GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

MY GS400!! - Before & After Accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 07:44 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take the 10k and part with the car. its gonna be a headache to fix, the car will not be the same, and it is a 99.

in a buyer's market like we have today, 10k will get you a long way.
Old 11-23-10, 07:59 PM
t78rx8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baliztik
Definately salvage. I would look at the market of cars you have available. If a similar GS400 with same mileage etc. is near you for much cheaper, take the whole payment and go buy that car.

A lot of members on here once their car has been salvaged use the money and put it back into the car to upgrade it. I wouldn't go this route, but to each their own.
They did consider it totaled due to the estimate the collision shop gave. But AAA said it would be CLEAR, unless there was some frame damage, in which there isn't.

Here are my estimates thus far, doing it on my own. My dad knows a guy who works at a collision shop. So he helped us out with the parts, and claims that the guy who paints for him will do a good job, for cheap...

Hood - New OEM $380
Grill- New OEM $ 95
Rad support (TOP) - New OEM $ 40
A/C condensor - NEW $113

TOTAL: $628 In parts

NOW.. The headlight MAY still be useable, and the front bumper SHOULD be able to be fixed, I believe.

If the headlight is not fixable I can get a new aftermarket assembly for $174.

Say i DO need a new headlight.. that totals $802 in parts. How much could it possible cost to paint, and mold that front bumper? I'm gonna guess $1K, considering im supposed to be getting "the hookup." So with that scenario, assuming I can put the parts back on myself.. it totals as a $1800 fix, and should be looking fresh. Am I wrong?!

BTW, the damage you see on the drivers side fender was there before the accident. I've decided to just leave it as-is for now. So yes, the only paint I will need is the hood and bumper. I'm a college student, this extra money will go a long way for me
Old 11-23-10, 08:51 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you will need to blend or it won't match...whites show a lot when you dont blend. Better to blend into both fenders.
Old 11-23-10, 09:08 PM
CLGForce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
take the 10k and part with the car. its gonna be a headache to fix, the car will not be the same, and it is a 99.

in a buyer's market like we have today, 10k will get you a long way.
couldn't have said it better..move on.

also be careful when you do decide to keep/sell that AAA don't report it as an accident that occurred on the carfax/autocheck.
Old 11-23-10, 09:20 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the end of the day your gonna end up spending more than you think but it may be worth fixing. You arent in the business of fixing cars I have done it myself before, and saved some money but the results were not that good. so why dont you ask the shop that you say you got the hookup for all parts and labor quote. So that will be a fixed amount
instead of guessing
Old 11-23-10, 09:44 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by CLGForce
also be careful when you do decide to keep/sell that AAA don't report it as an accident that occurred on the carfax/autocheck.
If they pay out on a claim, they have the responsibility to report the accident and they should. If they tell him that with no frame damage it's not going to be listed as salvage, then that's where he needs to follow through and ensure they don't list that.

I agree with toy - get the estimate from the guy including time and materials - for both the hood/bumper, and hood/bumper/fenders. Blending is an art, and you should pony up for that. The extra $$ now will make you happy later. Trust us on this. Bad paint work definitely lowers the look and value. If you're going to repair it, do it right the first time.

Big Mack
Old 11-24-10, 12:59 AM
sikkwidit
Pole Position

I would of took the 9900 nd bought another Gs
Old 11-24-10, 08:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by t78rx8
BTW, the damage you see on the drivers side fender was there before the accident. I've decided to just leave it as-is for now. So yes, the only paint I will need is the hood and bumper. I'm a college student, this extra money will go a long way for me
IF your gonna do all this other work including paint work, FIX THE FENDER...its not that much more....

as i said in my first post take the 10k and buy a different gs
Old 11-24-10, 11:19 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t78rx8
Whats up everyone, I'm one of the younger guys on here, only 19, bought my 99 GS400 3 months ago. I threw on these rims, tinted the windows (not shown in pic), and did any maintenance that was needed. It was going pretty good, until about a week ago. I was at a light when some dude in a ram backed up into me while he had his wheel turned left. On top of it all, he didn't have reverse lights!

Anyways, I have no-fault insurance, and he didnt lie to the cops by saying I rear-ended him (was expecting that!). I took it to a top-notch collision shop. They estimated $7200 in PARTS & LABOR! HAHAHAH! So AAA considered it totaled. I had 2 options..

1. Take $9900 and say goodbye to my baby
2. Take $6700 and my car the way it sits.

The damage that you don't see includes broken radiator support, broken A/C condenser, and broken passenger side headlight housing.

My dad and I know a guy that can get us cheap paint work, and decent prices on parts. We estimated that with a new hood, fix and repaint same front bumper, aftermarket grill, A/c condenser, top part of radiator support, try to glue headlight housing closed, and paint the two body parts, we're looking at no more than a $1700 fix! Which means I have 5K to put in my pocket. We'll see how it goes.. Just sharing my story!
All u need is a little bondo and yur good to go. jk
Im not going to tell u what to do with your options because its preference, if you love your gs and you cant let it go just fix it for the 1700 and put in a little extra love with the rest of the cash or if you dont want the headache and you think it isnt worth it take the 10k and do as you please.... Vegas any1?
Old 11-25-10, 09:00 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 11-25-10, 11:11 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

It will buff right out.. Lol j/k Take the 10k and run!
Old 11-25-10, 02:32 PM
t78rx8
Driver School Candidate

Hahah, I appreciate all the opinions fellas! I've decided to take the $6700. I will fix the fender as well, and I'm pretty sure this collision shop is legit with their paint work! So they will probably be fading it in to the fenders, and fixing the drivers side fender. Who knows, it may end up looking better than before (gettin rid of that fender/bumper rust/damage)!!! Hoping the paint looks good, besides that I don't see how it can go wrong. I'll take pics after the work is done!
Old 11-25-10, 03:30 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

good choice. i would have taken the money too! most places, when paying by owner, they will give some discount. Plus.. it does not look like it is hard to fix. goodluck with the repairs!!!

definitely use that money and buy a nice coilover suspension for your car!!!
Old 11-25-10, 09:06 PM
Dons98GS
Driver School Candidate

I agree it was a good choice to keep the car & you also have another option. If prices get too high on your repairs, you can always sell it the way it sits. If it has low miles & a clean title. U can easily get at least $3-4k for it, and you would have $11-12k in your pocket. But good luck im sure everything will be fine.
Old 11-27-10, 04:56 PM
t78rx8
Driver School Candidate

$700 in parts, $1100 to the collision shop. The shop said the paint alone costed 'em $250.. so I THINK thats top quality paint?! They are fixing the front bumper and drivers side fender, painting and blending into the fenders, and putting everything together. I'll post pics when I get the car back, hopefully next week!

Quick Reply: MY GS400!! - Before & After Accident