GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are we wasting our money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 09:48 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
As my dad says, "I would rather be in debt my whole life and enjoy myself, than die with a million dollars, and no memories" or something like that lol
Your "dad" gave you that advice? Really? lol

Anyway, we never get back what we put into it and as long as you understand that it's a hobby and budget accordingly, I don't see anything wrong with it. At the same time, it's very easy to go over the top and go beyond what you originally budgeted for in terms of money, time, and energy. I think a lot of guys in the car hobby have a bit of OCD as well. People with a lot of attention to detail, like many of us who give a great deal of attention to detail are often plagued with this too, lol.

Most people have some sort of a hobby. I know people that are obsessed with home improvement projects, some with wrist watches, some with sports, some with shopping, some with drugs & alcohol, some with sex, some with fitness. We all have differing personalities and differing chemical compositions. It can all be great if it's budgeted and done in moderation without affecting life's important things like family, career, health, etc.

My big gripe with the car hobby is that it is so intensive in terms of cost, time, and energy, omg. As I get older, I am less and less willing to spend my weekends in the garage spinning wrenches. And if I ranked those, it's the time that bothers me the most. I work hard during the week, so weekends are time for friends, family, and rest. Not laying on a cold garage floor (even though I did that probably at least every other weekend for like 10yrs, lol)

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 02-13-13 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-13-13, 10:02 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
My big gripe with the car hobby is that it is so intensive in terms of cost, time, and energy, omg. As I get older, I am less and less willing to spend my weekends in the garage spinning wrenches. And if I ranked those, it's the time that bothers me the most. I work hard during the week, so weekends are time for friends, family, and rest. Not laying on a cold garage floor (even though I did that probably at least every other weekend for like 10yrs, lol)
It sounds like you and I are in similar life phases. Fortunately, as we get older our ability to throw money at the hobby tends to increase. I find I'm paying people to do work I'd have happily done myself a few years ago just so I can relax in the evenings/weekends.

I still like to turn a wrench on occasion. But I don't have the desire to do it nearly as often as I used to. A few years ago I'd be sad if I didn't have a reason to spend a few hours in the garage on any given weekend. Now it seems I find reasons to put off those tasks as much as possible. Fortunately, both of my cars are about to be in 100% condition soon so I'll just have to worry about which one I want to take to a meet or on a date with my wife.
Old 02-13-13, 10:17 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
It sounds like you and I are in similar life phases. Fortunately, as we get older our ability to throw money at the hobby tends to increase. I find I'm paying people to do work I'd have happily done myself a few years ago just so I can relax in the evenings/weekends.

I still like to turn a wrench on occasion. But I don't have the desire to do it nearly as often as I used to. A few years ago I'd be sad if I didn't have a reason to spend a few hours in the garage on any given weekend. Now it seems I find reasons to put off those tasks as much as possible. Fortunately, both of my cars are about to be in 100% condition soon so I'll just have to worry about which one I want to take to a meet or on a date with my wife.
Absolutely.

However, I will say this. With my hint of automotive OCD, I never am completely happy with other people's work. Far too many mechanics have forgot to tighten things, left a ding here and there, not cleaned parts they took off and reinstalled, etc. Every mechanic I ever went to always seems to be in such a hurry too.
Old 02-13-13, 01:53 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Your "dad" gave you that advice? Really? lol

Anyway, we never get back what we put into it and as long as you understand that it's a hobby and budget accordingly, I don't see anything wrong with it. At the same time, it's very easy to go over the top and go beyond what you originally budgeted for in terms of money, time, and energy. I think a lot of guys in the car hobby have a bit of OCD as well. People with a lot of attention to detail, like many of us who give a great deal of attention to detail are often plagued with this too, lol.

Most people have some sort of a hobby. I know people that are obsessed with home improvement projects, some with wrist watches, some with sports, some with shopping, some with drugs & alcohol, some with sex, some with fitness. We all have differing personalities and differing chemical compositions. It can all be great if it's budgeted and done in moderation without affecting life's important things like family, career, health, etc.

Well stated.