GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

From a ZX to a GS? Intro.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 08:45 AM
daxnizmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From a ZX to a GS? Intro.

Well this a my introduction as a noob to the Lexus GS300, or anything Lexus for that matter. I am currently looking into getting a '98 or '99 GS300 as I do not own one yet. I drive a Nissan 300ZX now and after 6 years, have gone thru 4 motors. Besides being burnt out on the Z, I also have a 5 yr. old daughter and the Z just isn't that practical anymore. I've been doing a lot of looking and research on reviews of the GS and have yet to find anything bad! My wife says NO to a Lexus because she sees expensive, especially in the repairs department. I see quality and reliability and say YES to the Lexus! That said, I'm just hanging around looking for all the "need to know" things about the GS300 like maintenance issues and such, to get a better idea of the car. Thanks for reading and I can't wait to be a Lexus owner!

Pics of the Z, aka The Gold Digger, cuz all she wants is my money!!

(I'm a neat freak under the hood )
Old 11-19-10, 08:52 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Now that's a clean engine bay!!
Old 11-19-10, 09:10 AM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice! can't wait to see what you do with the GS
Old 11-19-10, 09:23 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife says NO to a Lexus because she sees expensive,
I know you must have put alot money into the zx especially a turbo car...

besides mods I really dont think the lexus is expensive to maintain especially if you can work on cars. A gs300 engine bay is like heaven compared to a zx
the most common problem is ball joints you gotta replace those.
everything else routine maintaince and major maintence every 100k which is not that bad either
if the car you buy is really already maintained then ur gonna even be better off. if they left it so the new owner can do it all then it would be negotiation.
Id say look for the 65 mph vibration when you buy the car because if you got that then you can throw alot of money into the car to figure it out
if its already solid your just gonna gas up and go
Old 11-19-10, 10:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by daxnizmo
the Z, aka The Gold Digger, cuz all she wants is my money!!
hate to break it to you, but the GS will break you also....not from failure but from modding.... im in now way over 10k

BTW where are the pics of the GS?

Originally Posted by veritek
Now that's a clean engine bay!!
Old 11-19-10, 10:28 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He doesn't own one yet. Nice ZX!
Old 11-19-10, 10:47 AM
daxnizmo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome guys. My Z is NA and that's 4 NA motors too. I have had horrible luck, no hard driving killing the motors. I figure the GS is just like most older used vehicles but has a few things to really look for. I'm all about working on my own cars, screw labor costs!!! What's busted knuckles gonna hurt anyways?!?! LOL. I've noticed A LOT of super clean GS's too and cannot wait to put my own touch on one. Immediate plans would be an intake to get rid of the stock air box mess, then suspension, and later some wheels. Just some basic bolt-ons while trying not to get too deep in the wallet, lol.

The going rate I'm seeing is $5k-$6k for the 98 and 99's. Mileage is usually around 160k+. I'd like to stay away from anything over 175K if I can. Like I said, I'm still looking for "the one". Probably around the first of the year is when things will get really serious. Till then, I'm just creepin' round the site, soaking up the info! Thanks again.
Old 11-19-10, 10:49 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLMDGS3
He doesn't own one yet.
hahahahaha

i'll give myself a fail for that ? and skimming instead of reading

Originally Posted by daxnizmo
Probably around the first of the year is when things will get really serious. Till then, I'm just creepin' round the site, soaking up the info! Thanks again.
just read the stickies, they have ALMOST everything
Old 11-19-10, 11:00 AM
daxnizmo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
hahahahaha

i'll give myself a fail for that ? and skimming instead of reading

just read the stickies, they have ALMOST everything
LOL. It's all good. I really feel like a noob for posting up when I don't even own the car yet but I'm just so stoked about getting rid of the Z for something completely different! I'm ready to ENJOY the ride again. I've read thru a few stickies already. I may be new here but not to the forums. I have 9,500 in 3 years over on the Z forum so I know how to SEARCH first. Seems like a nice, laid back community here, I likes dat alot!
Old 11-19-10, 11:07 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

why not an SC since your coming from a Z? 2 door coupe, i6 or v8 engine and as reliable as a GS
Old 11-19-10, 12:40 PM
Dons98GS
Driver School Candidate

I agree with jadu. That would be a nice swap, but he said he has a daughter though
Old 11-19-10, 01:13 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadu
why not an SC since your coming from a Z? 2 door coupe, i6 or v8 engine and as reliable as a GS
alot of us GS owners are EX SC owners, not that there was alot to complain about in my SC, but i dont see alot of GS owners selling to buy a SC, its typically vice versa

BTW OP save your $ get a Gs400/430

Originally Posted by Dons98GS
I agree with jadu. That would be a nice swap, but he said he has a daughter though
and having a 5 year old crawling over your front seat to get out isnt fun nor is removing the car seat when she isnt there....
Old 11-19-10, 01:35 PM
daxnizmo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
alot of us GS owners are EX SC owners, not that there was alot to complain about in my SC, but i dont see alot of GS owners selling to buy a SC, its typically vice versa

BTW OP save your $ get a Gs400/430

and having a 5 year old crawling over your front seat to get out isnt fun nor is removing the car seat when she isnt there....
You're exactly right on the crawling over the seat thing! I want a 4 door for the convenience. I also thought about saving for a GS400 but I'm still not sure. We'll see. The cash from selling the Z is going to be the deciding factor. The more i get for it, the better/more i can afford.
Old 11-19-10, 02:13 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

hahaha, fair enough... i can only imagine.. i have a 1 yr old and she hasn't started walking yet, but shes close.. she also hasnt been in the sc yet yet.. that's what the mazdas for

daxnizmo, gl on getting a 2gs
Old 11-19-10, 04:13 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on the 400/430 if you get a GS, i drove 12hrs to get a 400 and definitely dont regret going with a 400 at all.

Quick Reply: From a ZX to a GS? Intro.