GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm Sick Of Steering Feel!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 01:01 PM
LexFather

We also haven't touched on this but what kind of tires do you have? I have gone through multiple different brands and tires on my car and BY FAR the best ones have been;
1. Michelin PS2s
2. Goodyear Eagle f1 ds-g3

Too many times tires are skimped over and they are what gives you "feel" as well and the 4 parts of the car on the road. The 430 has pretty much every suspension mod except the Toms big braces and the tires made a difference in feel and I am much more confident with them.
Old 01-20-11, 01:28 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We also haven't touched on this but what kind of tires do you have?
Too many times tires are skimped over and they are what gives you "feel" as well and the 4 parts of the car on the road. The 430 has pretty much every suspension mod except the Toms big braces and the tires made a difference in feel and I am much more confident with them.
Great point Mike.. Tires on my car made a world of difference. They are the ONLY thing between you and the road.

And TL you said your fronts were shot... not good as thoses are the steers.
Old 01-20-11, 01:29 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We also haven't touched on this but what kind of tires do you have? I have gone through multiple different brands and tires on my car and BY FAR the best ones have been;
1. Michelin PS2s
2. Goodyear Eagle f1 ds-g3

I'm running 235/35/19 Nitto NT555 in the front. And 275/35/19 Nexon N3000 in the rear. I've gotta say, this combo makes alot of road/tire noise but they're pretty sticky! The rear end still breaks loose alot but the front is pretty stable. I'm changing the front tires to Achilles ATR sport in the next few weeks. My front tires are pretty much shot right now. Could shot front tires also lead to steering wheel shakes?
Old 01-20-11, 01:39 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Could shot front tires also lead to steering wheel shakes?
For sure.. when you had them originally balanced they had more tread on them.. as they wear down they become slightly out of balance. Add this to the sensitive rack we have on our cars and its wobble wobble!
Old 01-20-11, 03:36 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nexen N3000 are the worse tire I've ever used.

PS2's are decent, but they're horrible in the wet.

Favorite performance tire is the Yokohama Advan AD08. Excellent all around tire with slight road noise.
Old 01-21-11, 08:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSJake
Great point Mike.. Tires on my car made a world of difference. They are the ONLY thing between you and the road.

And TL you said your fronts were shot... not good as thoses are the steers.
Jake how is it going! Got pics of the car?

I'm running 235/35/19 Nitto NT555 in the front. And 275/35/19 Nexon N3000 in the rear. I've gotta say, this combo makes alot of road/tire noise but they're pretty sticky! The rear end still breaks loose alot but the front is pretty stable. I'm changing the front tires to Achilles ATR sport in the next few weeks. My front tires are pretty much shot right now. Could shot front tires also lead to steering wheel shakes?
Well that might be the problem, two different brands of tires on the car with 2 different tread patterns. Shot front tires=horrible steering/braking feel.

Originally Posted by Bippu147
Nexen N3000 are the worse tire I've ever used.

PS2's are decent, but they're horrible in the wet.

Favorite performance tire is the Yokohama Advan AD08. Excellent all around tire with slight road noise.
PS2s IMO are decent in the wet. The Goodyears I mentioned are by far the best wet high performance tire I've had, wet traction was out of this world.

I had Yoko AVS 100s in the past, okay tire but not really high performance and I wouldn't get again. Advan's are pretty good.
Old 01-21-11, 09:59 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

AVS's and ADO8's are a completely different tire lol
Old 01-21-11, 12:07 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I'm getting new front tires mounted and balanced today. I'll let you guys know if there are any improvements with this. I'll also jack up the car and try to figure out the steering tensioner adjustment.
Old 01-21-11, 07:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bippu147
AVS's and ADO8's are a completely different tire lol
Which is what I stated.
Old 01-21-11, 07:42 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Got my new Achilles ATR sport's mounted today and the car no longer shakes in the front! I gotta say, the car feel's alot more planted and stable with the new tires. But i've come to realize that the Nexen N3000 suck. They make ALOT of road noise.
Old 01-21-11, 07:47 PM
GS4VIPbOSS
Pole Position

Not feeling the handling on my GS at the moment as well - Work in progress
Old 01-22-11, 08:12 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Got my new Achilles ATR sport's mounted today and the car no longer shakes in the front! I gotta say, the car feel's alot more planted and stable with the new tires. But i've come to realize that the Nexen N3000 suck. They make ALOT of road noise.

Those achilles are actually half decent, that's what i ran super stretched on my green 1st gen, for a super cheap tire they're not bad!
Old 01-22-11, 08:32 AM
SuperiorSC
Lexus Test Driver

i have all the toms underbraces, trd sways, trd diff, and apexi n1 dampers, and i love the way the car handles.
Old 01-22-11, 08:47 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

e36 M3. I just sold my 1997 M3, What a joy to drive. World of difference, but i do love my Lexus alot more as its more modern. Either way, im sure ill eventually add a e36 m3 back to my garage.
Old 01-22-11, 01:02 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I tried doing this on my car, but ended up plugging it back in. With the ECU disconnected, there were hard spots as you turn the steering wheel. It was not linear at all. And really, it didn't give much feel at all...it's just heavier.
I still have mine unplugged. The only time I sometimes get that hard spot is in the parking lot at very low speeds when you are barely moving, then turn the wheel from the immediately from opposite direction. At all other times mine seems to work smoothly with the more weighted feel. I think mine has been unplugged for over a year. Not for everyone, but after owning the BMW, it was better than stock for me.

Quick Reply: I'm Sick Of Steering Feel!