GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HOW HIGH is too high...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 08:02 AM
jimmymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW HIGH is too high...

When buying a car like this...do I need to stay away from the 125,000 and up range or if I find a clean car in this range for under 8000.00 let's say, should I buy it?

If I do am I looking at a maintenance, tranny nightmare. Your thoughts on longevity. Or do they just last forever as long as regular maintenance is done. Thanks.
Old 01-11-11, 08:11 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus is a Lexus.. It'll last forever as long as you care for it the way you should. You can easily DIY half of the regular maint that the car needs.

Only thing you need to look at/change on the GS's when you get the car is the Lower Ball Joints.
Old 01-11-11, 08:26 AM
jimmymac
Driver School Candidate

how much are ball joints
Old 01-11-11, 08:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

seriously....new people should be banned from making new posts before searching
Old 01-11-11, 08:36 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You've got a lot of threads to read. First thing to look at is the vehicle maintenance and most importantly (and expensively) the timing belt/water pump service. Power steering and alternators will probably start failing between 150-200k. Most of your gaskets will need to be replaced in this time period as well just like most cars. Drain and refill the tranny fluid a few times (don't flush) so you don't shock it. After the engine/tranny is running great move your attention to the suspension and braking components. The more you replace, the better you're car will feel and stop. Good luck with your new car purchase! Even though it's a Lexus, it's still a 10+ year old car that will need some TLC.
Old 01-11-11, 08:45 AM
jimmymac
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys...don't ban me
Old 01-11-11, 08:58 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
seriously....new people should be banned from making new posts before searching
LOL. You are terrible.

-------------------

As for OP.. Like Tabaka said.. Water Pump and Timing Belt are one thing to check.. I forgot all about that.

It's part of the 90k maint, but some people let it go without doing it. That will run you around 1k for parts + labor.

Also i'd change spark plugs and while you're in there (Tabaka stated) change the gasket.. Most likely they will be leaking. My car had 139k on it when I got my spark plugs changed and mine were leaking and had to be replaced. I'd also sea foam your car.. It'll definitely show a difference. We have plenty of threads on how to sea foam your car properly etc.. Also i'd do this BEFORE changing in your new spark plugs. Once you Sea Foam you're going to want to to an oil change and spark plug change soon after (less than 100 miles after). While you're under your car i'd also do the differential fluid.. Might as well. It would be a good idea to clean your throttle body and mass air flow sensor and if your engine air filter needs replacing i'd do that too.

To be honest though I wouldn't worry about the alternator right away or power steering. You're going to want to do those Lower Ball Joints asap because if they break, then your wheels fall off and it could possibly cost you 1500+ easily if the damage to your car is that bad.

So to basically sum it up for you in order to do things (IMO).

-: Check that Water Pump/Timing Belt has been done (if not i'd try and get it done within a month or two)
-: Check LBJ's and get them replaced (you might want to do your tie rods while you're down there also)
-: Sea Foam
-: Oil Change/Tranny/Differential
-: Spark Plugs
-: TB & MAF Cleaning

Those should be the main points on your to do list.. GL.
Old 01-11-11, 09:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
To be honest though I wouldn't worry about the alternator right away or power steering. You're going to want to do those Lower Ball Joints asap because if they break, then your wheels fall off and it could possibly cost you 1500+ easily if the damage to your car is that bad.
keep a eye on them ESPECIALLY if you have a 1998-2000 they had a issue with the power steering dripping onto the alternator and frying the alternator out thus leading to them both needing to be replaced. they corrected this in the 2001+ models though

here is a HELPFUL DIY post OP and you can search and find anything and just read....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

you could spend weeks reading this one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-newbies.html

Last edited by sakataj; 01-11-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-11-11, 09:32 AM
jimmymac
Driver School Candidate

great info!
Old 01-11-11, 10:58 AM
fastryan
Driver

you need to crunch some numbers here before any decision is made. i purchased my gs4 with 50,000 mi. and it now has 100,000. i have had to replace the following

-brakes front and rear
-front ball joints
-lower control arm bushings
-shocks
-fuel filter
-spark plugs
-trans. service
-timing belt and water pump (now the car sound like crap, mechanic says he doesn't hear what i do....yeah right)
-o2 sensors
-steering rack bushings
- now it needs a brake master cyl. ( 2k )

so.....good luck. reliability comes at a steep price with these cars, and is it really reliable if you have to keep pumping cash into the vehicle? or is it just at the EXPENSIVE part of its life?
i dunno guys and girls, my acura went 220,000 without so much as cv joints and a timing belt.
on this car, i have spent almost half of what i purchased the car for, on repairs. and i have only had it for 2 1/2 years.

Last edited by fastryan; 01-11-11 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added more
Old 01-11-11, 11:14 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fastryan
you need to crunch some numbers here before any decision is made. i purchased my gs4 with 50,000 mi. and it now has 100,000. i have had to replace the following

-brakes front and rear
-front ball joints
-lower control arm bushings
-shocks
-fuel filter
-spark plugs
-trans. service
-timing belt and water pump (now the car sound like crap, mechanic says he doesn't hear what i do....yeah right)
-o2 sensors
-steering rack bushings
- now it needs a brake master cyl. ( 2k )

so.....good luck. reliability comes at a steep price with these cars, and is it really reliable if you have to keep pumping cash into the vehicle? or is it just at the EXPENSIVE part of its life?
i dunno guys and girls, my acura went 220,000 without so much as cv joints and a timing belt.
on this car, i have spent almost half of what i purchased the car for, on repairs. and i have only had it for 2 1/2 years.
Only thing you really should have replaced in that time is the water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, and then oil/tranny change... All those others seem really ehh to me in a 50k time frame.. Brakes are understandable, but also super easy to do.. Shocks are probably also understandable.. But all 02 Sensors? And Brake Master Cyl? That doesn't sound right at 100k.. Maybe 1 O2 Sensor or something.. Maybe you just picked up a bad Lex?
Old 01-11-11, 11:55 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these toyotas last forever junior.
Old 01-11-11, 12:24 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for mileage, these beasts last forever. It's just small things that you need to take care of. The post's from earlier were really helpful. Be sure to look before asking!
Old 01-11-11, 12:50 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastryan

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Only thing you really should have replaced in that time is the water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, and then oil/tranny change... All those others seem really ehh to me in a 50k time frame.. Brakes are understandable, but also super easy to do.. Shocks are probably also understandable.. But all 02 Sensors? And Brake Master Cyl? That doesn't sound right at 100k.. Maybe 1 O2 Sensor or something.. Maybe you just picked up a bad Lex?
not to mention you sound like you been mistreating your car. i'll use your integra as a example, if your car had 220,000 miles and you didnt ever replace the timing belt your damn lucky it didnt break on you....i believe in preventative maintenance and knock on wood i haven't had but a few major issues with my lexus and i caused one of them
Old 01-11-11, 02:12 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

yo OP this is what i say... If you happy just get the car. Try to get the price as low as possible but at the end of the day if you are happy with your purchase thats all that matters. i bought my car in dec of 2009 for 11k with 62k miles on it. I went upside down on my prev car loan by 6k to get that car so i had to finance 17k for my car... did i pay too much? YES!!!!! do i regret it??? Not at all i love my car and it got me out of my old car that i hated so much. plus even tho i went upside down on my car loan i was still paying less a month so i was happy. Do your research... there are other places than CL that ppl write about issues and reliability with these cars. When i did my research i would find someone pumping gas and ask them hey how is that car? Does it give you any trouble... and in all my research no one had anything bad to say about a lexus. Its a good car no matter what you get. Just make sure it hasnt been abused. And if it has make them drop that price down. You have 45 days before you make your first car note so during that time fix it up instead of paying a car note. Like sakataj said preventative maintenance does help. Ppl have been giving you advice all week about what to do... Apply feedback and go. At the end of the day you are the one paying for your car note and have to look at your bank acct and say is this worth it. so dont worry about what seems too high or not. Not trying to bash you man but you been asking the same questions and everyone has been trying to help. But we can only do so much. Go look test drive and look at some cars. Good luck by the way hope you find the one you want.

Quick Reply: HOW HIGH is too high...