GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Burnt Drivers Seat From Heat Warmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 11:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Burnt Drivers Seat From Heat Warmer

i searched over all the issues with seats i have seen but i didnt come across a thread like this....BTW am i ever gonna have any issues that other people normally have. i would think out of the 2-3 major/big issues i have VERY few people have had them or they aren't common problems.

well here's another one...

the other day i was driving to work and i smelled something burning and i swore i saw a small patch of smoke,i looked around and i couldn't place it. i saw nothing that wasn't working correctly or was burnt out so i forgot bout it and went on with my business.

the next day i get in my car and i notice the end of my seat (under/approximately where my right leg rests) is burnt and i started thinking about what could have done this since i dont smoke, my gf doesn't smoke and NOONE has driven my car in months except a valet a few weeks ago and i brush all these off as surely i woulda smelled it had the valet been smoking in my car and im kind of perplexed. i forgot about it till yesterday when im driving to my gf's house and its kinda chilly so i pop the seat warmers and turn my heat on......

well very shortly after i start smelling this burnt smell again and it immediately comes back to my mind that my seat is burnt so i reach under my right leg and put my hand on this spot and sure enough, this area is HOT and burning and smoking....needless to say i quickly turned the seat warmer off. although my seats arent in bad shape,im thinking a seat warmer element broke (which is weird as normally when a element breaks it wont do anything) or something inside my driver seat as the passenger seat doesnt do this??? i dunno guys,what do you think or has anyone ever heard of this or had a issue like this.

no im perplexed on what to do, here's my thoughts especially considering i want to use my seat warmer. what do you'll think i should do?

1)Contact corp/local dealer and see if something will come of it

2)not use my seat warmers (which to me isnt a option i like)

3)replace seat with a used seat with a seat warmer

4)replace seat with a used seat without a seat warmer and add one....

so what do you'll think?

BTW here are some pics

and just a pic showing my seats arent all torn up and ragged

Last edited by sakataj; 10-29-10 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 11:53 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow dude, that's spooky for sure.
Old 10-27-10, 12:15 PM
NIXmx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Newchapter
Very.

I'm glad I don't use my heated seats anyways.
Old 10-27-10, 01:35 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Newchapter
yeah tell me about it.....not sure how to proceed with it though

Originally Posted by NIXmx
Very.

I'm glad I don't use my heated seats anyways.
i do....trade me seats then
Old 10-27-10, 02:37 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Heated seats are nice in the cold weather, even down here in FL when it gets cold, as rare as that is, it still is a nice peace of mind to be able to warm your tush.

Never run into what you're dealin with though. Just something else to add to your parts list.
Old 10-28-10, 09:41 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Heated seats are nice in the cold weather, even down here in FL when it gets cold, as rare as that is, it still is a nice peace of mind to be able to warm your tush.

Never run into what you're dealin with though. Just something else to add to your parts list.
your right, they are nice....

i guess noone has run into what im dealing with as im not getting alot of ideas/thoughts from people

yeah im looking around for some in case i do need to buy one BUT the ? really is whats causing this and will lexus actually do something about it since its DEF a safety hazard?
Old 10-28-10, 01:05 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brian, never seen that before. I would contact corp definitely. Worst they can do is hang up on you.
Old 10-28-10, 01:11 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats weird, mine dont even get hot at all just barely on and off i hate how they dont have a high and low setting it just does what it wants
Old 10-28-10, 01:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,408 Posts

I'd speak with your dealer or Lexus Corp, but assume since your GS is nine years old and modified I don't think you're going to get any free help.

You've been doing extensive electrical stuff on it with your stereo build, haven't you? Anything changed like an upgraded alternator?

Might be worth looking to see if a piece of the seat heater wiring isn't broken causing that.

Another thought... a 2001 doesn't have airbags there does it?
Old 10-29-10, 09:25 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I got your PM Brian. What to do really depends on what time and energy you want to invest.

There is no way to know what caused it without opening up the seat. At that point you could repair or replace what ever has failed. You could also upgrade to an aftermarket model that has multiple heat levels. My WRX has this factory and I love it.

If you do not want to repair it replace it with another factory heat seat. This may cost more but will be much faster and easier.

Contacting Lexus is all about how much time you want to spend on it. A coworker of mine has a 99 GS300. The brake booster went out last year. He called and bugged them about the cost of the part. They sent him a check for $800.00 to cover it. All he paid was labor. It can be done if you have the time for it.
Old 10-29-10, 09:53 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats crazy Brian. I dont even know what to recommend to you. I guess its a good thing that I dont have heated seats. LOL
Old 10-29-10, 11:01 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

The irony is that people complain that Lexus heated seats don't get hot enough.
Old 10-29-10, 11:42 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sure you wasnt high and smoking a cig and drop a ash on the seat ?? lol
Old 10-29-10, 11:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Brian, never seen that before. I would contact corp definitely. Worst they can do is hang up on you.
i will...i guess a certified letter and pics it will be

Originally Posted by D-Boi
thats weird, mine dont even get hot at all just barely on and off i hate how they dont have a high and low setting it just does what it wants
well i talked to my old mechanic yesterday bout if he had ever seen this and he says he has (not in a lexus but in the mercedes and BMW's) he kinda confirmed what i was thinking, the element is probably broken but its still touching due to the seat moving when i sit it in making it cause contact again and the element is "arching" underneath the leather. although without opening it, i cant be for sure. i will contact corp and go from there, im not gonna attempt to do anything till i hear from them

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'd speak with your dealer or Lexus Corp, but assume since your GS is nine years old and modified I don't think you're going to get any free help.

You've been doing extensive electrical stuff on it with your stereo build, haven't you? Anything changed like an upgraded alternator?

Might be worth looking to see if a piece of the seat heater wiring isn't broken causing that.

Another thought... a 2001 doesn't have airbags there does it?
i will do so dave thanks.

i have been doing extensive electrical work and yes i did upgrade my alternator to a 320 amp HO alternator but i wouldnt think it would effect this little element and if it would, why not both? its ONLY the drivers side doing this.

no the airbags on the 2001+ are on the side of the seat facing the outside world, the side of the car over the top of the door, the a pillar and the steering wheel and dash

Originally Posted by Debonair
I got your PM Brian. What to do really depends on what time and energy you want to invest.

There is no way to know what caused it without opening up the seat. At that point you could repair or replace what ever has failed. You could also upgrade to an aftermarket model that has multiple heat levels. My WRX has this factory and I love it.

If you do not want to repair it replace it with another factory heat seat. This may cost more but will be much faster and easier.

Contacting Lexus is all about how much time you want to spend on it. A coworker of mine has a 99 GS300. The brake booster went out last year. He called and bugged them about the cost of the part. They sent him a check for $800.00 to cover it. All he paid was labor. It can be done if you have the time for it.
only reason i would prefer to retain OEM seats abel is the OEM airbag in it. do they sell the element separately to repair it?

i have all the time in the world ESPECIALLY to contact corp about this, i will start working on it next week since im on vacation till next thurs starting today @ 5.

i contacted darrel at sewell to ask his thoughts/opinions on this but i havent heard back from him yet and i may not at all, who knows if he can even comment on something like this

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Thats crazy Brian. I dont even know what to recommend to you. I guess its a good thing that I dont have heated seats. LOL
yeah its nutts and it honestly is a safety issue. my car easily coulda caught fire right then and there....

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
The irony is that people complain that Lexus heated seats don't get hot enough.
i know although mine actually worked very well until this incident

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
sure you wasnt high and smoking a cig and drop a ash on the seat ?? lol
fairly certain.....

im a square, i dont do drugs. although i do like a drink from time to time just not in the car of course

Last edited by sakataj; 10-29-10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-29-10, 12:57 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Better get to it before you cause some real damage or a fire bro, i had a friend of mines Bad Azz audi A6 catch on fire because of an electrical issue, 2 minutes later it was just a bunch of melted plastic and metal frame.

Quick Reply: Burnt Drivers Seat From Heat Warmer