel like there is no lag and im sure there isnt but its cause your throttle is almost wide open when the pedal is a quarter of the way down
Right- I agree with you. It HAS to waste more fuel though, you're right.
If I punch the gas in my car though- it sorta of lags for a second or two, then SLAMS you into seat... is that normal? (seems a little "ROUGH" for a Lexus...you know what I mean? It isn't executing the "off-the-line" jump very 'smoothly', that's all)

I think you're right though- All the 430 models do this.. due to the drive-by-wire, huh? Even it Park (or Neutral) it's makes a slight BOGGING sound then REVS freely and smoothly after that.

Hmmm... Thanks for all of your help, bro. I really appreciate it.
and yep- you were right- I was DEF giving bad info before- def misdiagnosed the problem (actually I just FORGET what the scanner said) but yep...

Cylinder Bank too lean is what the Check Engine light was on for... not really sure what would cause that. The Spark Plugs were just recently changed.. along with the Water Pump/Timing Belt.. by FIRESTONE! <--tttsshhh.. hope they did everything correctly.

I haven't even switched the Title of to my name yet... still need to Register the car.. so I haven't been driving it (too much! LOL- just a lil bit, some days)

I will let you know if the light comes back on...

HEY- Random question though- WERE THE ('98-'00) GS4's NOT AVAILABLE WITH HID's !? (I though they were an optional on the 400's ?)

I was reading the Review from Consumer Guide about the '98-'05 GS and it said "NEW FOR 2001"- Standard HID's on the 430, and OPTIONAL on the 300. But I thought they were optional on the 400's? Yeah..?

Also- there is no DVD for the Navigation in the GS4's either, right? (so it can not be updated?) Not that I care.. nor is that even close to a good enough reason to NOT want to find & BUY a GS400... just asking.

I almost wish I bought the Black on Black GS400, with 77k miles or whatever.

NICE CAR!! LOVE THE BLACK ON BLACK... Love the GS400's!

and yes, I'd be rolling just like you IUZ-GS ! : )

Only thing I'd rather have than ANY '98-'05 (surprising enough for me- since I LOVE "THE OLD") is a 2006+ GS430! (or even better GS450h!... they're FAST!)

I love the power folding mirrors, and the Memory Seats on BOTH sides! That's siiicckkk! Next car... ANOTHER GS! Seriously...

Thanks again though guys...
Old 10-15-10, 07:37 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

They were an option on the 400's ( I have 'em) and weren't available on 98-00 300's.
Old 10-15-10, 08:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Random question though- WERE THE ('98-'00) GS4's NOT AVAILABLE WITH HID's !? (I though they were an optional on the 400's ?)

I was reading the Review from Consumer Guide about the '98-'05 GS and it said "NEW FOR 2001"- Standard HID's on the 430, and OPTIONAL on the 300. But I thought they were optional on the 400's? Yeah..?

Also- there is no DVD for the Navigation in the GS4's either, right? (so it can not be updated?) Not that I care.. nor is that even close to a good enough reason to NOT want to find & BUY a GS400... just asking.

I love the power folding mirrors
yes the 1998-2000 gs3/gs4 WERE available with OEM HID'S they were a option though

yes all gs430's came with them and they still are a option on the gs300's

no DVD for the 1998-2000 models it used a hard drive based nav that was/is a POS it can be updated but the last update was a 2004

course the gen 2/3 nav the gs430 came with is a POS also mine burned out and i have a gen 4 unit now.

um....we dont have power folding mirrors less you live in non USDM land
Old 10-15-10, 09:27 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I have both 400 & 430 GS's, and Hands down the GS400 is much more responsive and more accepting to mods. I had always looked for 400's but the 400 is hard to find clean and low miles and since I already had my modded GS400 and I needed a daily driver and wasn't plan on modding it, I bought the 430. I've driven a few 430's in '01-'02 years and they bogg at the full throttle but surprisingly my '05 doesn't bogg so that i'm happy but still not as responsive as a GS400..

Quick Reply: My 2001 GS430 is "hesitating" when I first hit the gas hard...