GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

WTF...I must have sandpaper hands or something.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 02:52 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default WTF...I must have sandpaper hands or something.

I don't understand it...when I am driving I usually rest my right hand on the shift ****; the leather on top of my damn shift **** always wears away! This is the 2nd shift **** in 3 years and it's doing this. I REFUSE to spend another $200+ bucks on another one...and try to get the stupid wood color to match.

Do you guys have worn shift *****? I wish Lexus went a little lower with the wood wrapping; the leather wrapping is right on the edge at the top - exactly where all the wear occurs. It looks like garbage.
Old 01-11-11, 02:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i have one...im used to driving a stick and i keep my hand on it....

i have been through my OEM one (which wasnt in great shape when i got it) and im almost through a replacement one but i bought it used and it had some wear on it.

the last one i took apart to see if i could just re-wrap it, then i found a good used one and scrapped the whole idea
Old 01-11-11, 03:04 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow man. get some aloe vera moisturizer

i don't have the issue since i have a wood grain shift ****.
Old 01-11-11, 03:10 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same with mine i guess its just all the rubbing over time that rubs off the "so called" leather.
Old 01-11-11, 03:15 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

maybe make like a little shift **** mitt, or sleeve to go on it lol..

sounds funny but i'm serious, maybe you could cover it with something to avoid wear, either that or keep replacing them?

I haven't had this issue yet, but the longest i've kept one of my GS's is maybe 9 months or something, i plan on keeping this one though so i guess i'll find out
Old 01-11-11, 03:21 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aka paco

sounds funny but i'm serious, maybe you could cover it with something to avoid wear, either that or keep replacing them?

I haven't had this issue yet, but the longest i've kept one of my GS's is maybe 9 months or something, i plan on keeping this one though so i guess i'll find out
hahaha. now that i think of it, one of my buddies back at school used to put a bandana on his aftermarket aluminum shift **** during the summer.
Old 01-11-11, 03:37 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jspecdan
wow man. get some aloe vera moisturizer

i don't have the issue since i have a wood grain shift ****.
+1 to woodgrain shift **** I love mine.

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I don't understand it...when I am driving I usually rest my right hand on the shift ****; the leather on top of my damn shift **** always wears away! This is the 2nd shift **** in 3 years and it's doing this. I REFUSE to spend another $200+ bucks on another one...and try to get the stupid wood color to match.

Do you guys have worn shift *****? I wish Lexus went a little lower with the wood wrapping; the leather wrapping is right on the edge at the top - exactly where all the wear occurs. It looks like garbage.
Maybe you grip the shift **** too hard? Or maybe you can start a new fad and drive with one glove one.

Dont think you will have that problem since you have a GGP sport design like me... You should have the wood shift ****
Old 01-11-11, 03:41 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

I think it's the moisture from your palm, especially if you tend to sweat more than normal. That would break down the paint in the leather and wear down the leather itself. Try driving gloves, and it should prevent premature wear, or like others have suggested, a little "boot" for your shifter ****.
Old 01-11-11, 03:48 PM
ThirdHonk
Rookie

Mine's a little worn too. I'm thinking of just buying another simple black ****. Nothing flashy.
Old 01-11-11, 04:10 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OT0814
+1 to woodgrain shift **** I love mine.

Dont think you will have that problem since you have a GGP sport design like me... You should have the wood shift ****
Yeap i forgot about that, my two previous GS's had the leather/wood, just double checked mine though yeah its all the black wood..

I did see oem shift **** with black wood and black leather, was that one newer year SD's or something?
Old 01-11-11, 04:15 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Just get the all wood shift **** from the Sport Design or a SC430. That's what I have and I love it.
Old 01-11-11, 04:17 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Yeap i forgot about that, my two previous GS's had the leather/wood, just double checked mine though yeah its all the black wood..

I did see oem shift **** with black wood and black leather, was that one newer year SD's or something?

Not sure. Ive seen it also but i mostly see those on the 3rd gen gs. I have a problem actually with my steering wheel. I wish they made a black wood steering wheel for us SD ppl
Old 01-11-11, 04:17 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
i have one...im used to driving a stick and i keep my hand on it.
That must be why you guys clutch onto the shift ****. I'm not use to driving a car with stick shift. I would say my own is in great condition because the only other thing my hand is clutching is my cell phones.
Old 01-11-11, 04:22 PM
OT0814
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
That must be why you guys clutch onto the shift ****. I'm not use to driving a car with stick shift. I would say my own is in great condition because the only other thing my hand is clutching is my cell phones.
Tsk Tsk Dont drive and Text.... yea yea whatever im the same way lol. Im always on the phone in my car.
Old 01-11-11, 04:22 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

put a sock on it, seriously... take it off when you pimpin

Quick Reply: WTF...I must have sandpaper hands or something.