GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 Phone Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 12:26 AM
cmccallan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS400 Phone Replacement

Hello,

I am a new member with a pristine 1998 GS400 which we bought new and plan to keep FOREVER!

My wife and I truly love this car. I have a question, and I apologize if it has been covered, but I could not find anything relevant in the forum.

This GS400 has the factory NAV system and an old style integrated mobile phone in the console. Phone controls on the steering wheel, radio mute, etc. Has anyone found a way to replace this dinosaur with a current digital cell phone dock, short of replacing the entire NAV and AV system with after-market? Any ideas, experiences or advice will be very greatly appreciated!

Charlie McCallan
Independent IT consultant for small business (post dot-com meltdown)
Old 11-30-10, 07:02 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Modern phones integrate via bluetooth. The system in your car does not. It won't work. You'll need to upgrade to aftermarket.
Old 12-03-10, 04:54 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

There are many aftermarket Bluetooth phone kits from makers such as Nokia, Motorola, Parrot, etc., etc.

I've never seen information about anyone successfully integrating an aftermarket Bluetooth cell phone kit with the 98-00 nav system -- at least not in U.S. models although it's been done on Japanese models.

You might consider removing most components of your Lexus phone kit before it causes problems ... like going into permanent audio system mute mode like so many have. It doesn't hurt to leave the steering wheel phone controller in place. Disassemble the console and unplug (do not cut wires) the handset cradle (you didn't say if your phone is the portable or fixed phone system). When you unplug the phone ECU in the trunk, plug the two large connectors together to complete the circuit.

If you want to connect an aftermarket Bluetooth phone kit so that it mutes your audio system, there "should be" a six pin connector with a mute pin (center front) underneath your center console - at least there is in my 00 LS400 and I am fairly certain that all 98-00 Lexus vehicles (except maybe the ES) had the same factory pre-wire phone harness and connectors.

If you want a "digital cell phone dock" - a cradle to charge your phone - your choices are limited. Bury, a European company, has charging cradles with antenna connections (the Bury System 9) for common phones from Nokia, Apple, Blackberry, HTC and some others -- you can find them sometimes on eBay - they have a "phone base" and interchangeable charging cradles so each family member can have a cradle for his/her own phone. Bury has for some years supplied Lexus/Toyota with the components making up the Bluetooth Complementary kits sold by Toyota and Lexus dealers in the UK and Europe. The cost of a Bury System 9 phone base and one charging cradle is around $140 on eBay.

If you get an aftermarket Bluetooth phone kit, verrify that it works with your cell phone before you buy it. Many aftermarket kits, for example, do not work with iPhone. If you have an iPhone, Bluetooth kits from Parrot may be your best bet.