GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Matching GS and ES interior wood color? Need expert opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 12:01 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching GS and ES interior wood color? Need expert opinions!

So I've been searching forever for a gray wood steering wheel to upgrade my stock 02 GS3 one and found this one on ebay. It's gray and supposed to be for an 02-04 ES. Now supposedly the ES wheels work on the GS as far as fitment but a couple posts in another thread say that the ES came with a darker redish colored wood interior that is completely different from the GS wood color. Can anyone tell me what they think of these pics? Did the ES ever come with the same wood color as the GS or are these pictures just taken in the wrong light and are actually the red wood? The seller lists the color as "burlwood".. is that the same as the GS? From these photos I see very similar colors as my GS interior.
I'd love to know before I dish out some big $$$ on this so any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Matching GS and ES interior wood color? Need expert opinions!-b6ffc-ewk-kgrhqiokiyey9ok-edlbmwhn-1nbq-_12.jpg   Matching GS and ES interior wood color? Need expert opinions!-b6ffefg-mk-kgrhqyoknmey1488k5-bmwhnfou-w-_12.jpg   Matching GS and ES interior wood color? Need expert opinions!-b6ffgmgcgk-kgrhqeokniey0vr5jzbbmwhnljl2-_12.jpg  
Old 10-23-10, 10:24 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

nope. totally different color. its a red wood color. u can get it and restain it if you want
Old 10-24-10, 11:26 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Really?? I've seen auctions and pictures of the ES red wood steering wheels and they don't look like this. You can clearly tell they're a dark redish wood with a different grain pattern but this looks a LOT more like the GS wood pattern. I've looked at side-by-sides and these pictures compared to the redwood are night and day. Is it just a lighting/angle issue with the pictures?
Any other opinions on these pictures??
Old 10-24-10, 11:41 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raceforgt
Really?? I've seen auctions and pictures of the ES red wood steering wheels and they don't look like this. You can clearly tell they're a dark redish wood with a different grain pattern but this looks a LOT more like the GS wood pattern. I've looked at side-by-sides and these pictures compared to the redwood are night and day. Is it just a lighting/angle issue with the pictures?
Any other opinions on these pictures??
yes, its lighting issues. buy it if you dont believe me.
Old 10-24-10, 11:49 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

I totally respect your opinion and appreciate your help, and I want to believe you. I'm just going by visuals and to me it looks 90% like the pattern in my GS. The seller seems to be an ebay Lexus parts dealer and they say it's 80-90% like the GS just without the shift buttons. It's at an excellent price and they accept returns minus shipping charges.
Old 10-24-10, 11:43 PM
airestonia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Sorry for not answering sooner, but you could simply look at the comparison shots of the ES wood wheel next to the OEM GS wood.
And yes I'm sure as well, that the color might seem different due to flash, camera, etc issues.

Either way If you read my thread you can see that I'm half way there with my wheel project, so it is doable man!

Good luck
Old 10-25-10, 06:55 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by airestonia
^^ Sorry for not answering sooner, but you could simply look at the comparison shots of the ES wood wheel next to the OEM GS wood.
And yes I'm sure as well, that the color might seem different due to flash, camera, etc issues.

Either way If you read my thread you can see that I'm half way there with my wheel project, so it is doable man!

Good luck
Thanks for the update. I actually went out and took some pictures of the wood trim pieces in my car and compared them to the ebay wheel on my computer. You guys are right the color is completely off, although not as much as some other wheels I've seen from an ES that are virtually all red.
I also looked in two old 2004 ES and GS sales brochures and the colors are listed as: ES- "burled walnut trim" and GS- "walnut trim". The GS uses a much lighter, browner wood trim than ES.
Thanks for all the help!