GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Regretting Daizen Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 11:10 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
So maybe I should just buy the caster bushings and call it a day hmnn
That's all i have on my ATM, i have the rest of the CA bushings sitting on my desk right now. The car responded greatly to the new caster arm bushings. Much tighter and not harsh at all.
Old 01-12-11, 12:37 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love mine, love the added responsiveness of the steering. Lowered on Teins complete with Daizen control arms, my suspension is quite sporty. But it is definitely HARSH, and they definitely squeak in the cold (must get lubbed monthly during the winter).

Since this is my ONLY sporty car, I love them.

But I look forward to buying a very sporty suspension right from the manufacturer next time (read: GERMAN), because expension mods are costly and add a much harsher than normal ride when you try to get real sporty.

I can't say I regret them, but next time I am buying a purpose-built sporty car (like a BMW or Porsche). Then you don't have to do almost any tweaking to the suspension, you just get rims and cosmetic mods, and the suspension will likely be sporty enough AND it will be compliant.

But my GS430 handles amazingly well, and with the Daizen suspension parts and spacers, I can place the car very accurately in fast-sweeping turns and carry a great line right through the turn.
Old 01-14-11, 05:48 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 to the squeaky in the cold, I'm in Canada and they squeak like crazy first thing in the morning. I've had them in for about 2 months, or about 5k. I don't find the ride too harsh at all, and the squeaking stops after a few minutes.
I'm still on the fence about it being a good idea or not, but I did the work myself, so I saved roughly one million dollars from having the dealership install all new arms.

2002 GS430
300 000 km
Old 01-14-11, 07:55 AM
SoloKaMGS
Lead Lap

Im in Florida i got every single Daizen bushing beside sway bar which im getting installed next week however i have coils and im dumpped and i def adjust how soft or hard i want the ride to be and i def have no squeaks and all the harsh ride. my ride is def on point so im not sure where everyone is having all this problem with bushings.
Old 01-14-11, 08:26 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloKaMGS
Im in Florida i got every single Daizen bushing beside sway bar which im getting installed next week however i have coils and im dumpped and i def adjust how soft or hard i want the ride to be and i def have no squeaks and all the harsh ride. my ride is def on point so im not sure where everyone is having all this problem with bushings.

+1, I also have the Daizen Sway and Bushings on Teins Coilovers.. I have No noises, squeaks or ride harshness. Actually, My car rides better than stock with added handling!!

I wish you guys who have problems would SEARCH and READ Old Threads, Plenty of Lexus Techs who have installed these Daizen Bushings said, "If you hear noises or squeaks, its most likey you installed it incorrect"...

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 01-14-11 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 11:35 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll throw in my 2 cents... Few of us are running the same suspensions. We got a million different configurations for wheel size, tire size, strut choice, spring choice, coilovers... and then with all the freaking REAL suspension mods??? Just sayin' we all got our own setups.

my ride...
espelir springs - super soft, OEM-type ride
KYB shocks - soft, OEM-type ride
TRD sways - rock freakin solid, nothing OEM bout these
20" wheels - obviously harsher ride
Fat tire setup - Helps with the 20's a lil

Anyway, I tried to keep it as OEM as possible with the springs/shocks and minimize the impact of 20's with fatter tires... Sure as hell, my car rides great. The daizen bushings (ALL of em) were my latest mod. I'd say they degraded the ride quality... maybe 5%. Maybe. All they really did was tighten up the steering/handling.

So I dunno, if you're on the fence about em', try not to let everyone else opinion dissuade ya too much. I'm happy with em. Lil squeaky in sub-30 degree weather, but quiet, firm, and comfy otherwise here

Last edited by JiBBeL; 01-14-11 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 11:53 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a set of daizens sitting next to my desk for 2 years almost....glad this thread popped up.
Old 01-14-11, 12:03 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
I'll throw in my 2 cents... Few of us are running the same suspensions. We got a million different configurations for wheel size, tire size, strut choice, spring choice, coilovers... and then with all the freaking REAL suspension mods??? Just sayin' we all got our own setups.

my ride...

Anyway, I tried to keep it as OEM as possible with the springs/shocks and minimize the impact of 20's with fatter tires... Sure as hell, my car rides great. The daizen bushings (ALL of em) were my latest mod. I'd say they degraded the ride quality... maybe 5%. Maybe. All they really did was tighten up the steering/handling.

So I dunno, if you're on the fence about em', try not to let everyone else opinion dissuade ya too much. I'm happy with em. Lil squeaky in sub-30 degree weather, but quiet, firm, and comfy otherwise here

So out of all you're suspension mods is it safe to say that the TRD sways made the biggest improvement? I'm still kinda on the fence about installing the remaining Daizen bushings but if they help tighten up steering and handling then i might as well do this even though they 'may' give a little harsher ride.
Old 01-14-11, 12:46 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL

my ride...

Side question:

How is your sag in the back with a medium load? Like 2 adults or a couple kids + groceries? Mine is more then I expected. I'm also on Espelir and KYBs.
Old 01-14-11, 12:54 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLcoats
So out of all you're suspension mods is it safe to say that the TRD sways made the biggest improvement? I'm still kinda on the fence about installing the remaining Daizen bushings but if they help tighten up steering and handling then i might as well do this even though they 'may' give a little harsher ride.
Ya, TRD sways was the best money I ever spent on the GS. In hindsight, I would have combined Bilstein sport shocks, Eibach progressive springs, and the TRD blue sway bars for a sportier ride... but I'm happy with the sport-touring ride quality I got now. Those big 25 mph off-ramps at 60mph are a blast with the TRD sways. Pancake. Flat.

Originally Posted by Debonair
Side question:

How is your sag in the back with a medium load? Like 2 adults or a couple kids + groceries? Mine is more then I expected. I'm also on Espelir and KYBs.
I put a 40 lb bag of dog food in the trunk and went from 1-2 finger gap in back to tucking tire yesterday. That give ya an idea? It's soft, that's for sure I don't have aggressive offsets though, so I don't rub. And with the 20's increased tire size, it rides higher than it did with my 18's, so now I don't ever worry about speed bumps, curb stops, or anything. I haven't bottomed out or scraped in a looong time.
Old 01-14-11, 09:47 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

I dont like my daizen install either, I bought a press and only installed the caster arms. I am going to buy new OEM ones and replace them again.
But on other hand I replaced the steering rack bushings and LOVED THOSE
and front and rear sway bar bushings those were good.
Just did not like the caster arm bushings also I dunno caster is not in alignment spec
Old 01-14-11, 09:51 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I've been having vibrations on the freeway that shake the whole car after the caster arm bushing install. Do i just need to get it aligned? From about 70 up the steerwheel shakes pretty violently and the whole front of the car vibrates unsteadily.
Old 01-14-11, 10:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Possibly. A former GS3 member here told me that when he got his installed, his alignment specs were so off that the tires were screeching while he was driving. Your alignment is definitely off right now.
Old 01-15-11, 06:43 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I've been having vibrations on the freeway that shake the whole car after the caster arm bushing install. Do i just need to get it aligned? From about 70 up the steerwheel shakes pretty violently and the whole front of the car vibrates unsteadily.
Please tell me you got an alignment after doin the bushing installation
Old 01-15-11, 07:57 AM
rathena
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the thread on bushing. Lexus has recommend having my lower assembly suspension arm replaced $849 because the bushings are bad. The bushings on the ARM SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION, LOWER NO.2. My car makes a squaking sound when I go over a bump or stop. Does anyone know the exact name of these bushings? I have ordered the bushing kit from Daizen, but they are on backorder so I plan to cancel my order. I have found control arm bushings at http://www.**************/carparts/l...tings+Page%3A1, but I do not know if these are the correct bushings.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Regretting Daizen Install