GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What a poor representation of a Lexus....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-02, 01:43 PM
Spartan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a poor representation of a Lexus....

I just read the September write up in Car and Driver on the Supercar Shootout. They had an IS300 in there (turbo) tuned by Peter Farrell. This thing blew up on him on the first run of the day because of a faulty fuel injector leaning out one of the cylinders and burning a hole in one of the pistons. Ouch!!
Where has this guy been on Club Lexus?
I have never heard of him.
I think Car and Driver should have call Swift Racing and they should have gotten a car with the new TT or an existing SC car (Mo's preferably). Then the Lexus brand would have been better represented in my opinion. The IS300 finished 14/15th with a DNF next to the name....just doesn't make it look too good.
Does this Peter Farrell guy do GS tuning?
Ohh well.....just an FYI.
Thanks guys.
MIKE
Old 08-09-02, 01:52 PM
JYOO

Yeah man, how could you make a idiot mistake like that and be considered a " SUPER TUNER" what a dumb azz *****!
Yeah let a real Lexus representa represent!
Old 08-09-02, 02:04 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I read that same article. I was first surprised that they even included the IS300 against these high end cars ... like the hennesy viper, LT corvertte. If you think about it the IS300 should of never been included with these meat eaters. These cars stock could rip you a new *** h***, but than they are tuned by the best aftermarket tuners that can shread you too pieces.

I agree, if they were going to include a lexus it should of been MO's GS400:
With over 700HP this is the first and fastest Street Legal Supercharged Lexus GS400 Sedan. All Luxury comfort Items are intact.
The car is capable of 0-60mph in under 4 seconds and 1/4mi. ET of 12.0sec. @ 117.6mph. the 800

http://www.swiftracing.com/index2.html
Old 08-09-02, 03:01 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DrewGS4

I agree, if they were going to include a lexus it should of been MO's GS400:
With over 700HP this is the first and fastest Street Legal Supercharged Lexus GS400 Sedan. All Luxury comfort Items are intact.
The car is capable of 0-60mph in under 4 seconds and 1/4mi. ET of 12.0sec. @ 117.6mph. the 800
Do we even know if this car exists/runs anymore? I have not seen nor heard about it for over a year now.. Anybody know the status of this GS4???

Brent
Old 08-09-02, 03:36 PM
Zarlov
Driver School Candidate

Default Peter Farrell

Peter Farrell is a BIG RX-7 tuner. I've never heard of him even touching another car, let alone a Lexus. He had the first 3 rotar engine in an RX-7 and has "super" tuned a lot of race RX-7s. A guy I met at a car show had his RX-7 (3rd gen) tuned by PF. He paid about $22,000 to have his RX-7 turned into a 650HP (at the wheels) monster. I've heard the guy is a real ***** but knows his RX-7s. He's located in Manassas VA. Just FYI.

-Zarlov
Old 08-09-02, 05:18 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JYOO
Yeah man, how could you make a idiot mistake like that and be considered a " SUPER TUNER" what a dumb azz *****!
Not sure that a "faulty" injector qualifies as "making an idiot mistake" or being a "dumb azz *****". Faulty usually means something is bad or going bad. Sometimes you discover these things before something breaks, and sometimes after.
As Zarlov mentioned, Peter Farrell is a highly respected tuner in the rotary world, and if he puts his mind to it, might become one in the Lexus world as well.
Old 08-09-02, 05:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default agree

Peter is very respected in the RX7 crowd. To have him cross over to the Lexus side is a blessing for all of us even though this event was less thatn stellar. Believe me, Peter can put out stuff that no current Lexus tuner could even dream about at the moment. If he wanted to. Give him a chance and welcome him aboard. THe mere fact that a Lexus IS300 went up against these supercars gives the Lexus some kudos, though it still broke down.
Old 08-10-02, 02:29 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know who was last, the lexus wasn't?
Old 08-10-02, 08:49 AM
Spartan
Driver

Default In last place...

was an AWD sonoma.....I dont have the article here...but he blew up as well...his 1/4 mile time was listed at 10.6 or something insane like that.

Guys...I really didnt mean to flam PF....but I have never heard of him. You would think that this board would have heard of a car like that in the works. And you would also think that Car and Driver would know about Swift Racing and just give them a chance to get a car out there. Like others said....the top cars there would have shreaded the IS300 even if it ran.....take a look...they were monsters.
Later.
MIKE
Old 08-10-02, 06:14 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Peter Farrell

The reason Peter was driving Is300 is that it is his fun daily driver that was tricked & turboed by some place in Florida or cali. I can't remember exactly. That car was with those other monster cars cus it has massive quantities of power like 450 @rears. I agree that SRT should have been there instead.

Hey Bliu. I was at SRT Tue&Wed. saw MO's black GS & it is currently being modded from stage 5.5 SC to ? Guess what?
That's right (GS4TT):eek: 800 to 1000 HP . NO JOKE!
Hey by the way let me tell U guys a little secret.
2 test mules are complete & one car I saw was gutted with engine& tranny out gettin TT. I also saw another right next to it in the process of TT. I saw the IS300 SRT Turbo too. very nice!

Another GS3 was there & guess what? Yes Turbo. The new power unit of choice is Turbo because they deliever more power at the bottom & top end.

Turbo this & Turbo that. The answer is Turbo. They also happen to be rebuilding the Tranny's for Heavy-Duty use.

I have to start saving $$$
Paul
Old 08-10-02, 11:06 PM
Shoofin'TL
Driver School Candidate

On another Message Board(RX7), I did read a crazy story about a lawsuit between a fforum member ad Peter Farrell. Apparently, he screwed the customer w/o vaseline, and I believe he(the customer) won the lawsuit. PF claimed to have done work on the car, when he in-fact did nothing to it and kept taking the guys money and car for months at a time..
Ed
Old 08-11-02, 05:13 AM
robbsneak
Pole Position

Default for rizzle, brother,...

Originally posted by JYOO

you hit the nail on the head!
Old 08-11-02, 11:44 PM
logicbomb
Driver School Candidate

not only that, he switched the guys engine with an older one out of his own car (PF).
Old 08-12-02, 11:45 AM
JYOO

Thumbs down

He'll probably try to put that blown IS motor in another customers car too, haha.