GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are we wasting our money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10 | 05:18 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

well doesnt hurt too much when its just a little at at time
Old 12-05-10 | 05:41 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Yes, modding is a waste of money from an economical standpoint.

As for me, it is a hobby, among others. I earn money partially to enjoy it, and modding is one way I enjoy my earnings and treat myself.

Its all about balancing your budget and modding within your means. I never spend money on my car I can't afford.

I always pay myself first. Retirement accounts, stocks, mutual funds, and emergency savings fund ALWAYS get priority.

My modding fund is what I have on the side as "discretionary income." If you don't keep a balanced budget, that will be the end of you.

The best way to save money is to hide it from yourself. Make it hard to access. Lock your money into a Roth IRA (early withdrawal penalty) or a 24 month CD.

My rule is mod within reason and always within your budgeted means.
Old 12-05-10 | 06:06 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Modding only sucks when you put $30K into an engine and one day after cleaning all the chrome in the engine bay, you leave a rag in there touching the turbo, go down the road to get a video, go to girlfriends house , then come out side b/c the neighbours kids are screeming your car is on fire.

Just to sum up why it sucks so much.
1. $30K spent on car
2. Cleaning that $30K engine bay
3. Leaving rag so engine can catch fire
4. Have no fire extinguisher (On the to do list when enough money was saved)
5. The fire department being 15mins away from girlfriends house
6. Girlfriends house being in the sticks, so no one has a hose close by
7. Watch your car burn to the ground while you can do nothing but save some CD's
8. Have no insurance (On the to do list when enough money was saved)
9. Forget the Video was in the car
10. Finaly , get invoice for $135 for the rental video and have them explain that rental videos cost more than ones you can buy privately.

All in all, a pretty good day.
Old 12-05-10 | 06:16 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Modding only sucks when you put $30K into an engine and one day after cleaning all the chrome in the engine bay, you leave a rag in there touching the turbo, go down the road to get a video, go to girlfriends house , then come out side b/c the neighbours kids are screeming your car is on fire.

1. $30K spent on car
7. Watch your car burn to the ground while you can do nothing but save some CD's
10. Finaly , get invoice for $135 for the rental video and have them explain that rental videos cost more than ones you can buy privately.

DAAAM that would be a sad sad day for the owner...

I'd say most if not all of us have insurance, but not everyone mentions they modified the car to the insurance company. Which if in an accident will not yield you any money....
Old 12-05-10 | 06:21 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

we all do this knowing that it will never pay us back. for me it is all about trying to be unique. having that one thing that either stands out or makes people look twice. i know i will never get back what i put into the car but it is more about personal gratification. modding my car has become a means of keeping me sane, out of trouble and the best part about all of this are the people that you meet in the process. luckily i've been able to meet people that are involved both in the industry of making/designing/fabricating/ of the parts for our cars or the other people who are modding and the conversations and relationships that you end up building with them.
Old 12-05-10 | 06:27 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
DAAAM that would be a sad sad day for the owner...

I'd say most if not all of us have insurance, but not everyone mentions they modified the car to the insurance company. Which if in an accident will not yield you any money....
Yeah, considering the owner was me when I was 21, it was a pretty interesting day.
Old 12-05-10 | 06:28 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

you may not sell it for more than you have in it, but you can enjoy it for every penny its worth, if you spend wisely.
Old 12-05-10 | 06:42 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

Originally Posted by handoverfi
Ir I could do it all over again I would ONLY buy rims
And suspension and a few other mods. I want money more
Haha $5000 is nothing compared to what you spent on ur car.
Old 12-05-10 | 06:51 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

1. $30K spent on car

Thanks Dave. Sorry to hear about your car but if it makes you feel better. I am kinda glad now that I only spent what I spent on the car. That would suck pretty bad seeing all the money and time you spent going into flames.
Old 12-05-10 | 07:06 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by richie3888
Thanks Dave. Sorry to hear about your car but if it makes you feel better. I am kinda glad now that I only spent what I spent on the car. That would suck pretty bad seeing all the money and time you spent going into flames.
Ya, 5k isn't much on this site, you don't have to kick yourself. Personally, I've spend a little over 10K just on mods, paint, and install alone.

When you figure maintenance, gas, insurance, registration, smog, parking tickets and all that, it makes you want to start taking the bus!!!

Last edited by PushinLEX; 12-05-10 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-05-10 | 07:25 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

i wish i only spenk 5k
Old 12-05-10 | 08:01 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic
i wish i only spenk 5k
x's 2... I wish I didnt spend ANYthing lol. I bought the GS as a DD to my other car :'( should have done it the other way around.
Old 12-05-10 | 08:57 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

If it's a hobby and it keeps you happy, working, sane, and out of jail. Then it's not a total loss.

I have friends that don't mod thier cars, and they blow money on eating out, movies, drinking, weed, clubbing, concerts, internet ****, golf, going to beach weekends, etc.. They are having fun too, but the money is truley gone. At least you still have something to show for the money spent. Even if the car doesn't reflect the resale value.

When time to sell, return it to oem and part out the rest. It's the only way to recoupe a portion of your funds.

Look at Adrian's car. It's the super sickness, totaled upwards of $80,000 all the best stuff, cleanest ride ever. But he couldn't sell it for $30,000, now I think he is parting it out last I saw.. I would have bought it if I had $30k to spend. But I don't, and most regular people don't, and you can't get car loans for vehicles like that. Most people that got it like that are buying more expensive cars like Porsche, AMG, Audi, etc.. So unless you find that one rare big baller that really wants you car and can slap you 30 stacks for it, it's probally not gonna sell.

Unfortunate, but it is what it is.. Don't stress it.
Old 12-05-10 | 09:19 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Worth it? HELLZ to the no! Willing do do it all over again? YES =)
Old 12-05-10 | 09:32 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

1. $30K spent on car

dood, you need a hug. I hope ur girl is cute...

Quick Reply: Are we wasting our money?