GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus= Too much money damnit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02, 11:06 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus= Too much money damnit!

All I gotta say is that the aftermarket for Lexus is so expensive, I know that people are gonna say, O yea u own a lexus and what not, u must have money, but when u think about it u can easily drop 20 thousand on our cars, with plenty of mods left... Like for instance, Some good *** rims, the ones im looking to get will probably run about 5 g's with tires, then for shocks and springs, say another thousand, then TC... Supercharger.. LSD... System....Tv's,

Anyone wanna help start a donation for me to get these things? haha

ShOwGS
Old 07-26-02, 11:10 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

I agree with you bro. I bought my TEIN's today for $1000+ and see so many coilovers for Hondas for $300 - it kills me. However, I have owned a Honda and know why I upgraded to a LEX. It still sux tho.
Old 07-26-02, 11:11 PM
RacingAristo

Lexus mod is cheaper than BMW mod. Do you know how much for a set of ACS pedal set? I paid $500~$600 for a set of used Remus carbon fiber muffler for M3. On the other hand, Borla SS is only around $400 for a brand new set. I found modifying BMW a lot more expansive than Lexus. Plus we have more selection than bimmers.
Old 07-26-02, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah, to me it's something called price the market.

well i think it would be too exterme to talk about parts for honda cars, let's put acura, lexus, and bimmers into the talk. i have a acura tl type s, obviously a gs4, and my friend has the previous gen m3.

now i think it could be the case that more engineering work would have to be done on the bimmer or lexus than the acura to achieve better results, but over time i think it's more or less the same cost.

however, when you look at the market, you pay very different prices for the three cars. compare a good / reputative springs / shocks, exhuast, or sways for the three cars and you will often see that the acura ones are the cheapest, then the lexus, and finally the bimmer ones....

now how about the outcome? i have both the lexus and acura and i can tell you, i paid much less on handling parts on the acura than what i would on the lexus, but my acura handles lots better. seriously, sways are just a piece of metal, it's hard to justify the 300 bucks price difference between the one for acura and the one for lexus.

so to me it's price the market, a very common business scheme. they see you own a lexus or bimmer, they automatically assume you can afford to pay more, so they price it high, to the "balance" point. on the other hand for people with acura, they have to lower it a bit to attract the people.

and now you probably can start putting honda into the picture too
Old 07-27-02, 12:23 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Its mostly to do with numbers. Less lexus gsxxxs are built and even less get aftermerket performance parts. If it costs 5000 dollars to tool the machines to make that part then we are going to share more of the tooling cost than say a zillion civics. Not to mention the amount of demad makes more manufactures interested and more manufactuers means more competitive pricing in the market.
Old 07-27-02, 12:31 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, you can leave it stock...

And you can not compare $300 "coilovers" on a Honda Civic to a set of Tein FLEX...and not all Honda parts are cheap...CHEAP Honda parts are cheap. Real Mugen, Spoon, etc. parts are not cheap.

If CHEAPNESS is your concern, then there is nothing wrong with fixing up a Honda or Mustang....
Old 07-27-02, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Poor babies.
Old 07-27-02, 01:37 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Plus we have more selection than bimmers.
really? i always thought they had a world more than we did. boy, and i thought we had little to choose from
Old 07-27-02, 01:55 PM
robbsneak
Pole Position

Arrow lol,.what mod can a brother do with only a

,....lol
Old 07-27-02, 02:36 PM
enginyr
Banned

Its pricey, but worth it.....

When your parents jock your ryde just as much as your little brother......Thats when you know you've picked the right car.
Old 07-27-02, 02:47 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by enginyr
Its pricey, but worth it.....

When your parents jock your ryde just as much as your little brother......Thats when you know you've picked the right car.

Lmaooooo that's the funiest and truest thing i've ever heard

ShOwGS
Old 07-27-02, 05:50 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

You know, I've modded my Lex quite a bit, and with all of the creeks, rattles and such, I probably wouldn't do it again. Plus with my ride being lowered, I can't make a slow right turn without someone wanting to rearend me here in Vegas. It's not enough to spend lots of $$$ on your car, then someone recks it all up! Haters.
Old 07-27-02, 05:56 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Getting the mods one at a time makes it seem not so pricey. Just dont add them up! What else ya gonna do?
Old 07-27-02, 06:36 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

I'm with you Manaray - I am seriously not complaining about the cost. I have owned Hondas, BMW's and Acura's and my GS400 takes the gold. The car looks and drives like a champ!
Old 07-27-02, 11:00 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I think they could lower the price. But it not alot of people hooking up Lexus as Honda's ......its not in demand like honda is.

Quick Reply: Lexus= Too much money damnit!