GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Burnt Drivers Seat From Heat Warmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 01:22 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt even know the heating elements ran into that portion of the seat... i barely feel mine when they're one... sure you didn't brush up against it with a soldering iron possibly? I've done that before...
Old 10-29-10, 01:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
Better get to it before you cause some real damage or a fire bro, i had a friend of mines Bad Azz audi A6 catch on fire because of an electrical issue, 2 minutes later it was just a bunch of melted plastic and metal frame.
i know it can and this i my major concern

i just contacted (emailed lexus corp and my local dealership) i will also be sending out a certified letter with copies of these pics in the next day or so
Old 10-29-10, 02:16 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

one more useless post...hehehe

THIS IS MY 10,000 POST and yes i have seen others (besides MODS) with more posts than me

figured i would do it in one of my posts and since this one is the hot topic (literally) for me at the moment i figured this one is deserving of it

have a good weekend, in about 45 mins, i wont see you guys till thurs when i come back from vacation
Old 11-04-10, 02:42 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so i got a response back from my corp BUT not my local dealership

HERE IS WHAT I WROTE THEM

Well i don't know really where to start....

i have owned this particular model gs430 for almost 4 years now and before that i owned a 1993 es300 (i actually sold it to my father) and a 1993 sc400. normally i never have any issues from my car but this issue im having is of serious concern

the other day i was driving to work and i smelled something burning and i swore i saw a small patch of smoke,i looked around and i couldn't place it. i saw nothing that wasn't working correctly or was burnt out so i forgot bout it and went on with my business.

the next day i get in my car and i notice the end of my seat (under/approximately where my right leg rests) is burnt and i started thinking about what could have done this since i dont smoke, my gf doesn't smoke and NOONE has driven my car in months except a valet a few weeks ago and i brush all these off as surely i woulda smelled it had the valet been smoking in my car and im kind of perplexed. i forgot about it till yesterday when im driving to my gf's house and its kinda chilly so i pop the seat warmers and turn my heat on......

well very shortly after i start smelling this burnt smell again and it immediately comes back to my mind that my seat is burnt so i reach under my right leg and put my hand on this spot and sure enough, this area is HOT and burning and smoking....needless to say i quickly turned the seat warmer off. [

i dunno,what do you think or has anyone ever heard of this or had a issue like this.will my local dealer fix this for me? i mean this isnt a normal wear and tear issue so i dont think i should be responsible for it.

im also a member of a lexus community forum and i have mentioned it and were currently discussing it but this is a serious issue that potentially could cause a fire in my car by using a feature that came factory in my car

BTW here are some pics

and just a pic showing my seats arent all torn up and ragged

i sent them a few of the pics from here

if need be i will be sending this in a certified letter along with printed photos to lexus corp to try and get some response if i dont get one from here

thanks

Brian !@!#$%^

HERE IS WHAT THEY WROTE ME....

Dear Mr. !@!#$%^:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We are very sorry to hear of the concerns that you have had with your 2001 GS 430. Lexus makes every attempt to provide our customers with a quality product, and we will back the product against manufacturing defects with our warranty. The seat is covered by the Basic Warranty, which is for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Lexus also offers a 12 month Parts Warranty, if the same component must be replaced due to a manufacturing defect within 12 months of replacement at an authorized Lexus dealership, Lexus will cover the cost to replace the part. Unfortunately, once your vehicle is outside of these warranty parameters, Lexus is no longer obligated to assist with repairs. If you would like Lexus to review for possible assistance with repair costs outside of warranty, we ask that you first have your vehicle inspected at a Lexus dealership. Once the dealership has an opportunity to diagnose your vehicle and recommend repairs, you may contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, option 3 and we would be happy to review your request further. I apologize, assistance with repairs outside of the warranty period is not guaranteed.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Michael $*!)#@
Lexus Customer Satisfaction

HERE IS WHAT I WROTE THEM BACK

Micheal,
I understand your not obligated to assist in repairs, just thought for a long term owner (well, im 28 and have been a lexus owner for about 8 years now), you might show some sense of sympathy to a issue that was of no fault of mine and possibly be willingly to help. With all the safety issues the company has been having, I thought this might be of importance to the company, albeit not as importance since im sure this is a semi isolated incident. im currently on vacation and will take it to the
dealership to diagnose/recommend repairs when i get back. Do you know if they will provide me a loaner vehicle or if i will have to make arrangements to get a rental?

Sincerely,
Brian !@!#$%^

AND WHAT THEY WROTE ME BACK

Dear Mr. !@!#$%^:

Thank you once again for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. As stated before, we are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

I am sorry that I came across in my last message that Lexus may not have cared as much as you were expecting, and to that I would like to say that we are defiantly interested in looking into your concern. When Lexus reviews for out of warranty request, Loyalty is one of the items that is looked at.

At this time we ask that you first have your vehicle inspected at a Lexus dealership. Once the dealership has an opportunity to diagnose your vehicle and recommend repairs, you may contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, option 3 and we would be happy to review your request further. Each one of our dealerships are independently owned and operated so a loaner vehicle is not guaranteed. I would call ahead and inquire about any available alternative transportation. I apologize, assistance with repairs outside of the warranty period is not guaranteed.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Michael $*!)#@
Lexus Customer Satisfaction

i will be scheduling a time to go to the dealership to drop it off to have them look at it this next week im hoping and i will get back to everyone with what they say,im hoping to get a loaner but im not really sure what they gonna do.

Last edited by sakataj; 11-05-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 04:14 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you get the seats fixed and keep bugging them about it. The only thing u can lose is time. While your at it make sure the passenger seat doesn't start doing the same.
Old 11-04-10, 04:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think out of respect you shouldn't post this persons info on here. Its not his fault this happened and your displaying his full name and not yours.

I personally don't think Lexus owes you anything for this.
Old 11-04-10, 09:43 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i think car seat warmer may be a wear and tear item. it gets turned on and off. maybe the heating element was dislodged because the seat weight limit was exceeded? or when a person working on your car sat at the corner of the seat for a long period of causing the heating element to dislodge?

i'm not saying its your fault, but i'm looking at it from lexus point of view.
Old 11-05-10, 11:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kzem
Hope you get the seats fixed and keep bugging them about it. The only thing u can lose is time. While your at it make sure the passenger seat doesn't start doing the same.
i will try and get this resolved, i wont bug them but i will stay on top of it.

Originally Posted by passnu2
I think out of respect you shouldn't post this persons info on here. Its not his fault this happened and your displaying his full name and not yours.

I personally don't think Lexus owes you anything for this.
your right so i removed his last name...

you may be right, they may or may not "OWE" me anything but i am wanting to find out.i mean if my car had burned down and i sued them i promise they would owe me something...IMHO i dont think i should have to pay for this though. NOTHING i did caused this and im sure they immediately gonna blame my audio work/stereo stuff and deny anything, nothing should effect the seat warmer. like i said earlier i wont know anything till we get it in there and until then its all speculation as if they will or wont help me,you know?

Originally Posted by onihc
i think car seat warmer may be a wear and tear item. it gets turned on and off. maybe the heating element was dislodged because the seat weight limit was exceeded? or when a person working on your car sat at the corner of the seat for a long period of causing the heating element to dislodge?

i'm not saying its your fault, but i'm looking at it from lexus point of view.
if it was a wear and tear item they would readily be replaceable....

lol,are you trying to say my fat *** exceeded the weight limit and dislodged the element?

who knows what happened until they work on it, its all speculation.Since something unrelated happened to my car last night and im not driving it and its being worked on (or will be this weekend) i wont get it to them till its fixed again
Old 11-05-10, 11:42 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj

lol,are you trying to say my fat *** exceeded the weight limit and dislodged the element?
no. i'm saying your installer's best friend's neighbor's brother-in-law's first and last in the all you can eat buffet line wife MAY have sat in your seat.
Old 11-05-10, 01:12 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by onihc
no. i'm saying your installer's best friend's neighbor's brother-in-law's first and last in the all you can eat buffet line wife MAY have sat in your seat.
hahahahaha

thats ok, im fat and ok with it.....
Old 11-06-10, 12:04 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

you got a upgraded alternator, I dont think they are going to cover it. plus I think a upgraded alternator could do that.
you went from 100amp to 320amp its not a little change
Most of us have never seen anything like this so of course I googled this and couldnt find anyother toyota lexus issues a couple bmw issues came up and I am aware that those seats get HOT
Old 11-08-10, 12:08 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4life86
you got a upgraded alternator, I dont think they are going to cover it. plus I think a upgraded alternator could do that.
you went from 100amp to 320amp its not a little change
Most of us have never seen anything like this so of course I googled this and couldnt find anyother toyota lexus issues a couple bmw issues came up and I am aware that those seats get HOT
they might say that, i have considered this thought....but we'll have to see. i fubared my power steering pulley so im replacing that pulley and the pump just as a precaution (although i dont need to replace the pump truthfully)

upgraded alternator shouldnt do that though....

yeah my old mechanic said BMW/MERCEDES have this issue but he had never heard of a lexus doing it
Old 11-22-10, 10:35 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

IF parts ever come in today like they supposed to and i get the to chris and he gets everything back together tonight, the car will go to the dealership in the morning. i wonder what my rental will be....
Old 11-22-10, 10:55 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

So they covered it?
Old 11-22-10, 11:16 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4life86
So they covered it?
dunno yet....havent taken it to them.

i broke my car on the 5th....been waiting on parts since the 12th they supposed to be here today

Quick Reply: Burnt Drivers Seat From Heat Warmer