GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dealer Just Painted over Pits in Bumper. Should I Complain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-02, 06:02 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer Just Painted over Pits in Bumper. Should I Complain?

I just spent over a week getting the whole front End of my GS430 painted at the dealer. They even gave me a GS300 free the whole time it was being painted. It looks good except I see they did not fill in a couple of indentation dents in the Bumper the size of nail heads. My insurance covered the paint job and the dealer picked up my $500.00 detuctible. So should I complain and have them fill in these small indentations and paint the bumper again or should I just forget about it because I will get more of them anyway from the road?

Last edited by ceoart; 08-01-02 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-01-02, 06:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default yes

Why pay for p i s s poor work?
Have them redo it at their expense of course.
If they complain, then simply tell them that if they did the job properly the first time, they would not have to do it again.
Old 08-01-02, 06:49 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you leave it alone...

They gonna get so pissed who the hell knows what else they could do to your car that you wont see right away.....its the dealer they know how to screw you if they want...

If its not too much of a big deal...like I said...leave it alone.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-01-02, 07:42 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I would take it back to them and politely explain why you're not completely satisfied. They can then either offer to make it right or tell you that it can't be done. I had the front end of my Acura repainted (damn Florida love bugs!), and there were some rock dings that were just too deep to be filled in with paint. I think the only way to get a brand new looking bumper is to buy a brand new bumper, but maybe the Lexus body shop will do more to make you a happy customer.
Old 08-01-02, 08:32 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

From your description, it sounds like the bumps that are used for the template in installing the front liscense plate. Are there two indentions in the center of the bumper?? If so, they should be there.
Old 08-01-02, 08:35 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Originally posted by UTGS400
From your description, it sounds like the bumps that are used for the template in installing the front liscense plate. Are there two indentions in the center of the bumper?? If so, they should be there.
They are from something small hitting.
Old 08-01-02, 09:22 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default not easy

The issue with painting any part of a vehicle is that every single little tiny ity bity little defect will show through. This is why it is very important to have a qualified person do the painting/bodywork. Most Lexus dealerships have their bodywork/painting done elsewhere. In other words a Lexus employee or dealership employee is the not the one doing the work. It could very well be a 19 year old that has been painting for only 3 months that would care less if he had a Lexus or a Pinto in front of him/her..!!:eek: :eek: Have them redo it the right way and get another free car. Demand it. Hell- it is your car, not theirs.
Old 08-02-02, 05:46 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

See, there is a process involved with painting a vehicle. Prep work, priming, etc... If you just paint over the existing bumper without doing the prep work, thats just asking for the paint to start coming off later. Give it a week, after you've picked up some nicks in the new paint, then take it to one of those car wash deals with the high pressure wands... that paint will be coming off in sheets. I'd either take it back now and ask them to do it right, or wait and do what I suggested above, and then when the paint is flapping in the breeze, take it back and make scene.
Old 08-02-02, 05:52 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

I would go back and complain, but do it in a nice manner. You are NOT driving a beater, and if you have to ask, then you know you should take it back, and have them give you a loaner. If you did not pay for the work, then I can see you not saying anything. BUT if you spend one cent, then you have the right to quality work. Don't let people get over on you, because it can become a very bad habit. IMHO!
Old 08-02-02, 07:30 AM
ceoart
Pole Position

Unhappy

When I called back to tell the Service Manager about the dents in the freshly painted bumper (who in the past has always been so nice to me) now says you are driving an almost two year old GS430. He seemed to be saying I should not expect it to look like new after painting. He told me to call my insurance company which I did. The insurance company said since the dealer is a Geico approved facility they have to paint it to my satisfaction. The dealer already got Geico to write them two more checks above what the Geico estimator already gave them. I called back the service manager and I said to him I appreciate everything he has done for me. He then told me he can't devote his whole life to my car. But then the service manager at Lexus said he would call my claims adjuster up. I am waiting to hear back from them now. I don't want to wear my welcome out at this dealership but I want to get the bumper painted right.

Last edited by ceoart; 08-02-02 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-02-02, 08:28 AM
ceoart
Pole Position

Angry

Originally posted by LexCiting
I would go back and complain, but do it in a nice manner. You are NOT driving a beater, and if you have to ask, then you know you should take it back, and have them give you a loaner. If you did not pay for the work, then I can see you not saying anything. BUT if you spend one cent, then you have the right to quality work. Don't let people get over on you, because it can become a very bad habit. IMHO!
The dealer said they would pay or absorb my deductible for me. But I have leased two GS's in two years. The first one was totaled by the insurance company after my GS400 was flood damaged. I am sure the dealer made plenty of money on that alone! Also I am sure they made out real well on my present lease. So I did not have to pay a penny on this but it should still be done right. I just found out the dealer even got the insurance company to pay an extra check to remove the bumper for painting! So I can't see any excuse for this from them anymore.

Last edited by ceoart; 08-02-02 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-02-02, 08:33 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Ok, if they want to play hardball with you, then play!

Next time you talk to the service manager, ask him for his full name, and then his supervisor's name. Then ask what is the number to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction. I know that they (Lexus Managers) are docked for each complaint on service from their facilities. I would go above his head, and explain to his superviser that you would expect more from Lexus in terms of service AND quality. I would call the Lexus Customer Satisfaction line, and see what they will do for you. A friend got a years worth of oil changes calling, and complaining. Remember YOU are the consumer, and you have the right to quality service. If that doesn't work, at least you tried all your immediate options.
Old 08-02-02, 10:52 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ceoart
Service Manager now says you are driving an almost two year old GS430. He then told me he can't devote his whole life to my car.
Now I'm getting pissed off! If you were polite to him and have always been a good, loyal customer, there is no need for him to treat you like this. The whole "I can't be bothered with you; you're only a customer" attitude gets under my skin. I agree with LexCiting's suggestion. This service manager needs an attitude adjustment...
Old 08-02-02, 11:07 AM
ceoart
Pole Position

Unhappy

The service manager said for me to bring it in Monday to see if they will do anything about it. But my insurance company has already told me they need to fix it to my Satisfaction. Looks like my dealer is going to try and get a new bumper out of it.
Old 08-02-02, 03:37 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

After looking over the pits in the bumper and consulting my car dealer by phone I think they are just the four indentations in the bumper to hold the front License plate on. We do not have a front license plate in Florida. It was kind of over cast outside today so I will make sure that is all I saw yesterday. Maybe I just slide into a parallel universe overnight like they did on the show Sliders. If so I hope next time I slide into a new world where we have a GS700 instead of the GS430.

Last edited by ceoart; 08-02-02 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer Just Painted over Pits in Bumper. Should I Complain?