GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sound Quality of 3.5mm Aux Mod to OEM Radio from factoryradioservice.com

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 05:37 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sound Quality of 3.5mm Aux Mod to OEM Radio from factoryradioservice.com

I am considering sending my 1999 GS300 radio to the guys at factoryradioservice.com and having them modify the head unit to add a 3.5mm AUX audio In jack to the front faceplate. The service costs around $60.00 plus shipping to/from. The photos of their work look pretty good, but I'm having trouble finding any information on exactly how it sounds.

My question is this-- If there is anyone with this type of modification (3.5mm) that can speak to the sound quality. I'd like to get some real experience opinions on the sound as compared to USB/iPod dock port vs. this 3.5mm option. I know the iPod/MP3 player will likely have to use its internal power to drive the sound.

I'm not sure how they tie the new aux jack into the unit. I would assume its some type of direct wiring work. If this option produces sound quality similar to FM modulation or the cassette adaptor, I'll pass and consider trying PureDrifter's mod. Any input would be appreciated here.

-Brian
Old 01-12-11, 08:14 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pizitz70
I am considering sending my 1999 GS300 radio to the guys at factoryradioservice.com and having them modify the head unit to add a 3.5mm AUX audio In jack to the front faceplate. The service costs around $60.00 plus shipping to/from. The photos of their work look pretty good, but I'm having trouble finding any information on exactly how it sounds.

My question is this-- If there is anyone with this type of modification (3.5mm) that can speak to the sound quality. I'd like to get some real experience opinions on the sound as compared to USB/iPod dock port vs. this 3.5mm option. I know the iPod/MP3 player will likely have to use its internal power to drive the sound.

I'm not sure how they tie the new aux jack into the unit. I would assume its some type of direct wiring work. If this option produces sound quality similar to FM modulation or the cassette adaptor, I'll pass and consider trying PureDrifter's mod. Any input would be appreciated here.

-Brian
Why not just do PD's method? That way you know your getting the best possible sound, plus you won't have any cables hanging out the front of your radio, whether it be from a tape adapter or 3.5mm jack.
Old 01-12-11, 08:34 AM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

i got it done there and i think it sounds pretty good. seems to work well and sounds fine at least to me. what's pd's mod??
Old 01-12-11, 08:41 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J$mooth23
i got it done there and i think it sounds pretty good. seems to work well and sounds fine at least to me. what's pd's mod??
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...em-stereo.html
Old 01-12-11, 11:56 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

i just ran some rca wire to the output signal from the cd player as per PD thread ^^^^ attach it to a 3.5mm to rca and bam!!! i have now my alpine bluetooth interface running with no problem beside when i switch to Fm i have pause the player cause it comes in thur the headunit on that signal as well ....and its a alot cheaper too($15 or less) and cleaner in my opinion no wires
Old 01-15-11, 03:07 AM
CLGForce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neojungle1
i just ran some rca wire to the output signal from the cd player as per PD thread ^^^^ attach it to a 3.5mm to rca and bam!!! i have now my alpine bluetooth interface running with no problem beside when i switch to Fm i have pause the player cause it comes in thur the headunit on that signal as well ....and its a alot cheaper too($15 or less) and cleaner in my opinion no wires
isn't it the input signal to the radio?
Old 01-15-11, 02:58 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

nah there output back in to the stereo i have it like that on 00 pioneer system
u can use the harness from the cd changer which i found to be the easies route to patch into
Old 01-19-11, 06:58 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Originally Posted by J$mooth23
Jsmooth23,

I just sent you a PM with a few questions about what you had done to your radio by factoryradioservice.com. Looking forward to your reply.

thanks,
Brian
Old 01-19-11, 10:51 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

my brain just fried itself looking at the pictures
Old 01-19-11, 11:04 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

its not really a difficulty circuit to built but ive concluding that its not really needed in my own opinion...just tap the output to the headunit with some RCA or a female 3.5mm jack givse the same effect. case in put last night i had the stereo on(blank station )and i forgot to switch over to cd i was fine for a over a hour when i notice a track wasnt as loud ...duh i forgot to switch over
Old 01-28-11, 08:48 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Well folks, after reading posts, thinking it over and some email communication with the guy at factoryradioservice.com, I will soon be able to answer my own question. I have shipped my unit to them for the AUX-in modification service. Once I get it back, reinstall it and test, I'll post again on my opinion of the work and sound quality.

-Brian
Old 02-01-11, 10:05 PM
Daveychan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Apology for hijacking your thread!

... but i'm desperate to get a reply to my inquiry on wiring the AUX input with a DC blocker.

If you don't mind?....

i'm a total dork and very nervous about doing this. (I've already tried a GROM adapter with no luck (Lexus SC430 - 2001 - Japanese indigenous/premiere model), so i'm returning that now and I'll give this method a shot.)

After reading through this several times, i've created a "layman's" wiring diagram for myself. I'd like to post this here in order to confirm that my information is correct.

Would you mind taking a look at it and correcting any mistakes i might have made? I'd hate to ruin my stereo because i didn't bother to check my plan with people who actually know what they are doing...

Please and Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Sound Quality of 3.5mm Aux Mod to OEM Radio from factoryradioservice.com-lexus-wiring.jpg  
Old 02-01-11, 10:12 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no need for a ground loop isolator.

I took mine off last summer and I think I still have this laying around in my trunk or somewhere...if anybody in Chicago wants this for free, let me know. No I won't ship it.
Old 02-01-11, 10:20 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daveychan
... but i'm desperate to get a reply to my inquiry on wiring the AUX input with a DC blocker.

If you don't mind?....

i'm a total dork and very nervous about doing this. (I've already tried a GROM adapter with no luck (Lexus SC430 - 2001 - Japanese indigenous/premiere model), so i'm returning that now and I'll give this method a shot.)

After reading through this several times, i've created a "layman's" wiring diagram for myself. I'd like to post this here in order to confirm that my information is correct.

Would you mind taking a look at it and correcting any mistakes i might have made? I'd hate to ruin my stereo because i didn't bother to check my plan with people who actually know what they are doing...

Please and Thanks!
for some reason, I seem to have a lot more wires from each pot than your drawing... you might be missing a few that goes from one switch to another?
Old 02-01-11, 10:30 PM
Daveychan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, i'm so sorry! I should have mentioned that this is the diagram for the CD hack through the set of cables found under the shifter from this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...n-your-sc.html!

Quick Reply: Sound Quality of 3.5mm Aux Mod to OEM Radio from factoryradioservice.com