GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I can't keep my lips shut!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-02, 09:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts
Angry I can't keep my lips shut!!!

Some of you may remember an encounter my girlfriend had with my GS when I had the Greddy front lip on. She went over some railroad tracks and somehow managed to catch the lip on them and tore a huge chunk out of it.

OK, so I pulled that off, eventually put on a smaller TTE Lip. The bodyshop had trouble getting it to fit initially, but a lot of super epoxy and some heat lamps and it was ON permanently.

Everythings going well... my new wheels came in and I'm getting them on tomorrow, detail is scheduled for Saturday and I'm thinking I'll take some pics afterward. All is right with my automotive world...

I went to the airport to pick someone up (Dex actually) and on my way home a HUGE-*** racoon runs out into the road right in front of me. I'm on a curve in a two lane road with steep ditches on each side and I've got no choice but to hit it. I hear a big crack as it bounces off the front and I push the poor thing along for a few yards before it moves off to the side. I'm almost stopped at this point (no one behind me) and since the beast is still moving I decide to let it go without stopping (I just heard a rabies segment on NPR today).

A short while later I get home and don't initially see any damage. My GF comes out with a flashlight and points out the lip is now 50% separated from the factory front spoiler. It looks like just separation, but I can't see underneath yet.

I pulled some black shoestrings out of some old dress shoes and tied a couple of loops on the weak side to try and shore it up a bit.

Oh well... I was thinking about getting my hood and bumper painted anyway, maybe this is Mother Nature's way to make that happen sooner. Or (hopefully) another batch of super-adhesive will put it back.
Attached Thumbnails I can't keep my lips shut!!!-rac-bastard1.jpg  
Old 08-08-02, 09:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

second pic, a little blurry.
Attached Thumbnails I can't keep my lips shut!!!-rac-bastard2.jpg  
Old 08-08-02, 09:26 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG...really sorry to see that dave..:eek:
Old 08-08-02, 09:30 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hey Dave

Sorry to hear that man. Just when you think everything is going your way, and life is great, something always jump out at you to bring you back to reality. Keep up the good work though, those new shoes for your baby are really tight!!
Old 08-08-02, 09:34 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sheesh Dave you and lips aren't getting along too well.. Just make Dex pay to fix it for you.. LOL

You're the reason why I ordered the TTE lip in the first place for the GS because I was afraid of smashing it like how your Greddy lip got hit..

Could of been worse I guess..
Old 08-08-02, 09:40 PM
RacingAristo

Not sure if you wanna do this but you could put 2 black screws on the front lip to secure it. Yes, it is a not-so-good solution. I'd rather just another lip/bumper.
Old 08-08-02, 09:45 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"maybe this is Mother Nature's way to" ... tell you not to put a front lip spioler and get a full bumper replacement. Or just don't put a spoiler at all. Just kidding. Sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out for you.

MAC
Old 08-08-02, 09:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Not sure if you wanna do this but you could put 2 black screws on the front lip to secure it. Yes, it is a not-so-good solution. I'd rather just another lip/bumper.
Might not be a bad interim solution if I do just get a replacement (custom) front bumper...hmmm. hadn't thought of that.
Old 08-09-02, 07:03 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Geez, you can't catch a break. Good luck with the fix.
Old 08-09-02, 08:29 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

Congrads, I on your new rims, they look very sweet. Make sure you post some pictures with the supra brake kit and rims when you are all done. I always liked how the TTE lip spoiler and L-tuned side skirts looked on your car, very clean and not too over the top. I also just got the TTE lip spoiler and L-tuned side skirts installed on my car. The TTE lip spoiler did not fit perfectly as you stated earlier. I am a stickler for details so I returned it to the body shop, and they also used a the body shop glue vs. the crap they supply you with and I will be hopefully picking up the car tonight.

Now, I know what will happen and what my car will look like if I ever hit a racoon

As long as you are okay, I guess this is a blessing in disguise getting a new painted bumper and repainting the hood as I remember a picture you had with a lot of stone chips on the front of your hood. You car is gonna be reborn again with the rims, brakes and new paint.
Old 08-09-02, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Dude, could have been worse, but your not a LIP FRIENDLY guys that is all.....

Your wheels looks awesome, can't wait for pics!
Old 08-09-02, 04:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude, could have been worse, but your not a LIP FRIENDLY guys that is all.....

Your wheels looks awesome, can't wait for pics!
Big front lip... and now HUGE lips on his rims...

Dave must be a big fan of Angelina Jolie
Old 08-09-02, 05:52 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Your lucky it was not a deer! Then your whole car would have been totaled. :eek:
Old 08-10-02, 07:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

OK... the saga continues. I replaced the shoestrings I had holding the lip on with black zip ties that won't show so much. Noticed the little grill pieces I was attaching it to were already pulled away on top (probably courtesy of Ricky racoon). More reason to replace the whole thing now.

But the weird thing - I had a detailer lined up to come this AM and I wanted to give a once over to make sure the lip was secure enough for a wash. I was checking the black liner right inside the wheel well (mine pops out every now and then and I need to push it back in) and I noticed what looked like a tiny HAND sticking out. Of course I thought that can't be - it's too small it must be a stick or something. I look in the area behind the liner - a bit trepadaciously - and I see this 'hand' belongs to a little frog about two inches long that's stuck up in there. So now I get to fish this nasty little dead frog out of the inside of my car.

Geez when is this going to end. It's like I'm caught up in some evil nature show. What, does my GS look like Noah's Ark or something? I guess I could get Angelina Jolie to help guard it now that she's available .

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-10-02 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-10-02, 08:58 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
OK... the saga continues. I replaced the shoestrings I had holding the lip on with black zip ties that won't show so much. Noticed the little grill pieces I was attaching it to were already pulled away on top (probably courtesy of Ricky racoon). More reason to replace the whole thing now.

But the weird thing - I had a detailer lined up to come this AM and I wanted to give a once over to make sure the lip was secure enough for a wash. I was checking the black liner right inside the wheel well (mine pops out every now and then and I need to push it back in) and I noticed what looked like a tiny HAND sticking out. Of course I thought that can't be - it's too small it must be a stick or something. I look in the area behind the liner - a bit trepadaciously - and I see this 'hand' belongs to a little frog about two inches long that's stuck up in there. So now I get to fish this nasty little dead frog out of the inside of my car.

Geez when is this going to end. It's like I'm caught up in some evil nature show. What, does my GS look like Noah's Ark or something? I guess I could get Angelina Jolie to help guard it now that she's available .
sorry to hear about that frog thats pretty damn nasty man... ewww

im sure you'll get you lip fixed drill screws in for sure!

Quick Reply: I can't keep my lips shut!!!