GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-02, 02:27 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool.. its focus now.. not scatter any more... now its definitely brighter in the focus area.. but the problem still stands.. take a look at pic in the far right and far left.... the OEM far right seem to brighten up the wall all better for visibility.. due to the color..

now the far left.. although its light up the wall but that bluish color will again.. be hard to project into the dark pavement..

Just take a piece of black card board... put in front of light and see which light color reflect better....

Still color was cool as hell....

Last edited by Shinchan; 08-14-02 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-14-02, 07:57 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken stopped by with his 7000k hid retrofit from stock hologens. Here's the pic!
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-7000k-vs-8000k-up-close.jpg  
Old 08-14-02, 07:59 PM
enginyr
Banned

from left to right........

My car 8000k / 4300k / ---- Kens car ---- 7000k / 7000k

Remember his housings were designed for Hologens, not HID.

You make your own decision...
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-8000k-vs-7000k.jpg  
Old 08-14-02, 08:02 PM
enginyr
Banned

yuk
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-8000k-vs-7000k-yuk.jpg  
Old 08-14-02, 08:14 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not here to damper anyones mood, especially not you enginyr, but people let's get this straight......

Visibly the blue from 8000k is stunning, but it is a proven fact that the higher on the spectrum you go the darker the light gets. This is why most car companies use 4100k HID instead of 8000k. 4100k is closest to pure white (light from the sun). If someone here can find something brighter then the sun you let me know.
Old 08-14-02, 08:59 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Prices anyone? Are the 6000 and 8000 bulbs the same price??
Old 08-14-02, 09:03 PM
enginyr
Banned

I'm not sure what the 5000's cost but the 8000's retail for over $250 each!

I, ofcourse got the hooooook up (hush hush)
Old 08-14-02, 09:05 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

The blue is cool, but $500 for 8000's are a joke. Look like I will stick with the 4300 stockies....
Old 08-14-02, 09:57 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

$500 for 8000K???? I bought my BMW OEM X5 Hella projectors, BMW OEM Hella ballasts, and Philips OEM 4100K bulbs all for $500 total. The ballasts, themselves are sealed and water-weatherproof. The projector optics create a violet color flicker and at the same time emit 4100K light on the road. The brightness is a lot higher than those pics you posted, and I can guarantee they will last me longer. My bulbs have a +2000 hour lifespan. Last I checked, Korean/Taiwanese manufactured bulbs have an average lifespan of 187 hours.

Sasha, I really don't care what other people do until misinformation is spread and people start taking it for truth. The last thing I want to see is a Lexus on the road with the same cheesy blue lights I see on riced out Civics, but it's your car and you have the right to do whatever you want to it. I just don't want people buying up these 8000K kits with the impression that they are getting brighter, better performing lights. If you understand fully what you are getting with 8000K and decide to go ahead with them, then more power to you. I'm just trying to educate. I'm glad to see many of you are learning though and spreading the knowledge around .
Old 08-14-02, 10:14 PM
enginyr
Banned

Its like the pentium 4 2.6 giga hertz. When it first comes out, its hella expensive. Wait 2 years and you'll pick it up for pennies. The question is........How long can you wait....

By the way if you want the full ballast and 5000k bulbs. You can get it right now for $550.

But.....If you want the true blue hid's, you'll have to get the 8000k upgrade which no one has yet.

all this talk about performance here...lets end it Lex400sc. These are bulbs, not turbos.

Picture attached adds 2-3 Rwhp
Attached Thumbnails Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!-clear-lights.jpg  
Old 08-14-02, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Synergy
The blue is cool, but $500 for 8000's are a joke. Look like I will stick with the 4300 stockies....
like i said today, i can get philips 6000k hid bulbs for ya for 250 a pair. philips brand

6000k hid conversion kit would be around 500
Old 08-14-02, 11:16 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by enginyr
Its like the pentium 4 2.6 giga hertz. When it first comes out, its hella expensive. Wait 2 years and you'll pick it up for pennies. The question is........How long can you wait....

By the way if you want the full ballast and 5000k bulbs. You can get it right now for $550.

But.....If you want the true blue hid's, you'll have to get the 8000k upgrade which no one has yet.

all this talk about performance here...lets end it Lex400sc. These are bulbs, not turbos.

Picture attached adds 2-3 Rwhp

Okay, gloves come off. Are you kidding me??? You think that 8000K bulbs are some new top secret technology that only Vision---a second class, b-grade bulb manufacturer---and other startup companies have the formula to, and that Philips and Osram are scrambling aimlessly trying to develop something similar? Here's the truth plain and simple: Philips and Osram have been doing this for decades. They have a monopoly on the OEM 4100K market. They've created the most perfect mixture yet of noble gases, liquids, and alkali earth metals inside the bulb to give you the best lighting and best endurance possible. Actually Philips is the industry leader, Osram is still struggling to keep pace with them. So basically there is no room in the market for some no-named company with low R&D funds to jump into and start making bucks on 4100K bulbs. So what do they do? They appeal to the niche ricer crowd with their "unique" blue and purple crap bulbs. That's the only way they can make money. Selling BS to uninformed people who think the higher the Kelvin the better and brighter. Apparrently this business strategy works for them . There is one problem with these bulbs aside from their poor performance. Yes Steve, there is such thing as "lighting performance". If you need me to sit down and explain it to you in detail, I don't mind at all, but I won't right now because MOST people understand what that means. Anyway, I digress. These 8000K bulbs contain a rich mixture of xenon, which corrodes the electrodes prematurely and causes bulb failure. Aside from that, they are already built with very poor quality control and workmanship failure is a very common problem as well. What else? The blue light. Well if you're familiar with the physics of light, you'll know that green, blue, and violet light is higher on the light spectrum than red, orange, and yellow. This means that solid state blue light emitted from your headlight has a much larger wavelength and thus dissipates quicker. This wide light radiation translates into glare. Glare is light distortion, and blue glare effect eyesight, especially true at night time. What else? The blue tinted road you're drive behind has poor contrast, meaning it's harder for you to see ***** in the middle of the road like dead skunks, deer, broken glass, etc. What else? Blue light is fatiguing to the eyes. Don't believe me, drive four hours at night with those lights on and see how it effects you physiologically. I'm done for now.
Old 08-14-02, 11:36 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up thank you...lex

lex,

just want to complement you for taking time and effort informing guys like myself on this hid topics...

if you could, please tell me on the stock GS4, would a switch to, say, D2R(or D2S, forgot which again) bulbs from jan at suvlights.com or the site that manarya held the hid groupbuy(from europe) make the stock 4100k system emits more blue or purpleish light similar to those found on audi/bmws?

i do not want short bulb life similar to those cheesy wannabes on the ricermoblies

thanks a lot

william
Old 08-15-02, 12:41 AM
enginyr
Banned

I like the blue, you like white.... end of story.

By the way, Osram is winning the battle.....I am currently designing medical lighting equipment for burton medical. They are switching all their phillips dichroic bulbs to Sylvania Osram bulbs.

what a small world.

Lex400sc, you seem very knoledgeable, but this is all rice to me. Bulbs, exhaust, intake, rims, stb's .....you name it
Old 08-15-02, 12:50 AM
enginyr
Banned

Default Re: thank you...lex

Originally posted by gs4will
lex,

just want to complement you for taking time and effort informing guys like myself on this hid topics...

if you could, please tell me on the stock GS4, would a switch to, say, D2R(or D2S, forgot which again) bulbs from jan at suvlights.com or the site that manarya held the hid groupbuy(from europe) make the stock 4100k system emits more blue or purpleish light similar to those found on audi/bmws?

i do not want short bulb life similar to those cheesy wannabes on the ricermoblies

thanks a lot

william
GS4will email me for the Bluest HID bulb you can get without a lense infront like the audi/bmw.... Steve@LexusGrill.com

I saw you at the meet....nice ryde!

also these bulbs are guaranteed for 2000 hours I think also

Quick Reply: Getting 8000k HID upgrade today....awwwwwwe shucks!