GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How fast is your VSC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 06:26 AM
gs400tx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am not sure that this thing would help save my A* under good weather conditions. I have taken many 90 degree turns in the 30+ mph range at very close to the limit and it has not even peeped.

I can see how it would help under adverse conditions (I did hit some antifreeze when making a 90 degree turn at a light at approx 5 mph and it made all kinds of noise, and I almost ended upgoing the other direction), but I don't push it under adverse conditions.

Have you ever gotten any indication that you could use it as a cushion or a safety belt for dry road cornering?
Old 03-14-01, 06:35 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Default VSC Working

I think that the VSC is a little slow in picking up sometimes... I have had it kick in once then I wasn't expecting it. I was taking a very sharp turn and I wanted to get the rear end out, so I had it in 2nd and was giving it some good gas. As the rear end started to break loose, I heard a beeping noise and the trac light was flickering. Sure enough, the rear end snapped back into place. To be honest though, I was not going very fast, I only gave it too much gas through the turn so I was surprise that standard Traction control didn't prevent it.

I decided to test the VSC a week ago when it was raining like crazy over here. At a wide corner around my house (almost a 120 degree turn) I entered way too fast so that the car would understeer. About a second into it, the VSC started beeping and the car slowed and stuck the turn about 1 second later. I was pleased with it's performance.

In the snow though, with the 17" summer tires, it does nothing... but that is the law of physics. I have to say, I think my dad's STS with stabilitrac kicks in a little quicker, a little more progessive, and works a little better...
Old 03-14-01, 10:14 AM
LexusLady
Pole Position

The other day I tried to pull a fast u-turn, and at the moment I put my foot down I thought "oh *****" 'cause I felt the back end "bob" a little, but the VSC kicked in, and I was on my way before I could even react. Made me feel real safe, but I'll be more careful with fast turns in future!!!!

C.
Old 03-14-01, 11:52 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

I don't doubt the VSC works well. I also have experienced it coming on just by fast acceleration through a 90 degree turn on a street corner, but I wasn't going fast.

If you get a chance, find a safe place and test your car with it off, so you can experience the difference. I turn it off when I'm on the track so I know I'm using my skills rather than the computer in the car.
Old 03-14-01, 07:13 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Believe me, I love knowing that it is there if I ever need it, even though I still believe it may not be the fast acting form of stability control. But in the 6 months I've had it, it has only kicked in twice (show's I'm not driving too crazy).

I think most people confuse VSC with traction control, which is also good and is used much more frequently. I have a tough U-turn where I work where I must accelerate quickly, and traction saves my *** on a daily basis, even more so when it is wet out...