GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

We own nice friggen' cars!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 07:02 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah. They gave us the RX300 once and it was ok I guess considering it was a SUV. This time they gave us the new 2003 ES300 and man... I missed the GS! The power just isn't there.
Old 11-07-03, 12:11 PM
whitelotus
Rookie

Okay, let's not cheapen ourselves by slurring other brands and the people who drive them. Just like Amy said, there's a reason why there's different cars for different people. Obviously we're all driving GS's for a reason. A few of you know that I sold my MBZ C320 because of terrible mechanical problems, and the GS was the only car that didn't make me feel like I was taking a big step down (ES/IS) or a lateral move (BMW 3). I've owned a BMW 325i, a Mercedes C320, and the GS300, and while I like the GS the best out of all of them, they all had their charms. I certainly don't consider myself a jerk-off stuck up wanna be yup any more than I want to be considered a jerk off stuck up wanna be luxury ricer.

In fact, if someone told me I had to buy a car in that price range and keep it stock, I would choose a Bimmer or Benz, just because of power and handling... I'm not real fond of the GS as delivered, but with a few "improvements", it's the best of the lot.
Old 11-07-03, 12:48 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by whitelotus
Okay, let's not cheapen ourselves by slurring other brands and the people who drive them. Just like Amy said, there's a reason why there's different cars for different people....
I agree.

.....I certainly don't consider myself a jerk-off stuck up wanna be yup any more than I want to be considered a jerk off stuck up wanna be luxury ricer.
Of course there are people out there that AREN'T jerks, snobs, or wanna-be yuppies; I wanted a 5 series in 1996 before the 2nd gen GS came out and I am none of the above. But you do understand that we may represent the minority? I even mentioned that I like the 745i . If I could afford the maintenance, upkeep and repair I would love a 2002 S500 or 2004 E55 AMG - but we're discussing the average owner of these cars. Just like GS owners have a certain mentality and common interests, so do BMW and MB owners. I know people that have bought a 1985 190 or a 1990 500SL just for the sake of saying they are driving an MB. IMO they threw their money in the trash and should've spent that 10K on a Camry or an Accord but then they wouldn't be able to floss that MB tri-star keychain.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 11-07-03 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 01:05 PM
whitelotus
Rookie

Originally posted by Darius2004

But you do understand that we may represent the minority? I even mentioned that I like the 745i and the2002 S Class and E55 AMG but we're discussing the avarage owner of these cars. Just like GS owners have a certain mentality and common interests, so do BMW and MB owners.
Well, I'll give you that. 1) Anyone who spends as much time as we do on a forum devoted to their cars is not exactly the common vehicle owner. 2)There are a lot of people who drive Lexus as a status car too, but you wouldn't find them doing anything so undignified as posting on a place like this. LOL!

I know people that have bought a 1985 190 or a 1990 500SL just for the sake of saying they are driving an MB. IMO they threw their money in the trash and should've spent that 10K on a Camry or an Accord butthen they wouldn't be able to floss that MB tri-star keychain.
As a previous/current owner of a couple of old BMWs, I have to say that I LOVE the old styles, and back then they were practically bullet-proof. My 18 year old, 236M 5-series is testament to that. But again, that comes from a not-very-common enthusiast standpoint. I do know a lot of people who buy a piece of crap just for the sake of the badging.

Though I do tend to think that it's a case of the squeaky wheel... the obnoxious ones are the ones who give everyone else a bad rap. I think probably 5% of the BMW/MB drivers fall into that category and the rest pretty much mind their own business and enjoy their car for their own reasons.

Actually, sometimes I surprise myself with my views on people's motives, considering I tend to be somewhat of a cynic. I guess my main point was that I love the fact that CL is a place where the usual flames about other car makes don't occur (as compared to "other" boards where that 5% tend to congregate and flame about Lexus owners) so I hate to see threads drifting that way.

And btw, I got a kick out of your other thread, good idea.
Old 11-07-03, 04:14 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by whitelotus
I certainly don't consider myself a jerk-off stuck up wanna be yup any more than I want to be considered a jerk off stuck up wanna be luxury ricer.
Originally posted by Darius2004

Of course there are people out there that AREN'T jerks, snobs, or wanna-be yuppies.
OK guys just to be clear what you both are quoting from me and for others not to take what I said out of context.

I said there are "too many" who are jerk-off, wanna be, etc. I NEVER said ALL people who drive BMW's are that way. I also want to point out that a lot of people stereo type BMW owners in this negative manner. The majority of the people do not think this way, but there are enough out there that do, so much that it hurts BMW's reputation (IMHO) and I have chosen to avoid the brand because of it. I DO have friends who own nice BMWs, so no offense to them or anyone who are not the type of people I described.

If it were not for image and styling, BMW would of been a choice for me. Now if we're talking Mercedes, I would seriously consider one in my future purchases. In fact my wife just bought a Lexus last month after eyeballing a Mercedes for over a year.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-07-03 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-07-03, 05:10 PM
whitelotus
Rookie

Just for the record, no hard feelings... I'd just be very disappointed to see a "Top 10 Reasons Why [any make] Sucks" thread started on here, given CL's good reputation for maturity (and the fact that many of us have other brand loyalties in addition to Lexus.)
Old 11-07-03, 11:09 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that's why I didn't post a top 10. If I did, it would be top 10 reasons why you didn't choose X brand. Not top 10 reasons why X brand sucks. That would be more tasteful and more in line with the mature folk we have here on ClubLexus.

There's another good point about how people on other make forums behave, they not only flame other brands, they flame each other. Kind of re-enforces what I said about how these people bring down the reputation of a certain brand names.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-07-03 at 11:10 PM.