GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Preferred HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 07:26 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Right.. Made me thought my bulb was bad and I bought new ones and it still does the same shiz. I don't know should I get the New Xtreme Kit (Slim Ballast) from XenonDepot or buy the cheap DDM which is 10 mins away from my house.

Originally Posted by sakataj
thats the exact issue im having john.i have found if i turn the fogs off, then turn them back on 99% of the time they both will light up. the last 1% of the time it takes me 2-3 times of doing this process to get them both lit up....my concern though is, it isnt good for the bulb to do this over and over. i dunno if its the wiring or not. the last wiring harness i bought from a seller i couldnt get it to function correctly either...

i was told by a vendor on here to try and use a ballast with a lower amp draw on startup (i dunno what mine use though) and i just wasnt feeling paying $200 for his with the 5 or 5.5 amp startup draw....specially not when the 6 amp startup is $59.38 shipped...

as i said im gonna try these out, if they dont fix my issue i didnt lose much you know. wish me luck
Old 11-22-10, 09:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Try to give the sponsors here help that pay the bills a chance. Check the vendors forum.
im all for that....i def buy stuff from the vendors as much as possible BUT i wasnt willing to pay $200 for a item the vendor couldnt say for sure would solve my issue

i def have been suppporting FIGS,Sewell,Carson,PPE and a few others BUT i wasnt to thrilled about some of our vendors when i was looking for some audio stuff and didnt even get a response from anyone

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ese-items.html
Old 11-22-10, 07:41 PM
CLGForce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maximus54
I got DDM 35W 6K in lows/highs/ and fogs... Didnt go 55W bc it can get too HOT for our stock wiring. Didn't want to melt anything, and with the fogs it is plenty bright.
I really don't understand how this is an issue when our factory bulbs are rated at 55 watts. I think the main purpose of a relay harness is the initial current draw from the ballasts is better drawn from the battery instead of from the factory wiring wth it's many lines and fuses that might be an issue for a clean current draw. Also our car's wiring is old and might not be in the best condition to deliver the same current as new. Just an opinion...
Old 11-24-10, 07:33 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

DDM overdrives 35W bulbs with 55W ballasts in their 55W HID kits. They actually state on their website that they use the same bulb in all their kits as they are supposedly rated to 60W. Overdriving a 35W bulb means that your bulb will burn hotter and go out significantly quicker. Whether or not their ballasts only draw 6A on start up is very questionable given the significant amount of posts I see about one side failing to ignite on occasion.

Steve
Old 11-24-10, 08:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Whether or not their ballasts only draw 6A on start up is very questionable given the significant amount of posts I see about one side failing to ignite on occasion.

Steve
dammit....we'll see if these work like i want them to (meaning lighting up both bulbs), if not i guess i will be talking to you about it afterwords.

what does yours draw for amps on startup? were you the vendor i was talking to for a week or so in PM bout this issue steve?
Old 11-24-10, 10:52 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Yup that was me. The Xtreme ballasts genuinely draw 4.5A on a cold start. I don't recall our conversation but I think the problem was either your HID kit or harness. Sorry... I don't remember the specifics. I just remember speaking with you given the pic in your signature :-)
Old 11-24-10, 11:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Yup that was me. The Xtreme ballasts genuinely draw 4.5A on a cold start. I don't recall our conversation but I think the problem was either your HID kit or harness. Sorry... I don't remember the specifics. I just remember speaking with you given the pic in your signature :-)
yeah i had 2 problems,first one was the harness didn't work correctly and second off the stupid lights wouldn't all light up on start up.

if these don't work, i will probably be swayed to get yours....it was just for the price i didnt
Old 11-24-10, 02:25 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Good Luck :-)
Old 11-27-10, 11:59 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

i do, i have the OEM low beams, aftermarket high beams,and aftermarket fogs....but the ones im having issues with are in my fogs at startup.

you know there is a multiquote button BTW so you can respond to multiple people in one quote, just click on the + symbol and the last one you wanna quote, click on the quote button
Ooh, OK...got ya.

BTW, i didnt know there was a multi-quote button or how to use it for that matter Thanks for the tip
Old 11-28-10, 07:15 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Good Luck :-)
thanks, just got them in the other day....the ballasts are tiny, was preoccupied this weekend to do them and im having other electrical issues im gonna work on first as it is so these the least of my concerns right now

Originally Posted by Clear2Cloz
BTW, i didnt know there was a multi-quote button or how to use it for that matter Thanks for the tip
yeah its cool...someone had to explain it to me too
Old 12-18-10, 11:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i just bought a set and the wiring harness and im hoping it rids me of my starting issue with my 3k fogs,wish me luck

Subtotal: $47.50
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $11.88
Order Total: $59.38
well little update.....i put my new battery in replacing my yellow top optima with a hc1800 (i also have a hc2400 in the trunk) and now i have NO issue with my fogs not starting up

Last edited by sakataj; 12-20-10 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-20-10, 10:06 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

well little update.....i put my new battery in replacing my yellow top optima with a hc1800 (i also have a hc2400 in the trunk) and now i have NO issue with my fogs not starting up
well, i spoke to soon....

i have started the car approximately 30+ times since putting the new battery in last night was the first and second time both didnt light up could have been cause it was mid 20's last night at 11. so maybe i will end up putting this kit on (when it gets warmer of course) although i dunno, if 9.9 out of 10 times it works, i might not mount them. we'll c
Old 12-20-10, 12:21 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a feeling its your OEM wiring. After putting many kits and that still happens.
Old 12-20-10, 12:30 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

Clean your contact point on the connector
And your factory grounding point
Its has help me in the past on older
Cars I've own ....just my two cents
Btw i have notice that in colder weather
Some hid kit take A little longer to warm up
Old 12-20-10, 02:00 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I have a feeling its your OEM wiring. After putting many kits and that still happens.
i been using the same brand of kits forever not different kits

Originally Posted by neojungle1
Btw i have notice that in colder weather Some hid kit take A little longer to warm up
i think this maybe the issue being that EVERYTIME but those 2 times they both lit up on startup then when the weather drops cold they dont....we shall see. i still have that kit to use if its not

Quick Reply: Preferred HID Kit