GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

We own nice friggen' cars!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-02, 09:24 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We own nice friggen' cars!

Wow! It really hit me today when I took my GS4 to the dealer and they gave me a loaner 2002 ES. Nothing can compare to the GS4...PERIOD.

I know I am supposed to be a die hard Lexus owner, however an IS is a glorified Honda and the ES is a Toyata Camery with some make-up. Seriously, nothing can compare to a GS4!

Old 07-29-02, 10:40 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Synergy,

I can't agree with you more brother. I could'nt believe what a let down the es was when I drove it as a loaner. I couldn't wait to get back into my GS4.

Keep pimpin,

Lev
Old 07-30-02, 01:27 AM
robbsneak
Pole Position

Thumbs up Synergy,...

You said it perfectly,.. im sincerely feeling ya brotha!

But what can be said about the LS?,..cause thats pimped out!
Old 07-30-02, 03:14 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: We own nice friggen' cars!

Originally posted by Synergy
Wow! It really hit me today when I took my GS4 to the dealer and they gave me a loaner 2002 ES. Nothing can compare to the GS4...PERIOD.

I know I am supposed to be a die hard Lexus owner, however an IS is a glorified Honda and the ES is a Toyata Camery with some make-up. Seriously, nothing can compare to a GS4!

I wouldn't say the IS is a glorified honda, more like a yet-to-be-3 series sedan competitor. the gearbox is nice, but the 3 is just still so much better. the GS is truly unique
Old 07-30-02, 04:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do wish that Lexus would SEPERATE the ES from the Camry. Seriously, the ES needs to be on a different platform. Toyota has many they can choose from in Japan, I don't know why they just keep "cheapening" the Lexus badge by offering an overglorified Camry. We all know the ES300 is a nice car and all but still...

As for the GS, yeah, I think they're ok...

As for the IS, it's hardly an overglorfied Honda. It's a RWD for starters, it's built more solid than a Honda (trust me, I've been in or driven nearly every Honda made since the early 80's...).

The interior needs to be toned down. Too "boy racer". NOT a good thing...I mean look what the Integra did to the image of Acura. They could have made it sporty w/o making it extreme....otherwise, I think the IS is a wonderful car. Handles very well but it DEFINITELY could use a power boost (as could the ENTIRE Lexus lineup).

The should also stiffen up the IS a bit more. 3 owners expect it, why can't IS3 owners? All the TRD "upgrades" should be standard. Make the base IS3 outhandle the 3 series. Flat out. No bull*****....I don't understand how Toyota goes so "outside of the box" with the interior yet they're so inside the box with the performance and handling... I think the bean counters at Toyota have too much influence
Old 07-30-02, 01:54 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Have you been inside a Ultra Luxury LS430. My mom has one and deng, it's like 10 times nicer than our cars hands down. The leather is totally better and the ride is different. The LS430 is a luxury car. I just got a 330xi too, and that's a different car in a different class. But i like BMW's and Lexus's too. Both great cars.
Old 07-30-02, 05:39 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

They always give me a GS300 as a loaner. Sometimes have to wait a little longer to get a GS300. Drove the GS300 Loaner over 900 miles since last week(drove to Disney World with it) Saved me mileage on my Lease. But I want to get back in my GS430 which is now being painted after gravel damage.

Last edited by ceoart; 07-30-02 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 06:03 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Default Re: We own nice friggen' cars!

Originally posted by Synergy

I disagree with everything with the exception of GSs being nice cars They are indeed nice...I love mine, but to say "nothing can compare" is sort of a strecth.

The ES300 and Camry share the same platform, but I still think it is a very nice entry level luxury car...based on the sales figures many others do too. It's no GS and not intended to be, yet it offers some luxury features that the GS does not.

The IS is not a glorified Honda...I've wondered myself why they didn't just market it as a Toyota, but it is still a nice ride.

When I took my car in for service yersterday, they gave me a RX300 and I found my self thinking 'Hey, this is pretty nice vehicle...if I had a couple of kid's, I would roll this'
Old 07-30-02, 07:29 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the Lexus line is all good...but they need to put some muscle in the ES, 8 sec to 60?... come on! I guess the 430 ruined me! Hehe
Old 07-30-02, 08:06 PM
Synergy

Maybe I was a little hard on the IS, however it seems that the guys who are driving them in the bay area appear very similar to the demo I see driving slammed Honda V6 Accords. I know vinyl is an exciting concept, however the guy that decided to brand his car with logos without getting paid should be shot. Yeah the IS performs better than Honda, but the demographic is clearly tailored to target the import racer. While it may be a better car than the BMW 3 series, it is still a "mini-me" to the GS.
Old 07-30-02, 08:55 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS better than the 3? i would definitely take a 3 over the IS but all these people around here i can't stand have 3s and its just such a mildlife crisis car that i couldn't ever buy one. the 3 is better, but i'd rather take the IS for all the wrong reasons.

as far as the camry/ES issue, i'd rather buy the camry. i think the new camrys just look great while the ES lights are like a grown celica or something. nothing that special
Old 07-30-02, 09:04 PM
Synergy

Seriously, drive the new ES. It has T O Y O T A written all over it. The look is an upgrade from a Camery, but the drive is pretty cheese.
Old 07-30-02, 09:15 PM
LexFather

For those that have not driven the IS, it is more a 3 than the new 3. The ES is a WONDERFUL entry level sedan, it is priced right and if not for my COMPLETE satisfaction with that car, I would not have bought the GS.

for 50k, the GS better make me feel like a MILLION! Besides the Aston Martin's and Lamborghini's, I am privledged, blessed and lucky to affford my dream car, the GS 400!

I have had 2, 2002 ES loaners, I disagree, the interior is AWESOME and to me, it looks less like any Toyota.
Old 07-30-02, 09:28 PM
Synergy

Well, SICK I guess we just see things differently. The ES interior is okay, but it drove very cheap-like. I rent cars all of the time and have driven many - the ES just isn't Lexus quality in my book. I think we all can agree that the GS is superior which wa my original point.
Old 07-31-02, 01:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Synergy - Yeah, it's too bad so many ricers have IS's (quite a few over at "bad" site)...I don't know if the IS was the best idea Lexus had...it's too bad these ricers can't shed their mentality when finally get a Luxury car (even if it is an "entry level" Luxury car)

At least on the IS, the huge wings COULD be useful (unlike on a Civic...)

Quick Reply: We own nice friggen' cars!