GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are we wasting our money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 07:23 AM
GS4Beast
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i first picked up my GS last year, i did all the preventative maintenance like timing belt, water pump, all new brakes. Then I bought new wheels and tires, switched out the tails for the 2001+ ones and bought an exhaust. I don't see myself changing much more on her, one day I'm going to get a new set of wheels cause i'm kinda bored of mine. Maybe pick up a new grille as well but i'm pretty happy with her as she is. The next thing i got to do is paint the calipers and sand/paint the rotor hubs which rust so fast.
Old 07-12-12, 10:00 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its better than a coke habit...
Old 02-10-13, 11:10 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

I had to re-read this to stop thinking about re modding my car. Kinda works
Old 02-10-13, 11:35 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by richie3888
Here's a picture of my car.
where did that 5k go on this car?
Old 02-11-13, 09:34 AM
SwayNV
Rookie

^^^ Seriously? .... If he's on coil overs, those and the rims would be close to $5k by themselves if they're good name brands. Then you have the TTE style front lip (about $150.00) , the Kazz Grill ($600.00) , the JDM window visors (anywhere from $100-$300) , clear side markers on the front bumper ($20.00) Looks like aftermarket window tint (anywhere from $100-$300) And he could have a crazy sound system in there. I've thrown some stupid amounts of money into sound systems before. I had a crazy set up in my acura with a JL audio 10w7 I had until recently. He could have $5k in a sound system alone as well.

... Just sayin'
Old 02-11-13, 10:07 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

I found a new hobby. Buying precious metals. Nice hobby where your principle investment undoubtedly retains in value and could grow in value (possibly explosively). And I won't be buried with it when I die like a pirate or Egyptian king; my stack will go to my heirs according to my will in my safety deposit box

www.kitco.com
www.coinflation.com
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

(you're welcome btw )

Modding is addicting. If you have slight OCD like me, you can't stop until your car is "done" in your eyes. That's the exact reason why I don't tat up. After the first tat, I would end up with two sleeves 2 years down the line thereafter (and another 10k + down the drain). Not a very good look in my profession....
Old 02-12-13, 01:08 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
I found a new hobby. Buying precious metals. Nice hobby where your principle investment undoubtedly retains in value and could grow in value (possibly explosively). And I won't be buried with it when I die like a pirate or Egyptian king; my stack will go to my heirs according to my will in my safety deposit box

www.kitco.com
www.coinflation.com
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

(you're welcome btw )

Modding is addicting. If you have slight OCD like me, you can't stop until your car is "done" in your eyes. That's the exact reason why I don't tat up. After the first tat, I would end up with two sleeves 2 years down the line thereafter (and another 10k + down the drain). Not a very good look in my profession....
whoa, are we twins?
Old 02-12-13, 01:31 PM
Longchampe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn $600 for that grill? The car does look good though.

Last edited by Longchampe; 02-13-13 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 06:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
its better than a coke habit...
ehhhhh, maybe......

Originally Posted by SwayNV
^^^ Seriously? .... If he's on coil overs, those and the rims would be close to $5k by themselves if they're good name brands. Then you have the TTE style front lip (about $150.00) , the Kazz Grill ($600.00) , the JDM window visors (anywhere from $100-$300) , clear side markers on the front bumper ($20.00) Looks like aftermarket window tint (anywhere from $100-$300) And he could have a crazy sound system in there. I've thrown some stupid amounts of money into sound systems before. I had a crazy set up in my acura with a JL audio 10w7 I had until recently. He could have $5k in a sound system alone as well.

... Just sayin'
i started to answer that but then i was like why bother. MOST of the kids now-a-days know nothing about fixing a car up properly, its all about cheap,cheap,cheap,cheap parts, imitation this and replica that....they dont think about when that crappy ebay turbo manifold breaks and you have to remove it,re-weld it,and do it all over again and again you could have easily bought the better real version manifold that wont have issues with it. coilovers are junk now-a-days cause real companies like HKS/Toms/Ohlins find it hard to sell quality coilovers for $3-$5k when you can buy no names for $600-$900. the Rota's that break from hitting a pothole that cost you what a real set of Spoons cost when you have to replace the sets over and over from cracking. i would rather buy a quality part ONCE for a more expensive price than a cheap/crappy part 3 times if i cant afford the quality part i would rather save till i can afford it then buy some replica

Originally Posted by Longchampe
Damn $600 for that grill? That's insane to me. It's literally 5 pounds of shaped metal. Is it made of solid silver? That grill should cost like $100 tops. The car does look good though.
thats nothing.....i just sold a grill for $800 (exactly what i paid for it new) and its not even the most expensive. the JP grill is close to $1,400 now.
Old 02-12-13, 07:20 PM
SwayNV
Rookie

Originally Posted by sakataj

i started to answer that but then i was like why bother. MOST of the kids now-a-days know nothing about fixing a car up properly, its all about cheap,cheap,cheap,cheap parts, imitation this and replica that....they dont think about when that crappy ebay turbo manifold breaks and you have to remove it,re-weld it,and do it all over again and again you could have easily bought the better real version manifold that wont have issues with it. coilovers are junk now-a-days cause real companies like HKS/Toms/Ohlins find it hard to sell quality coilovers for $3-$5k when you can buy no names for $600-$900. the Rota's that break from hitting a pothole that cost you what a real set of Spoons cost when you have to replace the sets over and over from cracking. i would rather buy a quality part ONCE for a more expensive price than a cheap/crappy part 3 times if i cant afford the quality part i would rather save till i can afford it then buy some replica
Exactly.... also the difference between cheap suspension and a REAL coil over set up is INSANE.
Old 02-12-13, 07:38 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i use to say "well, its cheaper than crack"

now i say "well, its better for you than crack"
Old 02-12-13, 07:46 PM
Evlc36
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and no - I am justifying dropping considerably more than my Aristo is worth on my single turbo + handling project by comparing it to the European equivalent which I was considering replacing it with - once it is done it will eat the likes of a supercharged E55 or V10 M5 for less money (they have held their value fairly well in NZ), and it will be considerably more reliable (I have had a lot of Mercs - money pits).

Sure it probably won't be as sharp to drive as the M5 (would kill the E55 though in corners) but it is still a very good looking, well equipped mid sized exec sedan, with hopefully around 500whp when done!

Last edited by Evlc36; 02-12-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 10:07 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
whoa, are we twins?
2GS + PM Addiction + Aversion to tats because understands own personality? Man, if you're Asian we must be long lost brothers!!!!

Old 02-13-13, 07:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

What $1000 how many miles you got on your car, car looks good. Although I just had this problem selling mine the value and what you have done does help as long as you have taken care of the car. you wont sell it overnight but there is a buyer that will buy that car. Anyways your car looks good.
Old 02-13-13, 07:41 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent $4,000 on a built head for my 1996 Miata that added about 20whp when paired with the $700 stand-alone ECU and $150 of dyno-tuning time.

One can buy a perfectly good, running 1996 Miata for less than that here in TX. I spent more than the car is worth for 20whp.

In a week or two I'll be dropping my GS300 off with JeffTsai for a NA-T setup aimed at 400whp. I won't even start to mention how much $$$ that will cost.

Anyone who puts money into modifying a car expecting a return on their investment is seriously delusional. That said...the answer to the original question, "Are we wasting our money?", is not an easy one. It depends. Both of my cars bring me hilarious amounts of enjoyment and memories that will last forever. Compound that over the years of ownership and I'd say that the cost of entry was well worth it. Bottom line: if you're thoughtful about how you spend your money with the aim to maximize enjoyment, it will likely be worth it in the end.

Quick Reply: Are we wasting our money?