GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Preferred HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10 | 12:41 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

I have DDM kits on all my cars and theyre good to go, cheap as hell too
Old 11-17-10 | 03:41 PM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

pulled the trigger on a 55W 8000K kit from DDM on Monday... total shipped was $56 to do both front headlights... I didn't get the wiring harness, as I felt I shouldn't have had to. Should be just plug 'n play.
Old 11-17-10 | 03:42 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

post pics when u get them
Old 11-17-10 | 03:51 PM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

anyone know if I shot myself in the foot by not getting the harness too?

I've got a '99 GS3, and ordered a set of 55W 8000K HID's...
Old 11-17-10 | 03:57 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

no why I didnt get any harness when putting in my HID
Old 11-17-10 | 04:44 PM
maximus54
Driver

I got DDM 35W 6K in lows/highs/ and fogs... Didnt go 55W bc it can get too HOT for our stock wiring. Didn't want to melt anything, and with the fogs it is plenty bright.
Old 11-18-10 | 12:55 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShansLexGS
pulled the trigger on a 55W 8000K kit from DDM on Monday... total shipped was $56 to do both front headlights... I didn't get the wiring harness, as I felt I shouldn't have had to. Should be just plug 'n play.
Yes, they are Plug n Play, however i would reccomend wiring them using a harness w/ relay. This way, it will be powered directly from the car battery and give consistent power. This will make them more reliable, and ensure longevity.
Old 11-18-10 | 12:57 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
had u guys clicked on the link in post # 2 u would see they are....SORTA added features cost more.

i was fixing to order a set until i saw these and didnt know if i needed the hid harness dual in dual out which is a $15 option

googled it and found info on SMD

POST #7

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...l-out-harness/

Im interested in this kit due to this "draws less than 6 amps at start up"

im tired of both mine not coming on and i cant get a relay harness to work right so im getting a bigger underhood battery (no not for this reason) and if that doesnt fix it, then i will get a set of these and try them
Sakataj-

dont you have oem HID's?
Old 11-18-10 | 12:58 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShansLexGS
It's been covered, and I even came across a post a month or so ago, but can't find it, so I'm sorry for the redundancy...

What is the preferred aftermarket HID kit? I've got a '99 GS3 w/ halogen bulbs... bulb actually, as the drivers side bulb is out. I don't want to go in and replace w/ another halogen, because I had planned to go HID when this happened... well. here. i. am.

all info is appreciated!

-shannon
IMHO, if money isnt too much of an issue, i would do a retro. you cant compare a kit to projectors
Old 11-18-10 | 09:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Clear2Cloz
Sakataj-dont you have oem HID's?
i do, i have the OEM low beams, aftermarket high beams,and aftermarket fogs....but the ones im having issues with are in my fogs at startup.

you know there is a multiquote button BTW so you can respond to multiple people in one quote, just click on the + symbol and the last one you wanna quote, click on the quote button
Old 11-18-10 | 10:37 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
i do, i have the OEM low beams, aftermarket high beams,and aftermarket fogs....but the ones im having issues with are in my fogs at startup.

you know there is a multiquote button BTW so you can respond to multiple people in one quote, just click on the + symbol and the last one you wanna quote, click on the quote button
I got problems on start up where one side goes on and the other doesn't. I think it has something to do with the fog wiring.
Old 11-18-10 | 11:07 AM
Lexlthr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RLGS300
Hows the quality of the light, and how long have you had them? any problems?
The quality is just as good as OEM IMHO. The techs at my local Lexus dealership were pretty impressed by them the last time I took my car in. I have had mine for two months with no problems. My boy would told me about them has a 98 GS3 as well and has had his for over two years with no problems. His are 35W 8000K though.
Old 11-18-10 | 11:35 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I got problems on start up where one side goes on and the other doesn't. I think it has something to do with the fog wiring.
thats the exact issue im having john.i have found if i turn the fogs off, then turn them back on 99% of the time they both will light up. the last 1% of the time it takes me 2-3 times of doing this process to get them both lit up....my concern though is, it isnt good for the bulb to do this over and over. i dunno if its the wiring or not. the last wiring harness i bought from a seller i couldnt get it to function correctly either...

i was told by a vendor on here to try and use a ballast with a lower amp draw on startup (i dunno what mine use though) and i just wasnt feeling paying $200 for his with the 5 or 5.5 amp startup draw....specially not when the 6 amp startup is $59.38 shipped...

as i said im gonna try these out, if they dont fix my issue i didnt lose much you know. wish me luck
Old 11-20-10 | 06:00 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

I tracked down a "genuine" Philips kit on ebay and dropped about $300. It was this or OEM HID headlights/ballasts/bulbs for about a grand! I absolutely did NOT want that blue/purple look you can obviously tell is aftermarket from a mile away.
Let me tell you I've sat in many cars with factory HIDs and these look factory! True they throw the beam all over the road since the headlights are not internally built for them but the color temp is spot on. Even though they're 6000k they have that pure white pleasant look to them.
Couldn't be happier with non-OEM setup and I recommend these over anything else.
Old 11-20-10 | 06:07 PM
LexFather

Try to give the sponsors here help that pay the bills a chance. Check the vendors forum.

Quick Reply: Preferred HID Kit