GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How the heck do you "wire" this? Coolant sensor!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 10:06 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the help AshburnM3. I appreciate your help and the links on this.

UPDATE..........

Just had a friend look at his car. His looks just like what AshburnM3 has posted links to and what is highlighted in yellow.

Whats strange is the parts catalog picture is IDENTICLE to what I received. Yet NOT what belongs on the car.

Now seeing what the dealer showed me, Its either unfinished or its a PLUG and not a sensor at all. yet its the correct part number according to the Lexus parts catalogs.

I need to get the correct sensor. I PM'd Darol @ SEWELL
Old 12-28-10, 10:11 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, the 2 pin plug is black in color, i just looked that up in here also under electrical wiring diagram.
http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html
Old 12-28-10, 10:24 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

low and behold....Auto Zone shows the correct looking sensor for the 98-05 GS300

I will pick one of these up tmw and test it out!

Part # SU4320

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=233513_0_0_
Old 12-28-10, 10:26 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AshburnM3
btw, the 2 pin plug is black in color, i just looked that up in here also under electrical wiring diagram.
http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html
awesome. found it and also the part number!

T H A N K S

W3 & 90980-10736

Last edited by AMSMIKE; 12-28-10 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-29-10, 10:04 AM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

ANOTHER UPDATE...

Just heard back from the "master tech" at the local lexus dealer. He claims its the correct part in my picture i took above. He says it uses a plug that looks like a cap and snaps on. This is STRICTLY for the Gauge Cluster water temp.

AshburnM3 pointed me to the temp sensor on the head, that is the same one on AutoZone. THAT sensor is for the E.F.I temp sensor. That is STRICTLY to tell the computer/ecu/pcm the water temp.

Now back to square one....That is correct sensor....Who can locate it on their engine and take a pic of the plug for me?????
Old 12-29-10, 01:40 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Well according to the diagram you gave us... it's connected on the top right hand corner of the radiator.
Old 12-29-10, 01:50 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Well according to the diagram you gave us... it's connected on the top right hand corner of the radiator.
that is the lexus parts diagram and the ONLY diagram that shows the acual part I need. They are never 100% accurate to where they go. It also shows the fan switch in the radiator. That is Indeed on the thermostat housing. also shows the knock sensor in the intake manifold. That is really on the middle of the block.

I also spoke to 2 dealers that have this part in stock and they look the same. Yet no one can tell me what the clip/harness/plug is supposed to look like and how it fits over the brass sensor

Last edited by AMSMIKE; 12-29-10 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-29-10, 02:31 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

mike, have you tried PM rob (flat black gs) who had the first swap from DGR? im assuming they hooked his up and he could probably share some incite on this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fun-pics.html
Old 12-29-10, 02:50 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
mike, have you tried PM rob (flat black gs) who had the first swap from DGR? im assuming they hooked his up and he could probably share some incite on this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fun-pics.html
Daniel @ DGR ordered a sensor from lexus for an IS300 they did the swap. IS & GS use the same part # 83420-30020) He told me what it looks like and was stumped. So I then ordered the sensor from my lexus dealer to see what they got (my picts above). SAME SENSOR.

I have talked to so many people and have done a lot of research before I posted this thread.

I have yet to find anyone who can locate this sensor on their engine and tell me what the connector looks like. If you ask me, the sensor looks incomplete. But for Daniel, my dealer, a dealer in SF and a dealer in New Jersey to all have the same part number which is correct to have the same looking sensor...one would think they are all correct. But I cannot get a pic of the connector and its driving me nuts!

a little more explanation. there are 3 temp sensors on the 98-05 GS300.

ECT Fan Switch Sensor - 2 wire (controls fans on/off) - Dont need this! (located after t-stat)
ECT Temp Sensor EFI - 2 wire (send the temp to the ECU) - Dont need this! (located in the head)
ECT Temp Sensor Gauge - 1 wire (send temp signal to Gauge cluster) this is what i have and need...i need to know what the plug looks like

Its frusterating when I know what info I need, yet cant find anyone else who unerstands. Now I am kicking myself for selling my stock motor/harness MONTHS ago!!!!
Old 12-29-10, 02:56 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
Daniel @ DGR ordered a sensor from lexus for an IS300 they did the swap. IS & GS use the same part # 83420-30020) He told me what it looks like and was stumped. So I then ordered the sensor from my lexus dealer to see what they got (my picts above). SAME SENSOR.
so if DGR used the same sensor, how did daniel @ DGR hook it up? or what is he saying about how to hook it up?
Old 12-29-10, 02:57 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

so if DGR used the same sensor, how did daniel @ DGR hook it up? or what is he saying about how to hook it up?
they never got it working on any swap. thats why he still has the sensor laying around.

Thats why I am trying to find the answer, because I want my stock temp gauge to work!
Old 12-29-10, 03:02 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
they never got it working on any swap. thats why he still has the sensor laying around.
AHHHHHHHHH ok now that makes sense to me...

GL mike
Old 12-29-10, 03:06 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

AHHHHHHHHH ok now that makes sense to me...

GL mike
thanks. Seriously hope someone has a motor laying around or a harness they can lookn at for me and help me out!
Old 12-29-10, 06:25 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Under the manifold just rear of the other coolant sensor. Pics taken on a running/working '03 GS300.. Doubt this helps much...
Old 12-29-10, 06:35 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ that looks just like what he ordered on page 1. its a plug?

Quick Reply: How the heck do you "wire" this? Coolant sensor!