GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How long do your tires last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 11:52 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine have a treadwear of 600 and after 10k I can see inner wear of about 30%. I am not even that low with .5 finger gap all around
Old 11-08-10, 01:56 PM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have nitto 555, im passed 25,000+ and still have plenty of tire left, also dropped on tanabe df,20 in wheels and -2.1 camber.
Old 11-08-10, 03:26 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Im on 19's and im using Hankooks V12. Michellins for 19's you are talking about $300+ each. So i said forget it. I dont drive aggressive anyhow.

Originally Posted by sakataj
i know john, no WAY u getting that mileage, especially not with ONE rotation on those cheap *** tires.

i rotate mine EVERY 3k (since the tire shop i bought them from are on the street next to my work) and i have 35k on my michelins and they are at halfway but i literally check my tire pressure once a week, im on nitrogen,rotate every 3k and i do alignment atleast 1-2 times a year and still probably will not see 70k out of those tires

i love michelins BTW thought john, costy yes but typically quieter and a better tire than anyone else.....i mean this is what keeps your car "planted" to the ground no reason to cheap out on this one even my 19's im getting for my rays are michelins.
Old 11-09-10, 09:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Michellins for 19's you are talking about $300+ each.
whats the wear/tear/noise like on those hankooks? they even last?

the michelin pilot sport as plus aren't terribly to expensive i can get all 5 for like 1200-1300 shipped (although local place wants 1600 for them + 30 or so for road hazard package) and they have a good tread life BUT the michelin pilot sport ps2 they are like 360 a tire and your lucky to make 25k on the rears....so i said forget them and im going with the michelin pilot sport as plus
Old 11-09-10, 09:40 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was surprised when I found out that my Kumho's have a 600 treadwear, any other brand you guys know with the same/better?
Old 11-09-10, 11:34 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

whats the wear/tear/noise like on those hankooks? they even last?

the michelin pilot sport as plus aren't terribly to expensive i can get all 5 for like 1200-1300 shipped (although local place wants 1600 for them + 30 or so for road hazard package) and they have a good tread life BUT the michelin pilot sport ps2 they are like 360 a tire and your lucky to make 25k on the rears....so i said forget them and im going with the michelin pilot sport as plus
They should last at least 20k from the reviews. I bought them used. So I cant tell.

I mean, if you know it's gonna wear, but cheap tires but not crap tires. You know what I mean? Hankooks aren't like Falkens so I'm happy.
Old 11-11-10, 12:10 AM
dealer374
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Wow that's crazy! I'm guessing you were running stock suspension?
Yes my GS is bone stock its my DD

im DEF calling shenanigans........your saying you ran 70K on a tire with ONLY one rotation that's got a UTQG rating of 340 (essentially that rating means, assuming you keep them rotated/tires properly inflated/car aligned they should last you 40,000) but you only did one rotation and have got 70k on them with a little bit left?

SHENANIGANS SIR

even on stock suspension they wouldn't last like that, especially not on one rotation....
OK buddy call whatever you want but thats what I got of 'em. I'll give you this you know way more about these cars then I do and probably ever will but know this it's my car I know what I drove with them. Bought the car with 33k and got them brand new, so ok I got 68k. So your telling me that when I had my T-belt and water pump @ 101k done Lexus didn't measure my tires at that? I suppose you want to tell me that @ 105k there is no way im still on my OEM pads up front too huh? Lexus didnt measure those at 5mm when the t-belt was done either? I do just about all highway since I bought the car I drive easy barley 80mph and I don't do burn outs/smokies or anything like that
Old 11-11-10, 12:33 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

C'mon brian, there has to be a better way to come at someone than that.

im DEF calling shenanigans........your saying you ran 70K on a tire with ONLY one rotation that's got a UTQG rating of 340 (essentially that rating means, assuming you keep them rotated/tires properly inflated/car aligned they should last you 40,000) but you only did one rotation and have got 70k on them with a little bit left?

SHENANIGANS SIR
Old 11-11-10, 12:42 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dealer374
Yes my GS is bone stock its my DD

OK buddy call whatever you want but thats what I got of 'em. I'll give you this you know way more about these cars then I do and probably ever will but know this it's my car I know what I drove with them. Bought the car with 33k and got them brand new, so ok I got 68k. So your telling me that when I had my T-belt and water pump @ 101k done Lexus didn't measure my tires at that? I suppose you want to tell me that @ 105k there is no way im still on my OEM pads up front too huh? Lexus didnt measure those at 5mm when the t-belt was done either? I do just about all highway since I bought the car I drive easy barley 80mph and I don't do burn outs/smokies or anything like that
I believe that you're probably still on factory pads (I'm assuming you mean the original right) My pops has 250,000 on his factory pads (different vehicle) I'm at 208,000 and am quite certain I too am on original pads. The life on both tires and pads, IMO, has to do with conditions of driving. If you're a constant fast driver, pads and tires can wear quickly. I bet if you got a tire and drove on it at 1mph for 100,000 miles, I bet they would be brand new so because things like this cant be proven I will go on record with saying its very much probable
Old 11-11-10, 12:57 AM
dealer374
Driver

Yes I did mean factory pads, my rears went at around 50k just like my other 2 toyota's
Old 11-11-10, 01:04 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I did mean factory pads, my rears went at around 50k just like my other 2 toyota's
Really? I would think the fronts would go faster than the rears since most cars have a 70/30 braking ratio (I think thats the ratio) all I know is that i've been impressed with the life of these pads Mine are starting to squeal I'm more than certain its because of my massive 10ton rims have quickly warn them out (didnt have them on for the life of the car, only the last 30k) In which btw, my tires still have a good 50%+ tread on them
Old 11-11-10, 01:06 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At my rate, it'll last forever. In the last 2 yrs...200 miles.
Old 11-11-10, 01:10 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
sweet!

However, I think my other car beats you I've got maybe 2 miles on it in the last 2-3 years
Old 11-11-10, 08:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

it doesnt matter if you drive on the highway or the city and dont do burnouts the tire isnt rated for almost double the life it is suggested for. the tire from the manufacturers ratings is rated at 40k under optimal conditions I.E. consistent tire rotations, tires pressurized correctly,car aligned,etc. NOW your saying you only do highway driving which will let them last longer but NO WAY with only one rotation have they lasted 70k,i would have been suprised if they ACTUALLY lasted 40k with only one tire rotation but as with most things on the internet its hard to prove yeah or nah about it so, i still call shenanigans. BTW why wouldnt you replace them if they down to 5/32, they about ready to go sir.

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
C'mon brian, there has to be a better way to come at someone than that.
nathaniel,you of all people,really?

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I will go on record with saying its very much probable
this aint myth busters sir

Originally Posted by PHML
thats sad Phil, especially since your car is so nice and the weather is beautiful their when its not the rainy season. BTW i like your new pic
Old 11-11-10, 01:10 PM
dealer374
Driver

it doesnt matter if you drive on the highway or the city and dont do burnouts the tire isnt rated for almost double the life it is suggested for. the tire from the manufacturers ratings is rated at 40k under optimal conditions I.E. consistent tire rotations, tires pressurized correctly,car aligned,etc. NOW your saying you only do highway driving which will let them last longer but NO WAY with only one rotation have they lasted 70k,i would have been suprised if they ACTUALLY lasted 40k with only one tire rotation but as with most things on the internet its hard to prove yeah or nah about it so, i still call shenanigans. BTW why wouldnt you replace them if they down to 5/32, they about ready to go sir.
Ok so your telling it doesnt matter ther driving conditions? it doesn't matter wether I do burnouts or not? That doesnt make sense sir obviously that would wear the tire faster! Just like how city driving or stab braking would wear the tire faster also. I didn't bother to rotate because I it's a uni-directional tire so properly rotate (cross the backs when you bring them up front) i'd have to break the tire off the rim and pay for mount an rebalance, not worth it to me every 7,500mi. Why did I buy new tires with 5/32" left? I live in New England bro ever heard of a Noreaster or drove in a blizzard? That tire is summer performance V pattern tire which = **** in the snow, That's why. Your right this is the internet and its hard prove or disprove someone else's statments but riddle me this why would I bother to lie about tire milage to have some odd bragging rights on this forum about tread wear? I don't have that much free time but I must have some because im wasting here with you lol

Quick Reply: How long do your tires last?