GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my GS KEEPS SHAKING!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 06:45 PM
trickz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my GS KEEPS SHAKING!!

having a problem with my gs it keeps shaking when i stop and when im going 50 or 60mph with my stock 16's and now my 20's dont know what the problem is. i looked at the sway bar and the bushings and they all look right .. do you think the rear could affect the front of the car?

UPDATE: I just changed my rotors and pads thinking the rotors might be warped but it still shaking they said i need balljoints on both sides is that a possibilty why it shakes at around 50-60 ? i already did alignment and balance

Last edited by trickz; 02-25-11 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 07:22 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

No, the rear will never cause a shake at the front of the car. It could be a multitude of things, start with a wheel balance if you haven't already. And check the bolts on the sway bar. Someone else solved their shaking by tightening the bolts up because they had loosened a little.

Don't just go replacing things yet, that won't get you anywhere without narrowing what could be causing it.
Old 01-18-11, 07:36 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you sure your LCA#2 aren't worn out? next is to check your brake discs, see if they need to be resurfaced or replaced (warped). how are your struts, blown?
Old 01-18-11, 08:17 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Very common symptoms of warped brake discs.
Old 01-18-11, 08:53 PM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3mike
you sure your LCA#2 aren't worn out? next is to check your brake discs, see if they need to be resurfaced or replaced (warped). how are your struts, blown?
my suspension has a clunk when i hit a bump but its nothing big. LCA 2 where is that do you have pic of it by any chance
Old 01-18-11, 08:54 PM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Very common symptoms of warped brake discs.
yea i was told it can be that also but the shaking is sometimes very heavy i can see my hood shaking
Old 01-18-11, 08:55 PM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by RoboRam12
No, the rear will never cause a shake at the front of the car. It could be a multitude of things, start with a wheel balance if you haven't already. And check the bolts on the sway bar. Someone else solved their shaking by tightening the bolts up because they had loosened a little.

Don't just go replacing things yet, that won't get you anywhere without narrowing what could be causing it.
ill check it out ill take off the plastic protection on the bottom and look through it all
Old 01-18-11, 09:31 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trickz
my suspension has a clunk when i hit a bump but its nothing big. LCA 2 where is that do you have pic of it by any chance
that clunk should be fixed asap, that's a sign your lower ball joints are going out, and the lower control arms #2 is the arm that's attached directly to your car's frame.

its the bushing that's in the "s" shape arm on the left.
Old 01-19-11, 11:25 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Carson Toyota has a group buy on those bushings...but polyurethane...might be harsher ride tho.
Old 01-20-11, 07:32 AM
Sixdown
Driver

I have the same exact issue, but I already replaced the #2 LCA's, ball joints, and tie rods. I even went so far as to replace all tires and have the wheels balanced and aligned to no avail.

Would the upper control arms cause shaking at 65-70mph? It also started shaking again over 90mph.

Also whenever going over road bumps, the right wheel shudders violently and causes the steering wheel to shake, but not if the left wheel goes over bumps. Upper control arm issue?

Edit: forgot to mention that my steering moves all the time at higher speeds causing the car to wander all over the lane. I assume I need to tighten the steering rack.
Old 01-20-11, 08:51 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sixdown
I have the same exact issue, but I already replaced the #2 LCA's, ball joints, and tie rods. I even went so far as to replace all tires and have the wheels balanced and aligned to no avail.

Would the upper control arms cause shaking at 65-70mph? It also started shaking again over 90mph.

Also whenever going over road bumps, the right wheel shudders violently and causes the steering wheel to shake, but not if the left wheel goes over bumps. Upper control arm issue?

Edit: forgot to mention that my steering moves all the time at higher speeds causing the car to wander all over the lane. I assume I need to tighten the steering rack.
steering rack, the rack and pinion. also check your wheel bearings.
Old 01-20-11, 10:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixdown

Wow. Now that's horrific. Do check the rack and pinions.
Old 01-21-11, 01:33 PM
teemerz
Driver School Candidate

same thing was happening to me when i first got my 300. at first i thought because the wheels were off balance, turns out that i had 1 stock oem lug nut on an aftermarket wheel. Aftermarket lugs have a different seat than the fat oem ones. Replaced the stock one with a aftermarket lug and it was back to normal. But that also sounds like you need to resurface your rotors, mines is doing the same when i brake.
Old 01-21-11, 03:38 PM
trickz
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3mike
that clunk should be fixed asap, that's a sign your lower ball joints are going out, and the lower control arms #2 is the arm that's attached directly to your car's frame.

its the bushing that's in the "s" shape arm on the left.
omg dude no joke i was looking at that the other day and it was a little ripped the bushing but i guess that can be the problem. that was a great tip thank you very much and thank you for the pic helps alot
Old 01-29-11, 08:35 PM
oscar430
Driver School Candidate

Had the same issue with My 02 GS430 changed the lower ball joints & sway bar links & no more shimmy.

Quick Reply: my GS KEEPS SHAKING!!