GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sigh,This Is Getting Old

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 12:58 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Sigh,This Is Getting Old

so before making this i searched but all i came up was this for info on the fogs getting water or condensation in them

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ogging-up.html

not to mention numerous threads bout water getting into the headlight which correct me if im wrong, is caused by the drain being clogged up right?

anyways i replaced a set of my fogs about 2 months ago when GILLEXUS had a BNIB set for cheap in the classifieds and cause i had been looking for a new/used passenger one after the yellow part cracked off of it...well today when i went to the local gas station by my work i noticed one of my brand new fogs was whitish/yellowish again....got out of the car and looked at it again noticed water in it. so last time and im assuming this time what happened is water got into the fog light and since the HID bulb is so hot, when water sat on the yellow capsule it cracked off the fog.

is there anything i can do besides removing the HID's to avoid this happening again? i checked the drains on these new ones (especially since i got stuck in the mud at the Bowl game this weekend)they are clear but there is about 1/2" of water in JUST this fog both rain gaurds are missing from the fenders but as i said no water is in the other one at all. im not gonna keep going through this month after month, its already gotten old to me. push come to shove i may remove both yellow capsules and just ride some clear ones but i dont wanna i liked my yellow fogs.

Last edited by sakataj; 09-16-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-03-11, 01:31 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perhaps your HID bulbs are not sealing 100% in the fog light and allowing moisture inside. This does happen if the O-Ring is not doing its job and sealing the entrance where the bulb base sits.
Old 01-03-11, 01:35 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

It's because you live in Tennessee.
Old 01-03-11, 01:39 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

LOL, you are not the only one. My driver's side is leaking also. But that only happens when I wash the car. So I dont mind cuz it just dries the next day. Basically, the seal is dying out. Oh well.
Old 01-03-11, 02:29 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
perhaps your HID bulbs are not sealing 100% in the fog light and allowing moisture inside. This does happen if the O-Ring is not doing its job and sealing the entrance where the bulb base sits.
thats possible...but why would it do it ONLY on one side and to 3 different fog lights?

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
It's because you live in Tennessee.
shut up parker

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
LOL, you are not the only one. My driver's side is leaking also. But that only happens when I wash the car. So I dont mind cuz it just dries the next day. Basically, the seal is dying out. Oh well.
yeah thats all good john and i wouldnt sweat it if that was happened but as i said john in 2 consecutive fogs the yellow capsule has now broken out. this set was only 2 months old and they were BRAND NEW before that
Old 01-03-11, 02:53 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
thats possible...but why would it do it ONLY on one side and to 3 different fog lights?
that just proves my point. all 3 fog lights were on the same side....which used the same HID bulb

The o-ring is worn out on your HID bulb or its deformed and not sealing.

I suggest putting in a reg set of bulbs and see if that solves your problem.
Old 01-03-11, 03:04 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

shut up parker
lol.
Old 01-03-11, 05:19 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

shut up parker

yeah thats all good john and i wouldnt sweat it if that was happened but as i said john in 2 consecutive fogs the yellow capsule has now broken out. this set was only 2 months old and they were BRAND NEW before that
WOWzers your bulb breaks? That sucks. Isolate the problem by taking the fogs out and spray water where you think it could be leaking.
Old 01-04-11, 10:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
that just proves my point. all 3 fog lights were on the same side....which used the same HID bulb

The o-ring is worn out on your HID bulb or its deformed and not sealing.

I suggest putting in a reg set of bulbs and see if that solves your problem.
well that would be the case IF i hadnt changed HIDS when i put in the new fogs. so those seals should have been new also so i dunno man. its frustrating....least i got my airbag light to go away (note to self dont ziptie airbag harness's whether they in the way or not)

WOWzers your bulb breaks? That sucks. Isolate the problem by taking the fogs out and spray water where you think it could be leaking.
yes john my yellow capsule broke on 2 sets like i said INCLUDING my brand new ones

sorry pics are kind of large....
here are the pics notice the driver side has NO water in but the passenger side STILL has water in and you can see the chunks of my yellow capsule in it

Old 10-20-11, 12:52 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so same foglight which AGAIN was NIB last november, now it has had a projector retro from a JDM IS (Alteeza) and brand new fog light bulbs but yet im STILL getting water into it.

i think im gonna re-silicon them around the sides and check the drain but i dont think thats where its coming in from and im gonna try something similar to the balloon trick he did in this thread, but anyone else have any ideas if that doesnt work?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...g-mini-h1.html

Last edited by sakataj; 10-20-11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 01:11 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never seen that happen but i'll def look out for it
Old 10-20-11, 01:32 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Its definitely the seals. My driver side gets wet when i wash my car
Old 10-20-11, 01:36 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of Curiosity what brand HID are you using?tried different brands?I bought my hids from v-leds and when installing them into the fogs I had to push pretty hard to twist and lock the bulb? do you get the same results?
Old 10-20-11, 01:48 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
I've never seen that happen but i'll def look out for it
yeah its not common...

Its definitely the seals. My driver side gets wet when i wash my car
which one John? the one on the back of the fog light? when they were purchased (as i said before) they were brand new so the NIB ones had bad seals AND NOW i have projectors in their so they have new seals also so which seals are you saying it is.........?

Originally Posted by RLGS300
Out of Curiosity what brand HID are you using?tried different brands?I bought my hids from v-leds and when installing them into the fogs I had to push pretty hard to twist and lock the bulb? do you get the same results?
i have used 3 different brands ALL with the same results....didnt have to push terribly hard.
Old 10-20-11, 01:59 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

The seal from the glass to the fogs. Thats the only possible place

Quick Reply: Sigh,This Is Getting Old