GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus= Too much money damnit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-02, 11:43 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but what are u gonna do when u drop 30 G's into ur car over the years..... then u try to turn around and sell all those same things u wouldn't get a quarter of what u spent, all IM saying is they jacked the market for high end cars...everythings very pricey
Old 07-28-02, 09:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
but what are u gonna do when u drop 30 G's into ur car over the years..... then u try to turn around and sell all those same things u wouldn't get a quarter of what u spent, all IM saying is they jacked the market for high end cars...everythings very pricey
No one should get into modding thinking it's an investment! They should do it because they hopefully enjoy the results and that's worth something to them.

If you'd rather get cheap mods, get a Honda.

As others have said the laws of supply and demand are at work here. Only a tiny number of Lexus's are sold let alone modified. Compare that with the millions of Hondas sold and probably tens of thousands modified.

If you think you can design, build and sell mods for Lexus at lower prices and make money, go for it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-28-02 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-28-02, 09:52 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

yea but I dont know too many people who dont care about spending money wisely, if I wanted to blow off all my money I would have bought a benz or beemer and said *** it, but I chose lexus because u get the best for ur money, and im sure alot of people can agree with me about this, Japanese cars give u so much bang for ur buck, not just lexus's but so do acura's and so on, I dont think too many people could disagree with me when I say it's expensive, that's all im trying to say, I know none of the companies are gonna read this and say Ohh lets lower our prices now, so I dont see why u keep defending the point Bit.. if u dont care about spending 30g's on a car, go for that then..... personally I would get alot more enjoyment if I can get somthing nice, but at a good price too, Not to get somthing and still feel like it's not worth that much of my money

ShOwGS
Old 07-28-02, 11:30 AM
daygo718
Lead Lap

"Expensive" is a relative term. Yes, it does cost money to mod a Lexus. It also cost money to mod a Honda if you do it right (reputable aftermarket parts). The thing that got me when I was considering buying a MB S500 or an LS430 (I ended up with an SC430...go figure ) was how much more it cost to mod the MB. Buying a full Lorinser kit and exhaust was going to run about $12K. On the other hand, you can buy a quality JDM kit and exhuast for the LS430 for at least half that price! Factor in that an S500 was going to cost $25-$30K more compared to an ultra luxury LS430...the decision on which one to buy became obvious to me. The fact that german car tuners charge so much more for their parts versus their japanese counterparts (I'm comparing luxury cars) still perplexes me.
Old 07-28-02, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ShowGS - as daygo says, expensive is relative.

You don't have to spend $30K to mod your GS. I've spent about $4K I'd say.

Maybe you should have bought a 2000 GS instead of an '02 and spent the savings on mods... just a thought.
Old 07-28-02, 03:55 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bit, don't go into modding your car worried about the price of things, if your worried then don't mod, you know up front it is expensive and you lose value instantly in the products you buy.

Jacking the prices up? Have you ever bought Dinan products for your BMW? Bring your centurion card and nothing less, some upgrades in suspension will set you back 2-3k easy.

It goes hand and hand with the other million conversations about this, be it wheels or body kits, if your going to do it right it will cost you. Every uses the "I ain't spending $5000 on wheels" that’s everyone’s first comment, maybe even a line of defense because they bought knock off's and now regret it, but the fact is you can spend $3000 and do it right also. I am just tired of the whole Lexus scene with the people who want to own a Lexus and act like their car matches the level of their 1040 then turn around try to justify the “value” in buying $2200 chrome knockoff’s.. As Manaray said, if you don't want to fork out the coin, leave it stock, there is nothing wrong with it. I am about done with my car so it is sitting stock right now, I had to go buy a set of rotors which if anyone has bought them knows they are pricey, did I complain? Hell no, if the parts where cheap then I guess the price of the car would have been cheap also. I would expect good aftermarket parts to cost even more then the stock replacement parts. If you bought a Lexus for its reliability, why put lesser quality parts on it? Do you think SRT or Dinan would put a charger out with the same quality of the charger on the Ford Lighting? No, the price is high for these mods because they must meet a certain level of integrity, why bring down a 55k car with junk parts?

Cheaper mods? Look at an Acura, it is still a nice and reliable car, less expensive then Lexus and you can get mods cheaper I believe since it right along with Honda.

Last edited by jpa2400; 07-28-02 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-28-02, 04:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by jpa2400
Cheaper mods? Look at an Acura, it is still a nice and reliable car, less expensive then Lexus and you can get mods cheaper I believe since it right along with Honda.
you bet. i own the acura tl type s, and i can tell you aftermarket parts, even those that are solely for the tl type s, are much cheaper
Old 07-28-02, 06:39 PM
hhodgetts
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down sorry, I disagree

Time to play devil's advocate here. I disagree that Lexus mods are overpriced. I have owned many, many cars and Lexus is one of the most affordable to modify, especially the GS.

Someone mentioned a $5k pair of wheels & tires. Well, go to Tire Rack and you can get 17" forged wheels and 245/45 ZR tires for a total price of $1500. There's a huge range you can spend and it doesn't matter whether its a Lexus or a Civic. There are value mods and stupidly expensive mods. If you want 20" chrome rims with high performance tires, it's going to be $5k whether its a civic, Lexus, or Yugo.

Yes, it's true that some mods are truly more expensive. Sway bars are one but you have to consider the economics of the situation. There are far more civics on the road than GS's. Yet someone who goes to the trouble of developing and manufacturing swaybars has exactly the same costs whether it's a Lexus or a Civic. However when you sell your sway bars there are millions of Civics and thousands of GS's. You HAVE to charge more to cover your overhead.

Despite that, most of the mods for a Lexus GS are very affordable. You can spend $2k on TIEN Flex shocks or you can spend under $1k for TRD or Bilstein. I doubt there are 20 people on this board that could truly use the additional handling that the extra handling the Tien Flex offers over Bilstein's or TRD's. (I also bet that half the people who read this think they're one of those 20. I'm not & I race at Road Atlanta all the time)

There are affordable mods for the Lexus. Start calling shops and asking for the pices to modify a BMW or Porche, that's expensive!!

Hell, you can even get a Lexus for a bargain. I have a 99 GS400 that cost me $26k !! Since I'm a wholesale broker, I can get anyone on this list the same deal !! Bargains are everywhere, you just have to do your research.
Old 07-28-02, 08:27 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Default Re: sorry, I disagree

Originally posted by hhodgetts
I doubt there are 20 people on this board that could truly use the additional handling that the extra handling the Tien Flex offers over Bilstein's or TRD's. (I also bet that half the people who read this think they're one of those 20. I'm not & I race at Road Atlanta all the time)

Dude - You have no idea why people buy what they buy, bro. I am one of those 20 that just picked up a set of TEINs and while the handling is a nice added bonus the drop potential is one of the top reasons for purchase. For me, the Eibach/LTuned/H&R sub-optimal 1.X" drop doesn't help much in the realm of wheel well elimination. Racer or not, there are multiple reasons why people upgrade to TEIN's kits from just drop springs...

Last edited by Synergy; 07-28-02 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-29-02, 04:00 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hehee...man, this debate is like PC vs. Mac!

Bit made a very good point...maybe a '00 GS would have been a better buy instead of '02 GS...

Daygo also makes a good point about the relativity of the cost. Fixing up a Benz or other luxury car is even more expensive. Sorry, but I don't count Acura as a true luxury brand. Any brand that has all FWD with fake wood can't be consider a true luxury brand in my book. Not that they're bad...but just not true luxury.

JPA - Hehehe...yeah, it's funny how people try to justify knock-offs....personally, I don't know anyone, who can afford the right stuff, justify knock-offs. There is no justification other than you're a broke *** fool and you should be worring about making your apartment rent payment, not fixing up your car.

And like hhodgetts said, 20" chrome wheels (quality) with high performance tires will cost the same for a GS or a Yugo.

As stated before, QUALITY parts on even a Honda are not cheap....but people perceive the Honda aftermarket as "cheap" because there are so many PIECE OF ***** CHEAP (and I'm not talking about just price here) products on the market for Hondas (take a look at ANYTHING made by APC).

And people who justify knock-offs...I want you go out and spend your own time designing a body kit or wheels...pay for the mold/manufacturing and then figure out how much it should sell for. THEN sell it...then give a couple months and wait for Konig and VIS to knock-off your design and see how "cool" knock-offs are...NO INTEGRITY yet people are happy to support these companies...

Knock-offs are only good for the BOTTOM FEEDERS. It's for people who can't really afford the mod. It doesn't help the market at all. It doesn't make anyone lower their prices. What it does is it floods the market with cheap, low quality GARBAGE...then all the good, innovative companies go out of business and then guess what? It's just like the Honda market, the good stuff eventually just disappears and you're left with pure garbage...and then, people (uniformed or just plain DUMB) start to think the garbage is good! Take a look at PRE-Tenzo or Konig...people PROUDLY put Tenzo/Konig stickers on their car (and we won't get into people putting TRD stickers on their Hondas)...do they know that they're just cheap POS knock-offs? I doubt it. Clueless people...I'm hoping Lexus owners aren't as clueless and hopefully, they will learn from ClubLexus....

Take a look at the Honda market. Go through the dozen or so magazines devoted to Honda/import tuning. What do 90% of the advertisers sell? GARBAGE. Look at APC, why are they so big now? They sell CHEAP GARBAGE to BOTTOM FEEDERS and/or people who don't know better. Hmmm? A decent dinner or Taco Bell and an cool sounding fart can exhaust for my '89 Civic DX with cool chrome fender and door trim and bubbling $59 purple tint?

Now I know some of you "politically correct tree hugging save the whales hippies" are going to say "that's not right" or that's "elitist"...well guess what, we're not talking about fixing up $10K MSRP cars here. We're talking about fixing up $35K+ MSRP cars here....you think I would dump $25K into a $1500 scooter? Of course not! You think I would put $6K wheels on a Ford Fukus? Hell no. But we're not fixing up Honda Elites or Ford Fukuses, now are we?

...ah...the term LIVING BEYOND YOUR MEANS comes to mind...
Old 07-29-02, 09:14 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

No matter how many times I read Manaray's responses to cost-cutting, knock offs, or expensive mods - I never get sick of them!!

If I were to save a few $k and buy knock offs, I would post an ,"I'm sorry Manaray" first before I attach the pic - I promise!

In all seriousness, Manaray is right on when it comes to modding a Lexus GS. While I may not drop 6K on wheels and tires, for the most part I am going to do it right. I used to own a 92 SC300 and I purchased Eibach springs and they just weren't low enough so I cut a few coils out. Let's just say that I sold the car a month ago to some crackhead and pought a 99 GS4 and upgraded to HA's which give me the drop that I need.

It's all a learning experience and I think that every member on the board should have owned and modded a Honda or Acura before purchasing a GS.

--

Last edited by Synergy; 07-29-02 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-29-02, 11:07 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah....Pimpin ain't easy and not cheap either......

What's up everyone??? I'm new to the board and just wanted to introduce myself..

I've found home....... a place where others can relate to my GS4 obsession!!!! My girlfriends and family just don't understand....

Lev
Old 07-30-02, 04:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Synergy
No matter how many times I read Manaray's responses to cost-cutting, knock offs, or expensive mods - I never get sick of them!!

Hehehe...even though some people don't believe me, I hate having to do it so often but every few months, it comes up because of new users. Of course, there is always the people who fight it (mainly because they have knock-offs or want to justify "cheaping out" on their Lexo)...which brings me to...

It's all a learning experience and I think that every member on the board should have owned and modded a Honda or Acura before purchasing a GS.
--
YES YES YES. I wish more people had the experiences that some of use went through and I wish they could have see the BS products first hand....it's hard to convince people who have themselves convinced that APC makes quality products (through advertising "programming")...

But I keep trying to help people see the light. Honestly, I get nothing out of it...I just want to help steer people in the right direction so that we ALL can be proud of each other rides and know that when you see a ClubLexus sticker on a car, it means that the ***** is done right!
Old 07-30-02, 12:21 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by manaray

...and know that when you see a ClubLexus sticker on a car, it means that the ***** is done right!
Maybe Stactic should start having members submit a pic and list of mods to a 'CL panel of judges' before sending out the stickers
Old 07-30-02, 01:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by manaray
I just want to help steer people in the right direction so that we ALL can be proud of each other rides and know that when you see a ClubLexus sticker on a car, it means that the ***** is done right!
"At ClubLexus We Do ***** Right"

Quick Reply: Lexus= Too much money damnit!