GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Attention - Audi owner looking to switch to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 10:37 AM
pandino
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
I sort of agree but I've always found the materials found in Lexus cars to be a cut above those found in toyotas. The feature content is similar but I have found that many of the materials found in a Toyota are very hard and unyielding to the touch, which males for a very downmarket feel. The biggest difference I find between Toyota and Lexus is the platform. When it comes to handling, there is a distinctive difference between a front-wheel-drive platform (Toyota) and a rear-wheel-drive platform (Lexus). Lexus also puts a priority on noise control.
I know you didn't want yo travel but I did a quick search locally on Craigslist (Chicago) and I found a few GS430's for sale. I don't know your price range but the four that I found range from $8800 to $13,800 depending on mileage. I hope I'm not violating any rules by doing this...if so, I apologize in advance. No intentions other than trying to help out.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2780279846.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2774198765.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ctd/2774849935.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2752150712.html
Old 01-03-12, 10:52 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how many audi drivers regret buying them.......
Old 01-03-12, 11:12 AM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

I'd like to keep the price below $7000 and mileage under 150k or under 160k if it is in excellent condition.

I appreciate the help Pandino, the members of this forum have been some of the finest I have ever had the pleasure to associate with. Chicago is a very long drive for me. I have been searching listings within a 700 mile radius because I know I can get back home in 12-14 hours. I understand that once a car passes the 100k mile mark, parts are on their last leg and will need replacing. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I have very knowledgeable family members to help out if needed. My local Lexus dealer is fabulous! I am very impressed with their service in every way. Prices are reasonable compared to my experience with Audi and Saab vehicles and I have budgeted ($300-$400) to have money aside for any immediate repairs needed.
Old 01-03-12, 11:32 AM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

RamAirRckt, I like your taste. The D2 platform of the A8 is one of the most gorgeous and well proportioned cars I have ever seen. I considered buying one myself but you already mentioned the reasons for staying away unless your wallet is nice and cushy. The D3 A8s are beautiful also but they share many of the same downfalls the D2 did, plus the air suspension having a high failure rate. At $1000 a corner, I wouldn't walk, I would run away.

Audis are great cars if you are looking for flawless interior appointments, all weather traction, and a car that will provide a fun commute while also impressing the neighbors. Audis are not reliable. As with any car, preventative maintenance is the name of the game. But with Audi/VW, or any car in which sensors are the life blood, things that shouldn't break will break and it will hurt when it does. I made good friends with my Audi mechanic because I would see him almost on a weekly basis. One day I was venting about my frustrations with my A4 and he said if you want a fun German car, buy a BMW. In his considerable experience with both Audi and BMW, BMWs have far less problems due to electrical glitches and faulty sensors than any other German make offered in the United States. Apparently BMW computers are not as sensitive or picky as those in VW/Audi products. Having owned a 5 series and and A4, I can testify to the validity of that. With that said, BMW body styles and platforms made after 2002(7 series), 2004(5 series), and 2006(3 series), are far less reliable than their earlier counterparts and are far less DIY friendly.

If I may take one last shot at Audi...there is a saying that I always loved because it fits so perfectly:

"If your check engine light isn't on, you're not driving an Audi."

Last edited by HowdyAudi; 08-12-12 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-03-12, 11:37 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

LOL!!!

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
..."If your check engine light isn't on, you're not driving an Audi."
More or less what I heard when I was looking at the W210 E-Class...

If you want to have a Mercedes that doesn't rust, don't buy a Mercedes....

I really like the D2's, just a nice car, came real close to buying a 01 or 02 S8 (pearl white) for $9k, but they guy decided to do some work to get more $ out of it. With the atrocious mpg of the S8, probably best, my wife would have shot me for that....But it was a beautiful car!
Old 01-03-12, 07:10 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Funny you mention the Mercedes, I was looking into a 2001 C320 because the engine and transmissions are actually quite dependable. I've always loved Mercedes-Benz. It was a 1998 S-class that is responsible for my love of automobiles. It is unfortunate that Mercedes had some serious rust issues on their cars until MY 2005-ish.