GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Interior LED swap problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 01:19 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior LED swap problem

Hey everyone. I recently purchased LED lights from V-LEDS for my interior and they came today. I changed out mostly every bulb in the interior excluding the dash/center console lights and vanity lights on the mirrors.

Everything went smoothly except for my rear driver side puddle door. I took out the original bulb in the door and then put the new LED in and it lit up for about a second and then went out. Confused at this point I thought maybe the bulb went bad quickly and put the original back in to see if that one worked. It did not. Afterwards, I tried both the original bulb and the new LED in the other rear door to see if the bulbs work and they both do.

Every light I replaced works except for the rear driver side puddle door. Bulbs that I know work won't work in it. I don't know whether or not this is a fuse issue but my inclination is that it is not because the other interior lights work along with the other electronics which are governed by the same fuse according to my manual.

Any ideas? Is this an electrical problem with the wiring to the door or something of the sort?

Also, I'll apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I did three separate searches for this and most of them pointed to blown fuses but in cases where ALL of the interior lights stopped working. If all of my interior lights stop working tonight then I'll know the answer, but having them all on for about a period of five minutes makes me think it is not a fuse issue.

Thank you for all the help and I'll get some pictures up of the swap as soon as I can.
Old 01-06-11, 01:47 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

It could be a wiring issue or a problem with the door switch.

When you open the door does the reading/map light come on? Also does the "Door Ajar" light up in the dash? If not then I would test the switch.

If they do work fine then I would open the door panel and test the connector that plugs into the back of the puddle lamp for voltage and ground with the door open. This will tell you if its the lamp or wiring somewhere else.
Old 01-06-11, 01:58 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigmatic
Hey everyone. I recently purchased LED lights from V-LEDS for my interior and they came today. I changed out mostly every bulb in the interior excluding the dash/center console lights and vanity lights on the mirrors.

Everything went smoothly except for my rear driver side puddle door. I took out the original bulb in the door and then put the new LED in and it lit up for about a second and then went out. Confused at this point I thought maybe the bulb went bad quickly and put the original back in to see if that one worked. It did not. Afterwards, I tried both the original bulb and the new LED in the other rear door to see if the bulbs work and they both do.

Every light I replaced works except for the rear driver side puddle door. Bulbs that I know work won't work in it. I don't know whether or not this is a fuse issue but my inclination is that it is not because the other interior lights work along with the other electronics which are governed by the same fuse according to my manual.

Any ideas? Is this an electrical problem with the wiring to the door or something of the sort?

Also, I'll apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I did three separate searches for this and most of them pointed to blown fuses but in cases where ALL of the interior lights stopped working. If all of my interior lights stop working tonight then I'll know the answer, but having them all on for about a period of five minutes makes me think it is not a fuse issue.

Thank you for all the help and I'll get some pictures up of the swap as soon as I can.
thi sis so wierd, i just replaced all interior light to leds last week and the same thing happened to me. the rear driversside puddle light doenst work with either bulb (oem, led) ? wierd. i just left it figuring that it would cost more to fix tan its actually worth.
Old 01-06-11, 02:01 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
It could be a wiring issue or a problem with the door switch.

When you open the door does the reading/map light come on? Also does the "Door Ajar" light up in the dash? If not then I would test the switch.

If they do work fine then I would open the door panel and test the connector that plugs into the back of the puddle lamp for voltage and ground with the door open. This will tell you if its the lamp or wiring somewhere else.
just read this as i posted. all other lights (map, door, oh ***** handle) come on. will check for power on the back of the lamp.
Old 01-06-11, 02:01 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

When I open the door the map/reading light does come on but the door ajar light on the dash does not.

I suppose this is a problem with the switch then. Would this explain why the light won't work?
Old 01-06-11, 03:25 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

When I open the door the map/reading light does come on but the door ajar light on the dash does not.

I suppose this is a problem with the switch then. Would this explain why the light won't work?
i had a problem like that also but what I found was that the metal piece that makes contact was bent a lil in the wrong direction. Try to line it up straight and see if that helps. I had the same thing happen where it comes on for a sec and turns off
Old 01-06-11, 10:08 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

Originally Posted by OT0814
i had a problem like that also but what I found was that the metal piece that makes contact was bent a lil in the wrong direction. Try to line it up straight and see if that helps. I had the same thing happen where it comes on for a sec and turns off
The metal piece on the bulb or on the outlet where I put the bulb in?

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to correct a potentially broken door switch?
Old 01-06-11, 10:16 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the door switch is built into the latch, so it's not easily accessible.
Old 01-07-11, 09:05 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Some more info HERE.
Old 01-07-11, 12:07 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

The metal piece on the bulb or on the outlet where I put the bulb in?

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to correct a potentially broken door switch?
the metal piece on the bulb.... btw post number 100 lol wooooo
Old 01-07-11, 01:12 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Some more info HERE.

I definetly think this is your issue
Old 01-07-11, 02:18 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

Thanks everyone. We're getting a storm over here on the east coast tonight but this weekend or the beginning of next week I'm going to try to fix it.