GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

F50 Cima Projector Headlights ("gatling guns")

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 11:30 AM
twyst
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F50 Cima Projector Headlights ("gatling guns")

I'm looking to buy a set F50 headlights [IMG][/IMG]Any place y'all can suggest? sites, vendors, ebay. etc... been checking around but no luck, i also visited Elite Auto style but they don't have it under they're selection list. And also how much would've these cost?
Old 11-20-10, 12:59 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Well thats an ebay product that someone decided to give a name for. They are cheap knock offs of the q45 projectors. Just go to ebay and type in "q45 projectors" you'll find them. They're about $200. Also Junction produce has them with an added $100 cause THEY're selling them.

If you want the real thing... better jump on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-04...Q5fAccessories

heres the cheap junk:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-20-10, 01:45 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

What's the difference? Don't flame lol.
Old 11-20-10, 05:25 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I've read on old threads, of subjective comments about the non-OEM Replica being cheap, poor quality, etc. I say to those, please explain WHY and be prepared to back it up ! ! ! !

I've dis-assembled and analyzed BOTH OEM Q45 and REPLICA side by side and this is MY analytical comparison:

The REPLICA is Not HID, but you can get a conversion kit for that.

REPLICA does not have standard Mounting brackets for levelers, so you would need to make your own mounting brackets or not use the leveler set up

Optics - Same dimensions and clarity for OEM and REPLICA

Materials : both construction and materials are of comparable build quality.

Internal reflector bowl area - REPLICA is 98% identical in design to the OEM

I'm also not here to argue other opinions or to recommend one over the other.

I'm just providing a clear, analytical review of both and I leave it up to individuals to decide what suits their needs and budget.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-20-10 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-20-10, 05:32 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
While I've heard subjective comments about the non-OEM being cheap, poor quality, etc. I say to those, please explain WHY and be prepared to back it up ! ! ! !

I've dis-assembled and analyzed BOTH OEM and Copy side by side and this is MY analytical comparison:

The knockoff is Not HID, but you can get a conversion kit for that.

Non-OEM does not have standard Mounting brackets for levelers, so you would need to make your own mounting brackets or not use the leveler set up

Optics - Same size and clarity for OEM and copy

Materials : both construction and materials are of comparable quality.

Internal reflector bowl area - Copy is 98% identical in design to the OEM

I'm not here to recommend one or the other, just providing a clear, analytical review of both and I leave it up to individuals to decide.

I'm also not here to argue other opinions as I think people can read the info and decide for themselves
thanks for the analysis. do u know if the luxurymods bracket would work with the replicas as well?
Old 11-20-10, 05:50 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by 5t341th
thanks for the analysis. do u know if the luxurymods bracket would work with the replicas as well?

Nope. The external mounts are completely different. The Luxury Mods bracket makes life easier, but if you are willing to give up auto-leveling then you should be able to make simple brackets like people used to do back when there was no bracket available. It's possible to make the auto-leveling work with the REPLICA, but it would require some work and fabrication skills.

You should also be able to insert the REPLICA deeper into the housing for a more flush look, because the bulb housing does not stick out as much out back.

Again its a trade off: looks vs performance vs functionality, it's your call.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-20-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-20-10, 07:49 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster

That was a good deal. They are GONE!
Old 11-21-10, 07:58 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

That's the best price I've seen on those. Back when I was deciding between LS430 and Q45 the lowest cost Q45's I could find were $700-$900..
Old 11-21-10, 09:15 AM
twyst
Pole Position

Nope. The external mounts are completely different. The Luxury Mods bracket makes life easier, but if you are willing to give up auto-leveling then you should be able to make simple brackets like people used to do back when there was no bracket available. It's possible to make the auto-leveling work with the REPLICA, but it would require some work and fabrication skills.

You should also be able to insert the REPLICA deeper into the housing for a more flush look, because the bulb housing does not stick out as much out back.

Again its a trade off: looks vs performance vs functionality, it's your call.
Big ups for the whole analysis on these items that was a very good input.
Old 11-21-10, 06:26 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

While I've read on old threads, of subjective comments about the non-OEM Replica being cheap, poor quality, etc. I say to those, please explain WHY and be prepared to back it up ! ! ! !

I've dis-assembled and analyzed BOTH OEM Q45 and REPLICA side by side and this is MY analytical comparison:

The REPLICA is Not HID, but you can get a conversion kit for that.

REPLICA does not have standard Mounting brackets for levelers, so you would need to make your own mounting brackets or not use the leveler set up

Optics - Same dimensions and clarity for OEM and REPLICA

Materials : both construction and materials are of comparable build quality.

Internal reflector bowl area - REPLICA is 98% identical in design to the OEM

I'm also not here to argue other opinions or to recommend one over the other.

I'm just providing a clear, analytical review of both and I leave it up to individuals to decide what suits their needs and budget.
so you're saying that these knock-offs [which were constructed for halogen] can be used with HID's and perform the same as the Q45's? Hmm... then I wonder why I had crappy output/cutoff when I used halogen projectors by mistake on my first retro attempt 6 years ago...

with my studies I have learned that the alignment for the light projectiles of a standard halogen projector are not the same for that of an HID bulb thus scatters the light in all directions. These conclusions can not be made by just a mere visual analytical review. However on the quite obvious side, when it comes to any type of focusing, you cant use the same focus source (in this case the projector lens) of one light to another which is brighter.

OP: as also said above, these are just my "opinions", however if you do do these projectors, I wouldnt recommend using hid's in them no matter what 'conversion' kit exists.

Heres a link to a thread here in regards to these conversion kits in a halogen projector. This will further support my theory.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...intensive.html

I'll retract my statement in regards to them being 'crap'; I suppose if used how they were designed to be, they will do their job...
Old 11-21-10, 06:45 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

The replica ones are pretty good quality compared to the OEM ones. The output is probably a little worse but I don't think it really matters since the OEM ones don't have awesome output anyway. Besides, anyone doing this mod is doing it for cosmetic reasons anyway.
Old 11-22-10, 12:22 PM
RMMGS4

so you're saying that these knock-offs [which were constructed for halogen] can be used with HID's and perform the same as the Q45's?
Nope Nate, I never stated anything about performance, just stated my observations and now you have added your additional findings.

Your input on the performance of HID converted Halogens is the type of response I'm promoting. I encourage such feedback, instead of the BS input I've seen others give with "One Word" responses saying something is "crap", "cheap" or "Fleabay" when more than likely they know Nothing because their opinion it is not based on any Real World analysis or evidence.

As for performance, if someone was really interested in lighting performance, they wouldn't be using these old technology headlights right? Lets separate any discussions on headlight performance from the cosmetic aspect of this mod, because I’d say 90+% of the active GS members are NOT into improving the performance aspects of their car with the exception of ICE.

If there is a GS owner out there with a significant # of mods, where not a single change has degraded the performance of their car, let them be the first to throw stones.

Originally Posted by chrispy
The replica ones are pretty good quality compared to the OEM ones. The output is probably a little worse but I don't think it really matters since the OEM ones don't have awesome output anyway. Besides, anyone doing this mod is doing it for cosmetic reasons anyway.
Chris, I actually didn't see your response until after I posted, but yup !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-22-10 at 12:53 PM.