GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are we wasting our money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 09:34 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be frugal, buy smart and enjoy... you only live once.
Old 12-05-10, 10:33 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Only $5k? That's not near enough bro. Lol.
Old 12-05-10, 11:09 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

As my dad says, "I would rather be in debt my whole life and enjoy myself, than die with a million dollars, and no memories" or something like that lol
Old 12-06-10, 01:14 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasting money is using drugs!!! Building cars is just therapy for most of us.. So stop bringing up the PAST and look forward to the future, just build your car... Lol
Old 12-06-10, 01:26 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about that. If you die while being in debt, your children will eventually have to pay back that debt (at least here it's like that). I wouldn't want to leave any debt to my children. I'd rather leave them money and/or real estate.

I deliberately limit my "car" budget of approx. US$ 130 per month for mods and maintenance (gas money not included)

I have the car since 7 months & 7K miles. I think I have spent about $650 on maintenance and $300 on mods.

For the moment I'm not looking to do anything fancy. Just 2 - 3 things to make the car look nice and handle better (lowering springs, bushings, strut bar).

If I decide to keep the car for some time, I might get her a complete paint job and leather seats.

Also my significant other is not into modding, or spending any money on the car for that matter...
Old 12-06-10, 01:30 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ yeah thankfully my wife approves with my builds...
Old 12-06-10, 01:37 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Lucky you!
Old 12-06-10, 01:47 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by YviE
I'm not sure about that. If you die while being in debt, your children will eventually have to pay back that debt (at least here it's like that). I wouldn't want to leave any debt to my children. I'd rather leave them money and/or real estate.

I deliberately limit my "car" budget of approx. US$ 130 per month for mods and maintenance (gas money not included)

I have the car since 7 months & 7K miles. I think I have spent about $650 on maintenance and $300 on mods.

For the moment I'm not looking to do anything fancy. Just 2 - 3 things to make the car look nice and handle better (lowering springs, bushings, strut bar).

If I decide to keep the car for some time, I might get her a complete paint job and leather seats.

Also my significant other is not into modding, or spending any money on the car for that matter...
Amen to that! Its all about budgeting. I too do not agree with dieing with debt, thats just a dumb way to teach anyone. In my opinion, if you dont have the money, dont buy! My pops told me, "if you want something, save up for it then buy it" of course that has nothing to do with buying very high dollar items like homes. Everything I've purchased I saved for, hell I even payed cash for the GS. I dont believe in credit cards either... On the sad side though, I wish I did pay for certain things (like the GS) on credit cause now when I on the market for a house, I have no credit All my past cars are from too long ago to effect my credit I had to start all over again.

And also as said above in regards to dudes friends spending their money on vacations food, alcohol, drugs etc... THANK YOU! I'm the same way, I have something to show for EVERY penny that I make and yea, you can always sell them again to get some of it back. You cant resell the alcohol you drank or the the prostitute you banged (well maybe the prostitute) but even then, all the alcohol drank is thrown up an hour later dont even get to enjoy it for more than an hour LoL
Old 12-06-10, 01:57 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

So you need to spend on credit to get a credit rating?? That doesn't make any sense... Having no debt at all should give you the best credit rating.
Old 12-06-10, 02:17 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

That's not the way it is here in the US. France is a civil law country; the US is a common law country.

Here, the decedent's liabilities can eat away at any bequeath or testamentary devise given to any of that decedent's beneficiaries.

But, once the decedent's assets are accounted for by all the creditors, those creditors can't go after the beneficiaries or issue of the decedent for the decedent's deficiency.

So, in the US, if you are inheriting from a deadbeat, the worst you can do is win nothing, but you lose nothing. Not a bad thing.
Old 12-06-10, 02:22 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

I see, thanks for the explanation. Not a bad thing at all!!
Old 12-06-10, 02:29 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Amen to that! Its all about budgeting. I too do not agree with dieing with debt, thats just a dumb way to teach anyone. In my opinion, if you dont have the money, dont buy! My pops told me, "if you want something, save up for it then buy it" of course that has nothing to do with buying very high dollar items like homes. Everything I've purchased I saved for, hell I even payed cash for the GS. I dont believe in credit cards either... On the sad side though, I wish I did pay for certain things (like the GS) on credit cause now when I on the market for a house, I have no credit All my past cars are from too long ago to effect my credit I had to start all over again.

And also as said above in regards to dudes friends spending their money on vacations food, alcohol, drugs etc... THANK YOU! I'm the same way, I have something to show for EVERY penny that I make and yea, you can always sell them again to get some of it back. You cant resell the alcohol you drank or the the prostitute you banged (well maybe the prostitute) but even then, all the alcohol drank is thrown up an hour later dont even get to enjoy it for more than an hour LoL
I definitely hear u guys talkin' right here. I've blown and pissed plenty of money away. And I agree, getting 20 cents on the dollar is better than zero cents on 15 dollar drinks at the club! But then again, you can't be cheap and gotta live life.

But investing in other hobbies, e.g. guns, ammo, and collectors items (think classic Rolex) is a great thing when they either keep their value as commodities or increase in value as collector's items.

So you need to spend on credit to get a credit rating?? That doesn't make any sense... Having no debt at all should give you the best credit rating.
You need to spend money on credit to receive more credit. The rationale is that those with a proven track record of paying off their debts on a consistent and reliable basis have the money and the discipline to be trusted with more credit.
Old 12-06-10, 02:47 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

to put it simple... If you had money to lend, would you be reluctant to lend it to someone who has a proven record of paying it back or would you hesitate to one who has absolutely no record of having payed anything off?

same with the banks. They dont like to give money to someone who has no proof that they will pay it back, well they will up to a certain point (going by income to debt ratio) but it wont be much. The better your credit history (or score) the more money they can trust you with I certainly had the income, but not enough proof that I would actually apply it to bills Kind of insulting though cause I was also taught that bills come first before play. It angers me hearing my friends complain that they cant pay their bills or cant 'have a Christmas' for their kids or whatever, yet they make $5k+ a month, live a with a roommate with a $500 rent and no other bills, yet every evening they post up on their facebook that they're at a bar or a club or taking a trip far away on the weekends... it actually angers me! I tried to **** $5k a month before and theres no damn way!!! LoL

LoL, sorry to the OP we so went on a total different topic! Well not really, we're still talking about wasting money
Old 12-06-10, 06:46 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster

It wasn't supposed to be taken super literal... It was more of a joke lol

Last edited by fordsvtmfl; 12-06-10 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-06-10, 07:58 AM
richie3888
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
It wasn't supposed to be taken super literal... It was more of a joke lol
What you said was true tho. Everybody that reply had truth in it. Let's make a list on spending money! I'll start.

In order

1. Budget your money
2. Pay your bills
3. Buy something for the wifey
4. Put money away for a rainy day or kids college fund
5. Invest some money that will grow in time
6. Save more money
7. Buy something for your car ( to me it's not worth it anymore but I know to you guys, it's worth a lot. Maybe because my new hobby is building ar15/m4 and ak haha.)

Quick Reply: Are we wasting our money?